Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What's happening to Royal Mail ???
  • blastit
    Free Member

Always been great in the past, our postie always signed for parcels and left them in mail box. Worked great for me. We don’t have anyone close by so was pretty safe. So when ordering from CRC I could order Sunday eve and have parts etc Tue/Wed.
    Last time they tried to deliver but I was out and they did not leave parcel. They took it back to depot 10 miles away, I could not re-deliver next day and as it was a Thursday I would have to wait till Monday.

Today they tell me they tried to deliver to my wife at local primary school but no one was in at 15.05pm.FFS

What’s happen to them ? Have they done some improvments ???
    Anyone else noticed a change.

Feel a bit better now for getting that off my chest, shame as it my son’s b/day tomorrow and his Fox Shorts will not arrive in time.

Thanks Si

scaredypants

What’s happening to Royal Mail ???

being dismantled, innit ?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They’ve stopped using rubber bands too. I’m going to have to buy my own now. 👿

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

Seems brilliant to me, over the last few weeks I’ve sent five small parcels 2nd class up and down the country (Ebay sales) and every one arrived next day!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Delivery seems to change all the time. I think there’s a large turnover of posties in my area. Some would sign the package and dump on the doorstep. Handy, although naughty of them. They’d rip the signed bit off in the hope I’d not notice it should have been signed for. Then some would stuff a note through the door to collect when I’m in. Some took it to the local PO walking distance down the road and others to the depot in town. Then the more annoying is delivering next door when neither of us are in at the same time, or the old folks who used to live there wouldn’t answer the door in the evening so I’d have to wait until the morning.

Oh and local post office just got closed without warning.

Rubbish as always. Meanwhile Amazon just keep getting better. I’m on Prime and I’m now getting options for same day delivery. On top of that they’ve also announced I’m eligible for Amazon Now which gives me delivery of certain items within 2 hours!

Amazon leave parcels in a discrete place. Small items posted through without having to sign. Evening deliveries when I’m in. Plus a lot of decent local collection points available.

I just wish CRC could use Amazon for distribution. Frustrates me when I need bike parts asap, but takes CRC a couple of days to actually stick the thing in the post and then who knows how long Royal Mail will take.

CountZero

They’ve stopped using rubber bands too. I’m going to have to buy my own now.

They just chuck handfuls into the grey plastic tubs the mail gets delivered to commercial businesses in. And band bundles of letters with as well. I do still see them dropped in the street, they don’t seem to use red ones any more, though.

devash
    Free Member

In the past three months we’ve had two items gone missing, three 2nd class items turn up after 10 days or over (and only then after I chased them up with the depot) and our postie only seems to come three days a week.

Definitely a change in service quality.

Funny thing is, they were advertising for posties recently. I applied and got rejected. I called them up for some feedback and was told, quote, “you’re too educated”.

Says it all.

postierich
    Free Member

Devash run me through your recruitment process, intrigued to know if it was for processing or delivery?

sadexpunk

i know it doesnt help for receiving mail, but ive been using myparceldelivery.com for posting stuff out myself, sort of like a comparethemarket for parcels. very impressed, just drop the package off at a local shop and a lot cheaper than RM too.

Houns

I used to leave stuff hidden, properly hidden if the person wasn’t in, as I thought I was doing them a favour. Sadly had a few claim I hadn’t delivered it (basically accusing me of stealing) or that it had gone missing. So now, if they’re not in and neighbours aren’t in then it’s going back to the depot, I’m not risking my job to save some *** ***** ****** a trip to the office.
    Bar taking a photo of every delivery on my phone I have no evidence that I delivered it (apart from the PDA GPS that puts me on their doorstep when it’s scanned, but even that isn’t good enough 🙄 ) of course the customer is always right!

So, what I’m saying is, you may have a new postie or your existing postie has thought that it’s more than their job is worth and is now taking things back to ensure all parcels are secure

globalti
    Free Member

Amazon seem to have this problem sorted:

rocketman
    Free Member

No problems here (Stafford). Some of the posties have been there for a while now they know the score and use some common sense.

Even had one of the managers come out the other day with a parcel that had slipped through the net. Had a bit of a chat about the fricken roadworks and the weather and off he went to the next drop.

lunge

I just wish CRC could use Amazon for distribution. Frustrates me when I need bike parts asap

[cough]Use your LBS[/cough]

Kryton57

They’ve stopped using rubber bands too. I’m going to have to buy my own now

There’s an increasing sized pile outside my front door you’re welcome to.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not really noticed any difference from now to before it was sold. It’s still pointless getting things delivered next day as the postman puts a card through your letter box saying unable to deliver it because he has left it at the sorting office, no deliveries on a Wednesday and asking for parcel (assuming they have it with them) to be left with a neighbour is pointless. The queue at the collection office has got much bigger though which makes me think that it’s not just our postman.

mudshark
    Free Member

There’s an increasing sized pile outside my front door you’re welcome to.

Could you post them?

deadkenny
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    [cough]Use your LBS[/cough]

Well apart from the shocking prices (£70 for an XT cassette instead of £30 online !!), a lot of LBS I’ve found don’t have stock of the bits I need or only an expensive option that I wouldn’t normally buy. They will order them in but they’re waiting for their supplier which could be a couple of days, or a week. Sometimes I need it that day or next day, else no ride.

CRC have the stuff in their warehouse (unlike a lot of the small online shops). Their only problem is they don’t get the stuff out the door quick enough.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its a large organisation that has never really known who its customers are. It also didn’t seem to react to the internet fast enough.

If staff don’t know who pays the wages they have no incentive to provide a good service.

Kryton57

Could you post them?

Most likely will be posting them without a stamp addressed to postmaster general very soon.

rocketman
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand as we speak…
    Dear Customer,
    Your item from Chainreactioncycles.com (Tracking No: **********) has now been delivered by Royal Mail.
    Regards,
    Royal Mail.

Go RM!

jonba
    Free Member

Royal mail knows who its customers are and unfortunately it is the ones who pay so the sender not the receiver.

postierich
    Free Member

CRC seem to be using the Tracked Service which in our office seems to be taking over for largish parcels. Most big companies use the service fully trackable for sender to doorstep!

No posties leave parcels in the office and just post the 739 red cards trust me!!

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve just received an Amazon Email, subject as follows:-

“One-hour delivery has arrived in SE England”

I want stuff and I want it NOW ! 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Interesting that Amazon Now is exclusive to mobile app (no Win Phone at present but they said it’s coming). Some have suggested it’s all about harvesting phone details 😉

gears_suck
    Free Member

jonba – Member

Royal mail knows who its customers are and unfortunately it is the ones who pay so the sender not the receiver.
    That’s silly, its both. Without one there wouldn’t be the other would there?

teef
    Free Member

CRC – Just pay the extra £1.99 and get it delivered to the local Collect+ agent. Saves you all the trouble of waiting in for / missing a delivery, it’s faster than RM and much better tracking info.

devash
    Free Member

Devash run me through your recruitment process, intrigued to know if it was for processing or delivery?

Sure Rich. It was for a delivery position including driving. I applied through the RM careers website and had to set up an account / upload my CV.

After a week I received an email saying congratulations, you’ve made it through to the online test phase. There was a couple of links in the email that I had to click through to do two tests, a psychometric test enquiring on my personality and work ethic, and another timed test in which I had to check postcodes for errors.

Supposedly if you pass the tests you then get invited to the local sorting office for an interview but as I hadn’t heard anything for a month after doing these tests I called RM up to get some feedback. The basic gist of the conversation was that I’d passed all the tests but when the local office checked my CV they were worried that I was only interested in the position as a stop-gap in between finding employment “more suitable to my education level”.

A bit disappointing really as I really fancied the job.

daftvader
    Free Member

Devash it’s not that likely to be your education tbh… I have a degree and loads of professional qualifications and have just spent the last 11 years as a postie…

postierich
    Free Member

All the people recently joining our office are using it as a stop gap in between jobs as there are only 24hr contracts available! i.e. lots of graduates people taken early retirement from other well paid skilled jobs.
    RM are on a sticky wicket saying your to intelligent maybe discriminative !

DezB
    Free Member

Rich – I’m going for a PO job next week. Should I dumb down to avoid being discriminated against?

Rubber_Buccaneer

No, you’ll be fine 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

That’s silly, its both. Without one there wouldn’t be the other would there?

If something happens to the parcel, only the sender can successfully try and get compensation from RM, not the receiver.

postierich
    Free Member

😀 @ Dezb

DezB
    Free Member

No, you’ll be fine

Thanks! 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Seems brilliant to me, over the last few weeks, after remortgaging to pay for it, I sent five small parcels 2nd class up and down the country (Ebay sales) and every one arrived next day!

FTFY. 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What's happening to Royal Mail ???’ is closed to new replies.