Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Whats Lyme Park like for cyclists?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I seem call there were some trails being built in Lyme Park for mountain biking. I walk my dog in there on occasion but I cant see any trails being or been dug. Are the NT welcoming of cyclists in Lyme or is the majority what looks remotely interesting officially out of bounds? I’ve never cycled in there before so any advice is welcome.

geomickb
    Free Member

This is the latest update I can find:

Latest Access Arrangements at Lyme

The NT are now taking very sensible approach to MTBing (IMHO), the are now managing it, rather than trying to prevent it. I haven’t been there but they try and keep cycling trails and walking trails separate, so you may not be able to see them when walking.

Keep us updated, if you go, it’s not far from me.

Mick

slowoldman

The official cycle routes in Lyme park are not exactly MTB lines. There is one being dug at the moment in Hase Bank Wood (left hand side of that map above) by volunteers led by the cycling advocacy guy from Lyme Park.

However, a lot of cheeky riding goes on which the park know about and turn a blind eye to so long as it’s, erm, kept quiet. If you’ve walked through Lantern Wood or just below Bowstones you will see the evidence. I believe most of it goes on late evening.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Garry_Lager

There are some good trails in Lyme park – south half mainly. There is no official access other than the main EW track, although that may change as Mick indicates. I believe you can expect a bollocking if you bump into a ranger there on your bike, but haven’t experienced this myself. Every local MTBer knows Lyme park, though, it’s not like some sacred ground that mustn’t be trespassed upon.

Go and have an explore via the Bowstones when it’s quiet, or on a night ride, and see what you think. Some of the entrances have very tall gates that are closed at nightfall.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Whats Lyme Park like for cyclists?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts