• This topic has 36 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What’s Cambridge like?
  • rascal
    Free Member

It’s our anniversary in October and we always tend to go away for few nights to mark it. Looking to go somewhere we haven’t been and not too far away as not really away for that long….thinking Cambridge (from Loughborough). Enough there to keep busy for 2 days? Looking for nice hotel, but of culture, but of shopping, nice eats and drinks etc. Other location suggestions welcome too 👍

richmars

Fitzwilliam Museum is ok. Newly re-furbished zoology Museum. Cambridge Museum of Technology.

Scott Polar is my favourite, lots of Scott’s letters that were found in his tent.

Shopping, depends what you’re looking for (lots of expensive cloths)..

CountZero

Worth taking a punt…

konagirl
    Free Member

a-boom-tish, very good CZ

Yep, number 1 thing to do is buy a bottle of fizz and picnic and punt yourselves up/down the river. You might need to wrap up in October!

Cambridge is a very pretty and pleasant small city with lots of green space.

Plenty of very high-end dining (think Michelin star and $$$$) at Midsummer House, or Cotto, Twenty-Two, Alimentum. Nice hotels include Hotel du Vin and the Varsity. Second thing to do is have a beer on the Varsity roof top bar. Or go up St Marks tower by the market. Cambridge does suffer a bit in the mid-market for food and hotels because it’s so touristy they don’t care so much about repeat trade. Pint Shop / Smokehouse and chains like Cau seem to do well.

There are lots of museums for all tastes (though some don’t open on weekends), definitely go into the central college grounds and have a nosy, but obey the signs. If concerned about where you can and can’t go, just ask at the Porter’s lodge at the entrance. Something a bit different, or if you don’t want to pay to go into the older central colleges, have a look for their evensong events. Again, just ask at the porter’s lodge. Usually the large college Chapel’s are open to the public for their evening service.

oldnpastit

Also worth checking what’s on at the ADC and Arts theatres, and West Road concert hall.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Flat as **** and full of tourists. Oh, you didn’t mean for MTBing. As you were. Yes, a pleasant enough place to visit, quite a lot to see and do depending on your tastes.

tails
    Free Member

Seems to get posted a few times a year, have a search.  You could rent some ofo bikes to get around. The Maypole sells good beer and okay food, I think the Red Lion in Histon or the Blue Ball in grantchester would be worth a visit for a beer if you hire some ofo bikes. Aroma is very popular and cheap enough, Norfolk street bakery is worth a visit for really really good bread. You could have a good drink just off Mill Road if that’s your thing.

Many more places which are worth a visit, 2 days is enough as it’s mega touristy.

BillMC

Lots better in Oxford.

oldnpastit

Red Lion in Histon or the Blue Ball in grantchester would be worth a visit for a beer if you hire some ofo bikes

I think Ofo have recently changed their policy so that you pay £10 (or is it £20) if you finish your ride outside the Geofenced area. Histon is certainly well outside it now.

They’re terrible bikes anyway.

Plenty of much nicer pubs than either of those if you go further out.

footflaps

University Arms Hotel has just re-opened after a two year £100m upgrade – I’d have a look at that, great central location as well.

Oak Bistro is our favourite ‘posh’ restaurant, central location as well.

Granchester is very walkable, nice riverside path. No real need for Ofo bikes.

kilo

Midsummer House was very good, we hired a walking guide for an afternoon for a tour around. Nice place for a weekend

poah
    Free Member

apart from the university its like any other crapy town.  Certainly wouldn’t go there for a break.

footflaps

apart from the university its like any other crapy town. Certainly wouldn’t go there for a break.

In which case my advice would be don’t go there for a break.

Nico
    Free Member

apart from the university its like any other crapy town

It isn’t. Not even remotely.

As mentioned, Fitzwilliam. Botanical gardens. Basically a flaneurs paradise, but take a flask.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

My wife and I stayed at Rectory Farm, its outside the centre near the park and Ride off j13 of the M11.

Despite its position it is not noisy.

There is loads to do in Cambridge, I really like the place.

If you get bored in the city then you can also travel a short distance to St Neots or St Ives which are both nice villages.

sbob
    Free Member

apart from the university its like any other crapy town.

Eeughh!!!

A prole has wandered in uninvited!

toby1

I felt physically broken after the bill at Midsummer house so only do it if REALLY expensive food is your thing.

I love the city, but I grew up in Watford, so what do I know about nice places. I also live about 8 miles outside it as it’s loads cheaper than living in it!

It’s small enough to walk around, it does get busy at weekends (October is in term to). It has a fancy shopping centre and a lss fancy one, it has some intersting shops around the side streets. It has pubs ofvarying quality, it has some very good coffee shops and some average ones too. The chop house (Kings street) is one of my favourites. There’s a walking food/drink tour you can join for a guide exploration.

Nico
    Free Member

I felt physically broken

Literally, no doubt.

footflaps

I felt physically broken after the bill at Midsummer house so only do it if REALLY expensive food is your thing.

Surely it can’t have been that much of a surprise, it’s the fanciest restaurant in town (or was).

winston
    Free Member

Cambridge is home to my third favourite pub, The Free Press, just off Parkers Piece – perfect for Sunday brunch with the papers.

October is a good month to go, students are just back and the place is lively but not too full of tourists.

Deffo worth a walk along to Grantchester – The Green Man or Blue Ball are best pubs. Avoid the Red Lion

Unfortunately you know have to pay to get in the colleges unless you live there but its still worth it. If you go punting, do it yourself rather than the orrible chuffeur ones.

There are usually some good gigs in the pubs up Mill Rd

sbob
    Free Member

Deffo worth a walk along to Grantchester – The Green Man or Blue Ball are best pubs. Avoid the Red Lion

This man speaks sense. The Cambridge Distillery also has a showroom now just over the road from the Green Man.

Cambridge is home to my third favourite pub, The Free Press

Oh noes! He’s ruined his good reputation by recommending a Greene King pub!

Better, much cheaper pubs off Mill Road (and the Elm Tree is just around the corner with a much better selection of ale). Should also mention the Flying Pig as a cracking proper pub with some great regular live music. See also the Green Man Grantchester for live music on Friday nights and Sunday late afternoons, with the odd Saturday night as well.

Surely it can’t have been that much of a surprise, it’s the fanciest restaurant in town

Still the only two star Michelin in East Anglia, AFAIK.

winston
    Free Member

The Free Press is Greene King to be sure but if you know the pub you know why its unlike any other Greene King pubs.

The Flying Pig always used to be full of teenagers when I lived in Cambridge – pub of choice up Mill Rd for the thinking man who liked a gig/poet/comedian was the Live and let Live

wl
    Free Member

A southern York.  Posh, super touristy and full of fancy old buildings and students. We had a day there recently, in fine weather, and quite enjoyed it. Good people watching around the river area, and enough culture for a short break.

sbob
    Free Member

The Earl of Beaconsfield has a jam night on Tuesdays organised by a chap called Johnny Wright who is one of only half a dozen guitarists that I truly rate.

The Pig didn’t seem to have too many youngsters in there the last couple of times I’ve been. Loads of trannies, but few teenagers, so don’t be put off.

toby1

Surely it can’t have been that much of a surprise, it’s the fanciest restaurant in town

Don’t get me wrong, I expected it to be expensive, but it far exceeded expectation, we didn’t hold back on anything addmittedly, but even still, it went above and beyond!

sbob
    Free Member

I need to head back to Alimentum now they have a new head chef.

Scrap that, bastards aren’t open on Mondays or Tuesdays anymore. 🙁

poah
    Free Member

It isn’t. Not even remotely.

it really is and oxford is even worse.  I hated going to either of them.

tails
    Free Member

Plenty of much nicer pubs than either of those if you go further out.

Go on which pubs should I be visiting, always enjoy a nimble to a new pub.

oldnpastit

– 5 Miles from Anywhere, cheap and cheerful, watch the river flow past while eating cheesy chips. If going by bike you either have to do an out-and-back, or return via Twentypence Road which isn’t much fun.

– Blue Lion at Hardwick. Good for Valentine’s day

– Red Lion at Brinkley, nice location, good food and beer, especially if cycling.

– Three Horeshoes in Madingley, used to be super-posh, although I haven’t been there for years, so I don’t know if it’s still any good.

– The Boot in Histon has recently re-opened. It’s not super-posh, but it’s not bad. If I just wanted a nice meal, not too far from home, then I think that would be a reasonable choice.

But there are just loads of great pubs.

tails
    Free Member

Hardwick and Madingley are definitely within bimbling distance. My sister went to the Boot and she likes posh places so I’ve not been, still can’t be any more pretentious than the Crown in Girton. I’ll hope to visit others soon!

footflaps

– The Boot in Histon has recently re-opened. It’s not super-posh, but it’s not bad. If I just wanted a nice meal, not too far from home, then I think that would be a reasonable choice.

Nice pub and restaurant, although a bit out the way from town. You’ll need to book for a WE.

stumpy01

The Plough in Fen Ditton is nice if you wanna watch the world (and the river) go by in the garden.

winston
    Free Member

I always thought that Cambridge was one of the few cities where the pubs in town were far better than those in the countryside – probably because the surrounding countryside is soooooo dull.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m heavily biased – and it may be too far given the OP, but Durham is a much better bet as a ‘tourist’.

rascal
    Free Member

Dan – good shout but a bit of a trek for a couple of days.

Still keen on Cambridge despite one or two of the posts…think we’ll go for it.

Cheers all.

toby1

The Boot in Histon has recently re-opened. It’s not super-posh, but it is by ‘Marco Pierre White’ … manu actually looked pretty reasonable when I looked at it a while back.

sbob
    Free Member

Maypole
    Brewhouse
    Elm Tree
    Six Bells
    Live and Let Live
    Salisbury Arms
    Hot Numbers cafe for a quick bit of jazz and a glass of wine (also the only place in Cambridge to get a decent coffee)
    Cambridge Blue
    Kingston Arms
    Devonshire Arms (if you can stomach Milton Brewery)
    Earl of Beaconsfield (if there’s music on)
    196 for a few cocktails then taxi to
    Flying Pig for a boogie.

Complete itinerary right there. 😀

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What’s Cambridge like?’ is closed to new replies.