• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's going on in this photo? (road disc content)
  • finbar
    Free Member

I don’t want to talk about the UCI suspension or anything, but what’s happening here? Cooling fins? I like it.

legend
    Free Member

yup, looks like someone doesn’t want their frame getting hot….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aero cooling deflectors. They direct cooler air on to the rotor at high speeds.

wwaswas

They direct cooler air on to the rotor at high speeds.

I’ve got a huge cut on my leg and I’m blaming looking at those fins for causing it.

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks. Want. I wonder how many watts moving that air around costs though?

I’ve got a huge cut on my leg and I’m blaming looking at those fins for causing it.

😆 They don’t look as pointy as the cog things on the other side.

scaredypants

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Aero cooling deflectors. They direct cooler air on to the rotor at high speeds

c’mon flash, admit it, you’re gutted – surely this was worth a thread of its own: “what, these fins? Why yes, they do deflect cooling air onto my disc rotor at high speeds”

😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks. Want.

Me too, they would look lush on my commuter.

DezB
    Free Member

Shouldn’t they be further to the edge of the rotor rather than the centre then? What good is cooling the lock ring?
    I call gimmick.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Will make a mess of your shoes if you have big feet

Daffy

Looks as much a means of dragging heat from the calliper as directing flow onto the rotor.

There are much more efficient means of encouraging flow onto the rotor than that. The first vane would disrupt the flow to such an extent that the subsequent ones would be near useless as flow directors/divertors.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Read all about it here…

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/merida-scultura-disc-offers-rat-axles-cooling-fins-on-frame-46793/

One noteworthy point on the frame design is the sculpted piece of metal sitting on the non-drive chainstay that Merida calls this the Disc-Cooler. Similar to the cooling fins on Shimano calipers, this forged-alloy finned section of the frame is designed to direct air over and thus cool the brakes. Merida claims that during a four-minute session of braking on a descent, the Disc-Cooler reduced temperature by 35 degrees Celsius. A standard disc set-up would hit 95 degrees Celsius after four minutes of braking, Merida claims. Further, once stopped, the rotor cools in half the time as a disc brake without it, Merida claims.

finbar
    Free Member

Shouldn’t they be further to the edge of the rotor rather than the centre then? What good is cooling the lock ring?
    I call gimmick.

Also, thinking (not very hard) about it, wouldn’t it make more sense to have them slanted the other way?

remoterob
    Free Member

Wouldn’t this make a lot more sense on the front?

40mpg

They are D clamps for the safety airbag system which deploys around the disk in the event of a crash

philjunior
    Free Member

Even without directing much flow in the direction of the disc, they’ll take some heat from the calliper and make the air going past the disc turbulent, which is much better for heat transfer. (Don’t mention the drag implications) (Yes I get a little bit obsessive about things – they don’t have to be perfect but I hate compromises)

richmars

Plus just increasing the surface area will improve the cooling.

phiiiiil

Further, once stopped, the rotor cools in half the time as a disc brake without it, Merida claims.

They almost had me until this bit. Maybe if they made it out of some kind of holographic crystal it would cool in a quarter of the time?

Daffy

Much better picture here: like I said, it’s cooling the calliper, not the rotor. I’d guess that by claiming it’s cooling better when stationary, they’re assuming the brakes are on, by which the calliper and the heatsink are acting in concert to cool the rotor.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I presume it’s cooling the caliper not the rotor as those figures make no sense otherwise as 50-100C would be normal-ish caliper/fluid temps. Epoxy will carry on cureing and shrinking if you heat it up beyond what it was cured at in the factory (typically not much hotter than a very hot day). So 100C+ might start to cause issues?

xyeti
    Free Member

Wouldn’t strapping that lot to alloy Frame help disipate the heat? Surely some one somewhere knows when that Oil gets a Boil on and the 4 Minute figure or 100 deg heat is exceeded the Plastic frame is going to get a soft spot, Brought up to temp on another descend and rapid cooling should have all sorts of implications for a skinny walled plastic frame which sees some forces when the pads are applied to the rotors surface.

No doubt some one will claim it’s F1 Technology then everyone can breath a sigh of relief and stand stand back in awe of it all………..

Also, Some one should suggest turning the fins on the actual calliper to represent the new fangled frame fin technology there fore flowing air in across the pad and the point of contact instead of just letting the heat transfer, Also Bigger Disks? Surely some one strapping a lump of ally to the side thought why cant we make the disk anoyjer 20mm bigger?

It wont be long before an ally tipped rear dropout appears on a carbon frame. Thats got to make more sense than that effort?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's going on in this photo? (road disc content)’ is closed to new replies.