Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What's good value in the US?
  • jkomo

Off to the US soon, just wondered what is good value to buy, either bike bits, electronics or clothes.
    What would you buy given the chance?

Cougar

Levis. They’re a third of the price over there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just remember sales tax, import duty & VAT if you go a bit mad out there 🙂

tonyg2003

Clothes are generally good buys. I’d check UK bike bits prices before buying since cheap on-line here is still probably cheaper than standard bike shop prices with the poor exchange rate.

Let me put it this way. I work in the US about 1/3 of my time, have US based credit card / address i can ship to and get paid in £ equivalent to $. i still buy bike bits in the UK.

DT78
    Free Member

Santa Cruz frames…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep just add Sales Tax, import duty and VAT brings it within £100 on most of them (unless you plan on skipping the tax) 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

All I’m after from over the pond right now is:-

Finish line stanchion lube
    RWC needle bearing shock mount
    Horst link bushes for my turner frame.

Everything else is available over here at similar prices.

Depending on your shock, you could take it with you for an avalanche racing upgrade. I’ve had two fork dampers and a rear shock from Craig and tgeyre fantastic. Way better than Push.

midlifecrashes

Usually a choice of G-Shock watches under $50 in Walmart. Converse have stores at the outlet malls and are well priced, but cheaper still in TJMaxx, cheaper again in Ross. Loads of good outdoor clothing you don’t see here, like a lot of Columbia gear. Oh and Clif bars by the boxload in the supermarkets.

timwillows
    Free Member

Everything at the Apple shop?

TooTall
    Free Member

Best advice is to look for sales in any of the shops where you are. Kohls is a good place for t-shirts, sportswear and jeans. REI are a big outdoor chain who have specials on certain things. Bike shops as a whole are not much cheaper and many don’t carry a lot of stock. Go in and see what they have and you might hit lucky. There is one near my mother in laws who do all nutrition products at just over cost price to get people in the store – others have different promotions. Walmart are OK for things like Dickies workwear and cheap tech t-shirts etc.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Craft beers.

tomhoward

Petrol

yossarian
    Free Member

assault rifles

gribble
    Free Member

Real estate.

Automobiles.

For things you can actually bring back, go pro head cams are circa pound price in dollars.

tonyg2003

Gasoline back under $4 a gallon. Amazingly cheap and I saw some leases of decent cars under $200 month recently. Not easy to bring either back but really cheap.

njee20
    Free Member

GoPros, Hollister clothing.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hollister is chavvy as

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, I detest their shops, quite like their clothes though. Designed for teenagers, so fit me well!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

are you that fat 😉

jkomo

Thanks all

wallop

Can’t you take a “bike” with you and bring a bike back? 😆

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Any boutique US/Canadian frame seems to just have the $ replaced with a £ sign. I’d be riding a Mojo HDR if I was coming through that way!

TiRed

Converse All Stars and Vans are always good value. Sizes are as per UK. I bring them back for the kids regularly. A&F and Hollister always have very good sale items in the US. I picked up some bright red chinos for $15. And I’m old enough not to care what people think when I wear them 😀 .

Levis jeans are much cheaper and offered in a wider range of sizes (odd inch waist). Sears normally have them for $40.

I brought back a Stages Power Meter – great value as you can’t buy them here. You can have frames and other bike stuff shipped to a hotel. I almost bought a Jeff Jones. Decided not to in the end, but obtaining one was not going to be an issue. About the same price $=£.

DT78
    Free Member

I know of a “Friend” who brought back a Santa Cruz frame, bit of mud on it I believe he bought it second hand so no duty due on it. Bargain

molgrips
    Free Member

Levis and Oakleys.

Cars are cheap, second hand cars are really expensive though.

footflaps

UK retail is remarkedly competetive. Last time I was in NY most things were no different to UK prices.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What's good value in the US?’ is closed to new replies.