Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What's going on here then?…Ebay 29er auctions
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Casually looking for a 29er so have an Ebay search set up. I receive the following two auctions on email this morning:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141000673128&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1120

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330942755740&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1120

Did a double take. They’re lent against the same tree but being sold by different sellers in different locations 😕 First is Wolverhampton, second is outskirts of London.

clubber
    Free Member

Fraud…

Or one is legit and the second is just copied from the other.

Report them to ebay.

DezB
    Free Member

Weird!
    The Specialized pic looks like a Photoshop job.
    Love the description on it too – such a friendly sounding seller!

They are both ‘collection only’, so what could possibly go wrong?

dooosuk
    Free Member

How can this be…they’re completely different bikes (Cannondale & Specialized)

DezB
    Free Member

Check the other items for ‘Juliebidder’.. here

Back of a lorry stuff?

This line is worrying: “PLEASE CONTACT BEFORE HAND – WILL SAVE YOURSELF SOMETHING!!” ??

MikeG

The guy selling the cannondale is also selling the rockhopper, I say the second link is a dodgy auction

GaryLake
    Free Member

Second one’s a fraud I think… first seller has it listed also: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cycling-/7294/i.html?_ipg=25&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=altruism212

tomhoward

nope, totally different in every way, save the location of one of the pics. Edit. ah, what he said /\

The Specialized pic looks like a Photoshop job.

If it is, it’s a bloody good one. (the one in the same place as the ‘dale)

I’m not saying there is nothing going on, just be very wary.

tonyd

The first seller has a decent amount of history and appears to sell quite a lot of bikes. He/she has the same bike up for sale at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-SPECIALIZED-ROCKHOPPER-COMP-29ER-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-15-5-FRAME-/140998640688?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20d42c8430

So either the second seller is a scammer and has used the original photos for a non existent bike, or has one similar and is lazy. Looking at the juliebidder sellers history and feedback (3 feedback, two of which are very trustworthy etc) I’d be very suspicious.

Might be worth reporting to eBay.

DezB
    Free Member

Wow! Altruism212 says: “CANT GET USED TO THE 29″ WHEELS”
    Yet is selling 3 29ers! How many do you buy before you realise you don’t like them?

dooosuk
    Free Member

1st & 3rd pictures on Juliebidder auction look to be a different frame size (top tube to rear stays angle seems different).

I’ll report it if I can figure out how.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, eBay don’t make it easy to report stuff! I’ve tried to report a duplicate listing, but it only lets you enter item numbers from the same seller. Garbage

dooosuk
    Free Member

Have also messaged the other seller to let him know…and ask him why he bought 3 29ers if he didn’t like the wheel size 🙂

ocrider

Wow! Altruism212 says: “CANT GET USED TO THE 29″ WHEELS”
    Yet is selling 3 29ers! How many do you buy before you realise you don’t like them?

Yep, there’s no chance of that particular seller being a fence. They honestly bought and tried every 29er possible before deciding that maybe 650B may be the better option at the end of the day.

Besides, its the future so best not stockpile soon to be obsolete gear, right?

clubber
    Free Member

Ah 😳

I can’t actually access ebay… was assuming it was the usual scam…

shermer75
    Free Member

This is great. Genuine chance of catching a bona fide crim here…

piemonster

This looks dodgier than an Apple UK delivery

geoffj

07534956629 has sold a lot of bikes on Gumtree

dazz
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure Altruism212 is a user here, I’ve seen the famous bike against a tree pic in the classified, pics are always in the same place on gumtree too, he bought a bike I’d arranged to buy, but was able to get there 20 mins before I could, so the seller sold it him, which is understandable, but it was back on gumtree the next day with a £125 mark up, not that I’m bitter or anything 😀

mjdcc
    Free Member

For what it is worth, i spent sometime looking on Ebay for Mtb bikes and I would say there are more than a few dodgy sellers, though I wont mention any names.

For instance, I saw one guy based in Liverpool, apparently sell at least four of the same Cannondale Trail bikes or the same one four times. Each time claiming he couldn’t get used to the lefty. Best thing I found, if spending any decent amount of money was to email and ask to speak to them by phone prior to auction ending; that way you can get a sense of whether its legit.

wwaswas

messaging the seller saying ‘You are a thief and I claim my £5 reward’ might be marginally less effective than contacting police and not forewarning the seller?

pingu66
    Free Member

Well both look dodgy as they are all new 2013 bikes. But what can we do about it. Police are unlikely to do a great deal just because we think its suspicious.

Ebay just cancel the sale.

A gang of us turn up to collect the bike!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What's going on here then?…Ebay 29er auctions’ is closed to new replies.