Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What’s Leeds Urban Bike Park like?
  • tomj
    Free Member

As the title says really. I live north of Leeds and usually ride Dales, Calderdale, Bingley etc. But I’ve been reading about this new bike park and wondered what it’s like. Is it worth a visit and how long will it occupy?

Got a few hrs spare later this week and thinking of riding somewhere – and thought about trying here. Is it fairly all weather? Might make a good winter alternative.

Thanks

slightreturn
    Free Member

I’d also like to know. Wondering if it would be a good place to take our 5year old, to roll over some trail …?

timbog160

Went a few weekends while it was still vaguely summery – it’s great!  Will deffo be going back to practice jumps and pumps – if you’re local you can easily while away a couple of hours there – looked like more expansion happening too!

timbog160

And yes plenty of stuff to keep a 5 year old entertained…

antares
    Free Member

Pump track, bmx track and woodland trail all brilliant. The bit across from the bmx track is a bit crap. I can happily session the woodland trail for 2 or 3 hours

tomj
    Free Member

So for those of you who’ve been here’s my million dollar question. Would you drive 20min to Bingley to do the Bingley Bash (or similar) or 35min to the bike park?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

just go and try it… the woodland trail (as has been echoed above) can be sessioned for a couple of hours easily, and you can make it as hard or as easy as you want, it’s only a 2.5 mile loop but it rewards good riding and skill which it also encourages and kinda teaches… you can do a section then quickly loop back on to that same section again without having to do the whole loop and perfect a bit or try a different line…

and if you don’t like it, then you never have to return and you know for yourself what it’s like. but if you do, and i suspect you will, you’ll be back! win-win for all concerned

ads678

Its bloody brilliant. Not sure about taking a 5 year old on the red trail, just because of the other people using it will be generally riding it pretty hard, and it has some quite big features, although most can be avoided or rolled but all the other bits are fair game. Loads of kids there.

If you only 35 mins away you should definitely give it a go.

tomhoward

Another ‘it’s ace’ from me. I have the added benefit of living 10 mins away 😏

Ash, I’m injured at the moment, but if you pop up in about a month, I’ll come up for a pootle!

ton

it is fantastic, the work that has been put in to create the trail is truly brilliant.

i have the pleasure to ride the trails on my commute to and from work.  just ace.

was there yesterday on my way home from a 60 mile road potter. the cafe does great food. the scones are worthy of a visit themselves.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Went a few weeks ago and it was much better than expected, really enjoyed it. I’d say my give it a go.

spacehopper

Its flipping fantastic now the woodland trail has opened..

plenty to keep a five year old entertained too.. the pump track is usually teaming with kids!
    i might avoid the woodland trail at busy times with a young rider.. but go at a quieter time and its all rollable..

Ive taken my 3 year old daughter around 95% of the trails there in her weeride…

and a couple of weeks ago we went with the new macride..

faster dad!! faster!!

marc
    Free Member

I usually ride the natural stuff in and around Calderdale. But I went last week for the first time, and am going back again tomorrow it’s great fun.

Lots for all ages and abilities to do.

It looks to be pretty weatherproof too.

crazy-legs

Bookmarking this thread really – my two little nieces are reasonably into riding but locally to them (they’re up near York) there’s not a huge amount. They go off to Dalby occasionally but even there the trails are quite limited and the 5yr old had a crisis of confidence a while ago caused by a quite spectacular crash in a kids triathlon so she really needs somewhere with a lot of kids and none of the usual distractions to concentrate on riding and to get her confidence back, I’m hoping from the comments above that this might just be that place.

Pop her somewhere with other kids and she’ll be fine, she just copies them but having adults – me, her parents – try talking her through it or showing her and she won’t have it. We can do it because we’re grown-ups (apparently…). She needs to see kids doing it.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yup good fun all round. Love the BMX track and big tables in the corner. I rode the woods stuff, quarry drops etc before they were surfaced and just locals loamy trails. Looks as though those trails are a lot slicker and better integrated now, with multiple jump lines. Looking forward to going again!

markshires
    Free Member

As above really, now the woodland trail has opened it’s easy to spend a few hours there. As for the kids it is brilliant I’ve took both mine and they will easily lap the pump track over and over again with loads of other kids, also the little blue route is good for them as there’s not normally anyone on it! The cafe is brilliant too.

We made this video before the woodland trail opened, but my lad is 6 and should give you some idea of what there is https://youtu.be/Ehc0NOw5prQ

specky4eyes
    Free Member

Just been and really enjoyed it. Only me there so couldn’t make a fool of myself. Disappointed that my tyres are now covered in dog shit and stink to high heaven.

chrisyork

WHat? Dog walkers using the bike trail and not cleaning up? Ahhh come on, that’s bad! Yeah the bmx track is really good, really pushes you and the trail into the woods is brilliant. Lots of it can just be ridden over and over….get yourself there. Not that impressed with the long red jumps though they’re good and challenging until half way and then you spend your time riding up jumps….not many people can jump uphill 😂

snotrag

Thought I should bump this post. Lived in Leeds most of my life, I’ve been riding all the nearby spots (including Miggy woods) for 20 years.

However despite being 15 min down the road I hadn’t been to the new Bike Park, the last time I was there was for an XC race at the old bikehub/cafe when they had their plans on the wall. I have to admit I thought it was somewhat pie-in-the-sky.

Eventually pulled my finger out I have been a few times now since Christmas, and now I feel like a right prat for not using it in the great Summer of 2018.

Its really, really good. Its been well designed, properly funded, very well thought out etc. Its not often that ‘public’ facilities are done very well but honestly I am really impressed.

Its fabulous for Kids, on a Sunday Morning it is absolutely packed, with a great atmosphere, there’s every type of bike and rider.

The Red trail in the woods is great fun and for a skilled rider is very very fast, and its the first time in years I’ve actually been sessioning sets of Jumps on the main line.

The latest stuff in build looks amazing, properly huge jumps and berms.

The place is crying out for holding an ‘event’ in the Summer, it would be perfect with a PA, a BBQ going, some racing etc.

Highly recommended from me whether your an experience rider who is normally out in the wild, or just want to hold your kids hand round the pump track.

malv173
    Free Member

A friend and I went a few weeks back. It’s brilliant. Some really fun sections in the woodland loop,  and the bmx and pumptrack are great too. The atmosphere was lovely, loads of families, loads of riders of all ages and ability. We drove up from Sheffield, and will be doing it again soonish.

ton

ridden there 4 times this week. the red trail is a cracking bit of fun to liven up my commute.

dthom3uk

Leeds Bike Park is really excellent.

It’s a great place to go and session skills. The woodland trails are ace. They are fast and flowy and are full of fun. All the jumps are rollable if you’re not confident in jumping. The Cafe is excellent and the staff are always friendly.

They are working hard to make this place better all of the time by maintaining the trails and building new ones.

I wish I’d had something like this on the doorstep when I was a kid. Saying that I might never have gone to school!

Chapeau to Jeremy and his team.

moose
    Free Member

Echo all of the above, I will be there tomorrow and for the Tuesday night ride. Great for solo sessioning or with a group.

sparkyrhino

As above, been a couple of times, but always ridden over from Castleford area,not anywhere near fit enough to fully enjoy, so was just a quick scoot around.But have since driven there, and spent a good few hours sessioning the Woodland trails, its a great place to have ,10 mins down the M62.Well done to all involved

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What’s Leeds Urban Bike Park like?’ is closed to new replies.