Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What’s flying like post-covid?
  • Premier Icon fatmountain
    Free Member

I’m off tomorrow. Are airports hospitable or mostly closed i.e. no coffee, cafe? I’m expecting it to be fairly empty to be honest. I’m off to Spain (Malaga). Anything I should know about?

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Anything I should know about?

That we aren’t “post-covid” yet.

Premier Icon B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Be really careful. Lots of people testing neg before are testing pos after, so departure airport, flight, arrival airport are hotspots.

Premier Icon bigjim

Copenhagen airport was largely closed up, and almost empty last week but felt safe in terms of distancing and clean. Plane was horrible, everyone obviously uncomfortable being on top of each other. Edinburgh airport was absolutely filthy, big lumps of dust and hair all over the floor, they’ve obviously stopped cleaning it. Queue for border control felt grim too. No idea what’s open on the departures side. Never been so glad to get in a shower.

Premier Icon fatmountain
    Free Member

sounds grim. I’m hoping that the flight to Spain will be fairly empty give the 2-week quarantine.

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Latest update:
    Updated information about further outbreaks and measures to limit the spread of COVID19 (‘Summary’ and ‘Coronavirus’ pages)
    From 27 July, the FCO advise against all non-essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic and Canary Islands, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks in the country.

This advice is based on evidence of increases in cases of COVID-19 across Spain.

The FCO is not advising those already travelling in Spain to leave at this time. Travellers should follow the advice of the local authorities on how best to protect themselves and others, including any measures that they bring in to control the virus.

If you are returning from Spain you will be required to self-isolate on your return to the UK, but the FCO is not advising you to cut short your visit. You should contact your tour operator or airline if you have any questions about your return journey.

Premier Icon scaredypants

flying post-covid, IME (2 wk ago), is **** mental

people in airports are stupid – not wearing masks properly, removing tape from segregated sections of seating to cram themselves in, then queueing at the gates shoulder to shoulder just like always

2 different airlines packed us into ALL seats of the centre few rows of a two-thirds empty plane “for balance”. They didn’t actually stop me from moving but they obviously didn’t like it. You want ballast in the middle of your plane? – use “stuff” not people.

**** ’em all, I’m not flying again for a long while

Premier Icon sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got to go to London to visit my silver haired old Mother, From the Highlands. Really don’t know whether driving or Flying will be worse.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Bloody hell, sounds utterly awful to fly at the moment.

Premier Icon cakeandcheese

Flew to Australia on Singapore at the start of the month. In order of the travel experience:

Heathrow = very little different to normal, including busyness and businesses. Mayhem to be honest.

Plane to Singapore = packed but well managed

Singapore = empty and professional

Plane To Sydney = Empty

Sydney = relatively busy but very professional

Have finished quarantine now, and not in a hurry to fly again soon!

Premier Icon batfink

Have finished quarantine now

How was that? You weren’t in the travel-lodge in Surry Hills by any chance? Manged to avoid “relations” with any security guards I hope?

Premier Icon cakeandcheese

How was that? You weren’t in the travel-lodge in Surry Hills by any chance? Manged to avoid “relations” with any security guards I hope?

As good as it could be! We were in the Harbour Marriott. Were given a suite so got really lucky, plus had another person and work to keep me distracted.

The downside is that I feel so unfit after two weeks of no exercise, I can’t seem to get back into fitness.

Premier Icon batfink

The downside is that I feel so unfit after two weeks of no exercise, I can’t seem to get back into fitness.

Mate, I feel the same and I haven’t even been in quarantine!

Premier Icon Mugboo

Wife and 9yr old visited her Mum in Moraira, Spain after much pressure was brought to bear. Manchester to Alicante last Thursday, came home this Tuesday.

Managed a beer at Manchester airport, plane a third full of gobby blokes heading for Benidorm, one or two already proclaiming that they won’t be quarantining..

Homeward bound plane even less folk and less rowdy.

Maskwise the usual balance of well behaved or not.

In Spain masks are worn almost everywhere it seems.

Premier Icon sgn23
    Free Member

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/08/26/police-board-flight-after-man-refuses-to-wear-mask-causing-delay-of-over-40-minutes/

This flight was delayed and the police called when one idiot refused to wear a mask

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

flew to and then back from Croatia a couple of days ago.

Apart from people wearing masks (mostly well, still many people having it below the nose) and a few hand sanitiser stations, you wouldn’t know any different. That’s was at Gatwick north terminal (southern terminal is closed).

Split airport was better, as it was quite quiet, but otherwise, it was the same as Gatwick with regards to Covid measures.

Our easy jet flight was full, no seats ‘out of action’ to help with distancing.

And lots of people hadn’t filled out their ‘return to uk’ government forms, so a mad scramble before passport control with people frantically filling them out.

Its all a bit of a mess really!

my only advice is if that you are genuinely concerned/worried about contracting Covid…. don’t go to an airport!

Premier Icon mogrim

In Spain masks are worn almost everywhere it seems.

Basically as it’s against the law not to! Benidorm British bars aside, no Spanish business will allow you inside without a mask on, and a lot will also make you apply alcohol gel to your hands too.

My daughter flew Madrid-Stansted a couple of weeks back, apparently the airport here (Madrid) was fairly quiet, when we dropped her off non-fliers weren’t allowed in the terminal (so factor that in if you’re planning on getting picked up). On the flight they had two people per 3 person row, with an empty seat between them. She had to wear a mask the whole time.

Premier Icon doomanic

@mogrim what airline was that?

Premier Icon footflaps

And lots of people hadn’t filled out their ‘return to uk’ government forms, so a mad scramble before passport control with people frantically filling them out.

We drove back from France via Chunnel and no one asked for nor looked at our forms.

Premier Icon Del

scardeypants – which airlines please. that’s fing appalling.

Premier Icon boardmanfs18

Before COVID, passengers would sometimes have to be seated in a way to ‘balance’ the airplane, especially if it was half empty. This was to ensure the airplane was in the ‘limits’ for take off.

I’ve had problems in the past where passengers have ignored the seating plan and caused ‘issues’ so to speak.

There is no social distancing on board a typical flight at the moment, it’s pretty much impossible but don’t forget the air is changed in the cabin far more than say an enclosed building.

As long you don’t lick the tray tables and wear your mask, then I reckon it’s as safe as going to a supermarket or pub…

Premier Icon mogrim

@doomanic Ryanair… just checked, apparently someone did sit next to her, but as the plane was really empty he just moved somewhere else. Not sure if she managed to maintain distancing by accident or on purpose!

Premier Icon richmtb

Before COVID, passengers would sometimes have to be seated in a way to ‘balance’ the airplane, especially if it was half empty. This was to ensure the airplane was in the ‘limits’ for take off.

I’ve had problems in the past where passengers have ignored the seating plan and caused ‘issues’ so to speak.

I’d always assumed this was utter nonsense and the real reason was to make it easier to turn the plane around after the flight because there were less rows to clean.

Premier Icon dmorts

Doesn’t anyone care what the FCO advice says?
    In practical terms, your travel insurance is likely to be void… but if you don’t have that anyway, what’s actually the difference the advice makes?

Premier Icon boardmanfs18

I’d always assumed this was utter nonsense and the real reason was to make it easier to turn the plane around after the flight because there were less rows to clean.

There was an incident many years ago where an airplane was loaded with all the bags in the rear hold and most of the passengers where also in the rear of the aircraft, on application of take off power the airplane decided to do a tail stand on the runway !

An average passenger weight is 75kg…

Premier Icon Kryton57

Have a read of this: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-hazmat-officials-remove-man-from-ryanair-flight-after-text-tells-him-of-positive-covid-19-test-result-12057854

Now, the official boarded the plane in a Hazmat suit.   What does that tell you about being on a plane full of people, that people who really don’t want/need to, decide a hazmat suit is needed?

You wouldn’t catch me on a plane after reading that.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

That must have been a bloody wonderful flight to be on after witnessing that.

My concern is my lad and partner are off to a wedding on a Greece isle in a couple of weeks. They are early 20’s but I have very mixed emotions about them going for various reasons.

Premier Icon scaredypants

scardeypants – which airlines please. that’s fing appalling.

Vueling out, easyjet back

I’m all for “balance” but put the bags forward in the hold and, if you need to, put some ballast in some middle seats to space people out (a nice crash test dummy or ten ?! 🙂 )

As long you don’t lick the tray tables and wear your mask, then I reckon it’s as safe as going to a supermarket or pub…

Yeh, nobody’s catching covid down the pub. Should be fine

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

We’re not post Covid yet so no one knows.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.