Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • What's Middleton like?
  • scaled
    Free Member

I know there’s a fair few of you lot up that way.

Other than the obvious benefit of being able to ride to a MNPR at Phillips park, what’s the area like?

House prices down south (Trafford) are insane

perchypanther
    Free Member

Kate or Pippa?

ads678

I guess you’re not talking about Middleton in Leeds?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a bit like Upperton, but also a bit like Lowerton. Somewhere in between, I suppose.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s a bit posher than Chadderton.

robware
    Free Member

I work there. It’s not exactly the most well off place in the world. There’s some nice bits dotted about the place, but not somewhere I’d like to live for fear of being burgled. Cars have been broken in to at work and, most recently, wheels taken. Depends how arsed you are about such things.

IHN

It’s like Gorton, but without the charm.

RustySpanner

Depends.
    Bits of it are nice, Rhodes, most of Alkrington.
    Some bits I’d avoid, but it varies almost street by street in some areas.

Look at Prestwich/Whitefield too, same type of property and prices,but much, much nicer overall.

Bury itself is great, apart from the bit you see when you drive through.

Rawtenstall is a great little town if you can face being that far north, but Haslingdon and Bacup to the west and east aren’t.

finbar
    Free Member

Isn’t Middleton one of the most common village names in the UK? I can think of at least two in Derbyshire, and neither of them are the one I think you’re talking about.

andy4d

Is that not the place near Cork in Ireland where they make Jameson whiskey……

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Newhey, near the 62, metrolink, villagey, couple of decent pubs, a lack of white range rovers, superb access to moorland bridleways, relatively reasonable property prices.

Sundayjumper

Cars have been broken in to at work and, most recently, wheels taken

I honestly didn’t think that still happened !

unovolo
    Free Member

It’s a bit posher than Chadderton.

Which isn’t saying much really, neither areas are ones I’d aspire to live in and I live near Hyde whose claims to fame so far are the Moors Murderers, Harold Shipman and cop Shooter Dale Creegan.

MSP

Which isn’t saying much really, neither areas are ones I’d aspire to live in and I live near Hyde whose claims to fame so far are the Moors Murderers, Harold Shipman and cop Shooter Dale Creegan.

And Ricky Hatton, he only tried to kill himself a couple of times so it can’t be all that bad.

totalshell

i would nt leave a dog t##d unattended in middleton.. cracking down to earth working class folks and some right cider drinkers.. decent lisure centre, covered market and a big tesco.. keep well away from any of the estates at any time of the day especially langley.. it is a poverty stricken area in a poverty stricken county..i work there most weeks and worked full time in the archers shopping centre at one point.. if i had to live locally i d stretch to heywood/failsworth/moston/newton heath or littleborough just outside of rochdale a little further afield

fergal
    Free Member

Downtown Grozny.

cdoc
    Free Member

Newhey, near the 62

This is a good option, along with milnrow, littleborough and the delph side of things.
    Slightly biased as i live here and there is some great riding on the doorstep!
    Also, i regularly work in Middleton and hate the place.

Mackem

It’s near nicer places and has this pub..

http://www.jwlees.co.uk/locations/the-olde-boars-head

Personally, I’d be looking at Bury (well, I will be)

Bregante

What Rusty said. Alkrington and Rhodes are nice. Langley isn’t. If you have a particular road or narrow area in mind Kai, drop me an email and I’ll give you some specifics.

ocrider

Disappointed this isn’t a whiskey related thread 🙁

scaled
    Free Member

For reference, there’s only one Middleton you can ride to a mnpr from.

Also, I currently live in northern moor, Wythenshawe, so ghetto living isn’t unfamiliar to me.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not the worst shit hole in Manchester but a shit hole none the less.

Yup Langley bagrat and bandit town.

Watched a pretty decent street brawl round there a few years back 😆

crispyrice

Tastes an bit like anesthetic to me

ocrider

Not as much as Ledaig

technicallyinept
    Free Member

House prices down south (Trafford) are insane

Stretford too ghetto for you?

dazh

Few miles further north and you’re in Tod 😉

A quick check on rightmove seems to suggest that property prices are about the same too. We’ve got plenty scallies here too, just to make you feel at home 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

moston/newton heath

😆

Yeah right 🙄

Of all the subjects ever to come up on STW this is one I can confidently call myself an expert on.Email in profile.

RustySpanner

🙂

Tod’s ok, apart from perpetual darkness, webbed feet and an interesting attitude to strangers.
    🙂

Some really good shouts up there, but Moston and Newton Heath?

I’m from Moston. It was a nice little place in the 70’s.
    BAe and Ferranti closed in the 80’s, heroin moved in and everyone who could moved out. Quickly.
    Only just now recovering, largely due to West African immigrants who have transformed the place for the better – shops open, schools full of very pleasant kids desperate to learn.

Newton Heath is much like Moston was in the 80’s.

Also avoid Miles Platting, Monsall, Harpurhey, Beswick, Cheetham Hill, most of Blackley and anywhere adjoining Rochdale.
    Please.

Off ’till next Friday, happy to give you a guided tour if it’d be of any use.

RustySpanner

Sorry nick, crossed post.

Scaled, we could take you to a couple of nice boozers to give you a feel for the area?
    Start at The Milan, then the Shiredale, Old Loom, Mowers, Blue Bell, Gardners.

I was in the Blue Bell last week with relatives.
    It’s always been a codgers pub, genuinely friendly local.
    Hasn’t changed much.
    Loved it.

edhornby

Rusty speaks sense (hello pete hope you’re well 🙂 ) if you can get somewhere in Prestwich then you’ll be taking less of a chance but alk and Rhodes are ok. Have a look around heaton park tram stop or bowker vale to make your money go further, but don’t go too far into cheetham hill

RustySpanner

Fine Ed thanks, happy new year to you lot!

Drop us a line if you fancy a slow ride somewhere in Europe this summer.
    🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I worked in Middleton for a few months about 15 years ago.

To brighten up my day I’d go to the courts in Oldham….

derek_starship
    Free Member

For reference, watch Raining Stones. A film by Ken Loach filmed in Middleton and including panoramas of Langley.

It’s a cracking film actually.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Langley seems to be getting a lot of bad press, last time I drove through I saw a bloke with a beard, wearing skinny jeans sipping a costa latte,I think he was talking to his mate about chainsaws and axes.

binners

I used to ride through Middleton on my commute. The sheer amount of takeaway fried chicken, pizza, and kebab joints there suggest the locals clearly aren’t big on cooking. It must have more per capita than anywhere else in Europe.

It also very nearly elected a UKIP MP last time out. I don’t doubt for a second that next time round, they will.

The only thing its got going for it is that it isn’t Heywood

Harry_the_Spider

Kai, drop me a line. I can give you a tour.

As others have said there are good bits and bad. I live in Simister which is only a couple of miles away.

Bregante

binners – Member

The only thing its got going for it is that it isn’t Heywood

Comparing Middleton favouribly to Heywood would have got you lynched when I was a kid.

onehundredthidiot

Used to park the car in Middleton to commute into Stockbridge. There might be another Middleton.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Good beer comes from Middleton.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s like Gorton, but without the charm.

Not possible

Alkrington is a middle class ghetto in the sea desperation in that area

It does have some decent claims to fame

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Assheton_of_Middleton#Flodden_and_the_Flodden_windows

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What's Middleton like?’ is closed to new replies.