• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by IA.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whats happened to the 11 speed hope cassettes?
  • damascus
    Free Member

I’ve been running an 11 speed hope cassette for a few years now, 44/11t.

I’m on my 2nd aluminium top cog but it’s got teeth missing and some are bent. I’m hoping to get away with re using the bottom steel cogs as they look OK.

I asked my lbs to get me a replacement but it’s not available from the hope website and I can’t find any online.

Do they just have a lack of stock due to covid and Brexit or have they stopped making it? Just worried they’ve removed it from the website which suggests theyve stopped making them.

I hope not as I have the hope freehub which only fits a hope cassette and I’ll need to change that too! 😪

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hope they’ve not gone either. I’m still getting on really well with my 10-48. Been through a few alu sections but the stainless is still going strong.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve just assumed they aren’t being made anymore? – could be the time consuming and high machining cost Vs lack of demand and ‘progress’ to 12sp…. The cost of other companies highly machined 12sp cassettes range from £250 up now – rotor, kcnc and Ingrid all do cassettes in the £300+ range….

impatientbull

It’s marked as discontinued in the product document section of their website:

https://www.hopetech.com/product-documents/drivetrain/#!11-spd-cassette

damascus
    Free Member

@impatientbull

It’s marked as discontinued in the product document section of their website:

Well spotted.

Bugger! That was an expensive experiment then!

OK, so what reasonably priced 11 speed cassette that doesn’t weigh half a kilo?

swanny853

Sram XG1150, the gx model. All steel, less than 400g, lasts for aaaages. I tend to buy the cheaper chains and change them round reasonably often so it all wears in together but some places seem to suggest the posher chains are worth the money in longevity IIRC.

If you can get one at the moment!

joebristol

Yeah the steel 10-42 Sram cassette lasts ages and is a decent weight. Range is marginally bigger than the 11-46 Shimano / Sunrace 11 speed cassettes. Just run a 30t chainring.

philstone

So one of my friends contacted Hope yesterday about cassettes as he’s got one as well. they said that they’ve stopped making it and have no intention of producing any more batches at all. Pretty poor for what has always been regarded as one of the best companies for support old products. When he asked about a discount on a Shimano or SRAM driver in replacement they told him no chance..!

footflaps

but some places seem to suggest the posher chains are worth the money in longevity IIRC.

Zero Friction Cycling’s tests show that more expensive chains are harder wearing.

damascus
    Free Member

Does anyone know if I can reuse the bearings in the hope fitting freehub in a shimano or sram freehub? Thanks

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a new hope pro 4 hub from my lbs in boost with shimano freehub. Going to see if that improves the chain line over the boost adapters.

Shimano freehubs are around £60 to £70 so not much more to buy a hub if I can sell my old 142 pro4 hub.

I’ve ordered a sunrace MX8 46 11 cassette from high on bikes (£76) I would have bought shimano xt but the jump from 37 to 46 looks too big for me.

I’ve just gained 200g! 😢

Annoyingly when the lbs ordered the hub they noticed hope are still selling their hope freehub but you can’t buy the cassette!!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

If anyone needs a new freehub for a Hope cassette, let me know. I have an unused spare.

wbo
    Free Member

I’d suggest using the return form on the Hope website – reason – as much use chocolate teapot.

If you really have an unused spare can you return it as unfit for purpose?

IA

Pretty poor for what has always been regarded as one of the best companies for support old products.

I got put off Hope for this reason a while back when they went through a phase of discontinuing headset models and not selling replacement bearings etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whats happened to the 11 speed hope cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.