Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What's going on with Garmin Connect?
  • tomstickland
    Free Member

A month ago the Garmin Connect website stopped calculating my moving time properly. On a 6 hour trip where we stopped for an hour it showed my moving time as a few minutes less than the elapsed time.

I asked on the Garmin forum and people said “set your auto pause” blah blah. Meanwhile Strava dealt with the date without any problems.

They unveiled a new Garmin Connect website last week. It now shows “elapsed time”, “moving time” and the cryptic “time”.

Have Garmin always been this scatty?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Have Garmin always been this scatty?

Fraid so. 😕

tomstickland
    Free Member

Is there anything any better out there?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t believe a brand leader, who sell more GPS units than anyone else has such a shite interface.

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t believe a brand leader, who sell more GPS units than anyone else has such a shite interface.

No competition. It’s why all the software on their devices are so shit.

ratherbeintobago

I’ve never used Garmin Connect, tbh. I used Ascent for years, which I really liked but which seems to have stopped development some time ago, and now use RubiTracks.

paladin

Noticed that on mine yesterday. On a 6 hour ride stopping halfway for lunch, moving time was only 3 minutes less than total time.

Pieface

Sport tracks is supposed to be good although the free version has capacity limitations

DanW
    Free Member

Noticed that on mine yesterday. On a 6 hour ride stopping halfway for lunch, moving time was only 3 minutes less than total time.

There is an explanation of this on the Garmin site IIRC although I remember it being a bit vague and didn’t make too much sense to me.

From experience of a similar thing I’d imagine you have the auto-pause function on in which case there is no way to get to real full time of the ride including lunch recorded (despite the logic that says this is just daft). Only when you are moving, when the unit is unpaused, gets recorded. The 3 minute difference is just a series of 5 second sections added together where you stop riding but the unit takes some time to pause.

Equally though, I think if you turn off auto pause then the entire ride and entire overall duration gets recorded but the “moving time” goes all iffy and the moving and total times will match but to the overall duration you spent out. As far as I’m aware you record either one or the other despite the logic which says it shouldn’t be hard to measure both properly.

Just my experience of it 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What's going on with Garmin Connect?’ is closed to new replies.