Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)
  • Whats going to be the next greatest thing for mountainbikes ?
  • Northwind

Wheels that are 649b on one side and 651b on the other, all the advantages of all 3 wheel sizes and none of the disadvantages.

TBH whatever it is, I’ll probably deride it as useless then quietly buy it once it’s universally accepted as genius

campfreddie
    Free Member

In all seriousness, it will be electric shifting before anything else.

With a battery pack becoming integral to the frame design, this also paves the way for more advances in a electric suspension control not only in taking over from regular controls., but also in respect of charging of metallic elements to influence damping (as seen in high-end sportscars).

I think it is all good news as it will leave the rider to just concentrate on riding rather than fiddling.

Scapegoat

I love the thought of the mayhem that wireless shifting could cause in a pro peloton….

Jamie
    Free Member

I love the thought of the mayhem that wireless shifting could cause in a pro peloton….

…and let’s not forget foul play. Someone could hack into the wireless network and change your gears 😀

DT78
    Free Member

Surely you would just tether the devices like you do with your phone. No chaos. Personally i think they already have wireless on the drawing board but want everyone to upgrade to the current wired systems and then again in a couple of years for a wireless one.

Northwind

DT78 – Member

Personally i think they already have wireless on the drawing board but want everyone to upgrade to the current wired systems and then again in a couple of years for a wireless one.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised tbh. I think you could see a bit of this in action with clutch mechs frinstance, SRAM were so fast to market after Shimano that it was pretty obvious they had the designs ready, and just chose not to launch til marketing reasons demanded it.

ratherbeintobago

In all seriousness, it will be electric shifting before anything else.

Did you see the 2015 XTR Di2 leak? It’s very nearly here.

ABS would be good; should be possible to make a mechanical system, but weight might be a problem. It shortens braking distances, you know…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Graphine nanotube frames.
    Chrome 24″ rims with Spokey Dokeys
    Ribbons on bar end plugs
    Gear sticks on the top tube
    Adult sized balance bikes

slowoldman

A rejection of unnecessary technology and a focus on the ride not the speed, and the user/owner experience.

Where’s the money in that?

Trimix
    Free Member

Actually ABS off road is not a good idea. Ive got ABS on my KTM990, on the road its great. But when riding off road I turn it off. Your advised to by KTM (who know a thing or two about off roading).

Anyway, not one to believe stuff Im told I tried to ride off road with the ABS on. Basically the bike does not stop on loose ground. The ABS keeps the wheels moving till you crash.

You really wouldnt benefit from it on a mountain bike. Unless your on a wet tarmac decent.

edoverheels
    Free Member

I am not interested in electronics or ABS, feels unreliable and I wont be able to fix it.
    Bikes have improved so much in all aspects but despite 1 Xs and thick and thin chain rings and clutch mechs (al good) I still think that the drivetrain is still the weak link. I want hub gears or internal gearboxes and belt drives with bottom bracket pivot points.

Marin
    Free Member

People going out and riding them?

jameso

A rejection of unnecessary technology and a focus on the ride not the speed, and the user/owner experience.

Where’s the money in that?
    The q what was would be great for mountain bikers, not businesses : )

Anyway I’ve just bought the IP to Team Hot Pies and I’m working on bikepacking luggage with insulated grease-proof linings for carrying hot snacks far into the hills. It’s all about adding features and benefits to new trends right? Jez Avery (who’s too old for that trials malarkey now) will be sponsored to ride overnight ‘epics’ on a diet of toasty Greggs slices and Pork Farms sausage rolls.

Hub or BB gearboxes and belt drives at sensible prices.
    Rohloff, Pinion and Gates have pretty much got monopolies on them.
    A bit of competition would hopefully start the opposite of a viscous circle, whatever that’s called, with lower prices meaning more sold, meaning lower prices…

mrmo
    Free Member

How would wireless gears actually work, think about it, the biggest drains are the motors, particularly the front. So you need a battery for the front mech servo, a battery for the rear mech servo and a third battery for the shifters.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Chains that don’t stretch or wear out. And never need lubing! Guess that will be a gates drive then….

matt_outandabout

Gearboxes in frame that work well and are at a Shimano price point. Ace.

doh
    Free Member

Afaik locking the wheel off-road will usually stop you quicker as the loose material is pushed infront of the tyre increasing friction.

Hub/bb gearboxes are a nice idea but unless anything radical happens still too expensive and heavy(maybe a Chinese carbon bodied and machined thing could be good) and the loss of efficiency will always do this and driveshafts no favours.

Face it the future for most is battery and motor assist flavoured.

tinribz
    Free Member

Hub dynamo phone charger that doesn’t weight a ton, linked up to brakes so it only charges when your braking or going down hill.

Like the idea of hub gears for the BB too.

Bout time someone invented front wheel or better still two wheel drive.

DT78
    Free Member

Not an expert in batteries, but wouldn’t 3 small batteries be equal to one big one + lots of wires? build the battery into the mech / shifter units themselves. My mob battery is tiny and seems to last 48hrs pretty easy. Quick someone patent it and sell the idea to shimano…

EDIT – first google hit:
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/12/tiso-12-speed-wireless-electronic-road-bike-drivetrain-unveiled/

although I have no idea why you want to use a mobile app to change gears…

as for group ride comments – I take it you chaps have never used tethering before? you can link devices with unique keys….

avdave2

Wireless will be fun in a group ride!

gee
    Free Member

It’ll be fine – it’s not like your phone goes to someone else’s hands free kit in a traffic jam.

GB

DT78
    Free Member

cause I’m bored and the wife is out…. shimano have a patent for a road shifter, including wireless functionality, though if I read it right it is for a gear shift indicator?
    http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140015659

egistered 16/01/14
    So, guess we will be seeing wireless shifters 2016/17?

Actually the more I read this, it sounds like a system for auto shifting on a bike? Maybe you set the cadence and it auto shifts? Anyway it mentions wireless….!

jameso

It does make me sort-of laugh that after all these advancements in electronic and wireless gears and with 800g carbon frames that are so stiff they save x watts etc, none of these bikes are likely to use a simple dynamo hub to power them as customers who want all that will fear the weight and resistance. And probably in a few cases still be overtaken by Audax Fred with his hub dynamo )
    I know the battery lasts ages and DI2 is great kit, it’s just the idea of a bike creating its own power for its own gadgets, a closed loop, that appeals much more to me. If Shimano add that option to the 2016 Dura-Ace my hat is off.

mrmo
    Free Member

Bout time someone invented front wheel or better still two wheel drive.

mrmo
    Free Member

Not an expert in batteries, but wouldn’t 3 small batteries be equal to one big one + lots of wires? build the battery into the mech / shifter units themselves. My mob battery is tiny and seems to last 48hrs pretty easy. Quick someone patent it and sell the idea to shimano…

Where are you going to put the batteries? if you don’t have a wire to the rear mech you are going to have a very expensive very unprotected item just waiting to break.

I was looking for an image of a mektronic rear mech but this is far more interesting.

Konastoner
    Free Member

This wont be long arriving.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ1eKddstxM[/video]

grtdkad

SkinnyBike is the next big thing for sure

stu1972
    Free Member

Piezoelectric vibration dampening handlebars.

dan86
    Free Member

dropper stems!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Semi-active suspension.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Bottom Bracket gearboxes

Shaft drive instead of chain, hooked up to internal hub gearing

hub gears or internal gearboxes and belt drives with bottom bracket pivot points

This sounds like my uni degree design project from 2002, designed all of this, had it at New Designers, Bike 2002 and a little 1/8th page article in MBUK … no interest at all! Anyway, copyrighted and even applied for patents* so if anyone does do this I’m sueing Spesh style! 😉

I’d like to see some form of adjustable front and rear suspension, so you could have 120mm front and back then with the flick of a lever 160mm front and back. Could even be electronically controlled, although I’d prefer a simple mechanical adjustment.

All this electronic shifting and suspension/damping controls, expensive gearing and forks and dropper posts are all making a simple bike very costly and complicated, soon we’ll be wanting a service history record and log book when we buy them.

* never did this properly and anything I did do has probably expired now anyway

iamroughrider
    Free Member

freshly made retro bikes – aka the new mini, the new beetle, the new fiat 500 etc. Retro copies. Oh hang on it already happens with bmx’s and the zaskar etc 🙂

ontor
    Free Member

I’d like to see some form of adjustable front and rear suspension, so you could have 120mm front and back then with the flick of a lever 160mm front and back. Could even be electronically controlled, although I’d prefer a simple mechanical adjustment.

Bionicon?

anthemrules
    Free Member

Clipless saddles ?

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m hoping Shimano will come out with an electronic shifting 1 x 11

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s been said in previous posts but…..

Self aligning hydraulic disc brakes, no idea if it’s possible but I’d love to see brakes that automatically adjust as per wear to pads, so you always have even pad wear, consistent even braking and no annoying rubbing rotor noises ( similar to di2 auto trim front mech)

No idea if it’s possible or how it would be implemented but I’d find that highly useful, with having to remove wheel to get into car etc

hora
    Free Member

Murdered-out shock. Same shit trchnology from existing product range, new colour and slight marketing name:

New murdered-out Rockshox shock with sleeve-adapt dampening.

All new murdered-out Psylo’s etc.

Total shit. Same guff.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nothing too drastic. 120 rear/160 front with dual position from heaps of brands as their best selling mtb.

Lightweight dropper posts on everyone’s xc bikes on the world cup in 4 years.

Fat bikes with no more than 3.5″ tyres, 4″ travel front and rear.

charliedontsurf

Seriously. The very next big thing will be wider tyres.

Surly have 3.0 and 2.75″ tyres, so not as big as a fat bike tyre, a nice sensible middle ground.

Why? The larger tyre has a tiny weight penalty for a significant increase in traction. So you can climb harder, brake harder, and most importantly corner faster. This is a serious advantage, and a lot of fun.

Why this has not happened before is a mystery. Why are surly (a fairly oddball outfit) dictating the next big thing? (They were on the 29 scene very early) Maybe it’s because most bike companies would rather sell you expensive shit that breaks, shocks and electrics, and remote this and that gizmos.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Whats going to be the next greatest thing for mountainbikes ?’ is closed to new replies.