Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What's happened to Hit The North?
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I searched for HTN 2014 tonight and found a tweet saying that the organisers have not been allowed to organise it for next year. That’s a real shame, I love that race. Anyone know what the problem is?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Probably best left to HtS to explain…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    Say it ain’t so 😥

dawson

I wonder if local council bureaucracy made it unfeasibly expensive?

Its a damn shame as its an ace event.

cp

no no no no no no no no no 🙁

Favourite race of the year BY FAR. meh. Hadn’t seen any of the twitter stuff. that’s sad news. wonder what the issue is…

If there’s anything the organisers need help with, I’m sure there’s plenty of folk who will help out… I’ll certainly put my name on that list!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

The best event of the year.

Hardly worth riding this winter with no HtN to train for.

Bregante

I’m sure there’s plenty of folk who will help out… I’ll certainly put my name on that list!

Are you handy with a shovel?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hardly worth riding this winter ever again with no HtN to train live for.

vickypea
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s unique isn’t it? I’ve done it three years on the trot, always a brilliant atmosphere, great fun, fab organisation. I was hoping to do better than 194th next time!

However, Mr Pea says he’s relieved as he normally regards it as 2 hours of hell!

smell_it
    Free Member

That is rubbish!!! What official do i need to start stalking (Crumpsall style) to make this happen?

yorlin
    Free Member

Alan Moore knows the score.

terrahawk
    Free Member

We’re working on a return in 2015. Too many obstacles to overcome to have a chance of there being a htn next year. The course will almost certainly be ‘new’.

Thanks for the positive comments though 🙂

RustySpanner

Right.

I’m going to start a dirty protest.
    Just let me know who’s doorstep needs crapping on.
    I’ll even crap on my own if I have to. Don’t try and stop me.

Anyway, instead of a race, how about if a few mates, say 300 or so, were to meet up for a nice gentle ride, just to show how grateful we are to the powers that be?

Harry_the_Spider

As Terra has said above…

We’ve not been able to secure access to a small, but logistically vital, portion of the course (800m in Philips Park) in time for us to meet the deadline for the 2014 event and as a result we’ve had to cancel.

However, we are looking at the long term future of HTN including a change of venue.

We’ve invested a lot of time and effort into growing HTN from the glorious chaos of 2008 to the glorious chaos of 2013 and would like to thank everyone who has supported/helped/tolerated us over the course of the last 8 events. Together we’ve shown that a combination of bloody-mindedness, hard graft, trust, optimism and a degree of ignorance can create something special and we’ve made some tremendous friends along the way. We’ve also raised over £20k for charity!

Speaking from a personal point of view I would have liked to have called time on HTN in a manner of my own choosing and gone out with a bang (and perhaps a mariachi band) but you can’t always get what you want.

So there we. HTN is dead.

Well…

for now it is.

See you in 2015 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Anyway, instead of a race, how about if a few mates, say 300 or so, were to meet up for a nice gentle ride, just to show how grateful we are to the powers that be?

I like the sound of that. 😀

We could still do the trip to the pub in the evening too.

wwaswas

Just let me know who’s doorstep needs crapping on.

It’s all down chimneys these days, if you want any sort of credibility amongst defecating protestor types.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If the pub will do chip butties….I’m in 😀

tthew

February rendered completely pointless now. And after all the nice things the Mayor said last year you’d have thought permissions would be the easiest thing to gain in future.

Gutted. 😥

RustySpanner

It’s a new Mayor.
    Checked earlier, she was only elected in May. 😐

Dunno if the one who showed up last year has retired or is still active.

Edit – she’s still a Councillor.

Bunnyhop

Oh no!

The Mayor should have ridden down to the start in her high heels and not used the very expensive car.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We could still do the trip to the pub in the evening too.

can i organise this bit ?

Harry_the_Spider

Nothing to do with the Mayor before somebody poos in her shoes.

vickypea
    Free Member

Thanks Terrahawk and Harry the Spider. A great shame, but we do appreciate all the time and energy that must have gone into the organisation without having further obstacles.

banks
    Free Member

We’re working on a return in 2015. Too many obstacles to overcome to have a chance of there being a htn next year. The course will almost certainly be ‘new’.

Thanks for the positive comments though

Clayton Vale, with 300 of us surely we outnumber the chavs

Harry_the_Spider

HTN is a Prestwich / Irwell Valley thing.

But if you want to organise one at Clayton then go for. One thing that we have shown is that anything is possible if you put your mind to it 😉

RustySpanner

Harry_the_Spider – Member

Nothing to do with the Mayor before somebody poos in her shoes.

She’s probably only just got the stains out of her slingbacks from last year, to be fair.
    She did seem to be a fan though.

Nice mass ride round the usual Philips Park (Prestwich) venue?
    Post ride evening booze up in the Church?

It’s traditional, Godsdammit!

Sue’s said she’s going to turn up one Saturday in Feb with a flask of Vimto anyway.
    If anyone would like to fall off in a comedy manner in front of her, she’d appreciate it.

Will Summer still turn up on time if we don’t sacrifice a couple of rear mechs, a collar bone and half a dozen tubes?

banks
    Free Member

HTN is a Prestwich / Irwell Valley thing.

But if you want to organise one at Clayton then go for. One thing that we have shown is that anything is possible if you put your mind to it

I certainly wouldn’t be short of volunteers.

Harry_the_Spider

Do it then. Just do it.

Avoid February 2015 though.

Interestingly the former Mayor is a good friend of my dad. I shall be telling her that her sling backs are safe and why an event that pays the council, brings Olympians, TV personalities and the cycling press to their venue and raises money for charity isn’t running.

tthew

Thanks Terrahawk and Harry the Spider. A great shame, but we do appreciate all the time and energy that must have gone into the organisation without having further obstacles.

Hear, hear.

As I’m neither a TV personality or member of the cycling press, I must be an Olympian then. Kewl!

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

My first ‘race’ that led to me deciding to try and get fitter (a work in progress), learn to ride my bike a bit better (again, a work in progress), acted as a catalyst for me getting involved in helping organise another race and through which I have met some great people.

So genuine thanks for all the efforts etc!

binners

Coming last at HTN is how I traditionally celebrate my birthday! What am I going to do now eh?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Coming last at HTN is how I traditionally celebrate my birthday! What am I going to do now eh?

Well if your birthday falls on a Monday next year then you can come last on a Monday Night Pub Ride. I dont see that too much will change… 😀

binners

A good point, well put 😀

D0NK

We’ve not been able to secure access to a small, but logistically vital, portion of the course

Wanna tell us more or are you intentionally not naming and shaming in an effort to keep things sweet for 2015?

rockhopperbike

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Do it then. Just do it.

Avoid February 2015 though.

Interestingly the former Mayor is a good friend of my dad. I shall be telling her that her sling backs are safe and why an event that pays the council, brings Olympians, TV personalities and the cycling press to their venue and raises money for charity isn’t running.

^^^^^^^
    THIS MAY HELP LOTS!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Wanna tell us more

not really.

D0NK

fair enough, was just interested, but also realised there would be valid reasons you wouldn’t want to divulge.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ll tell you all about it on a Monday night ride.

Harry_the_Spider

Funnily enough next week’s will be in Prestwich. 😕

Not ridden in Philips for ages actually. Don’t want to wear it out.

terrahawk
    Free Member

bring a bazazzer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What's happened to Hit The North?’ is closed to new replies.