Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)
  • whats better, cats or dogs?
  • willard

If you are a cat owner and you die, the cat would eat you. They care that little for their “owners”. A dog is so loyal it would guard your body against marauding hordes of cats, zombies or medical researches until it is so tired, starving and ill that it could not longer fight them off.

That’s how awesome dogs are.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Neither, both a pain in the arse.

Wev’e got this…

Pepsi fat cat by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Which craps in a litter tray in the house. Which is fine unless we’re not quick enough, & then this….

Vera by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Eats it.

If I had my way (which I don’t) I’d have neither.

footflaps

when you die a cat will not vist your grave.

Like dead people will notice….

camo16
    Free Member

Well, I’ve been around dogs and only one bit me – some psycho red setter that – apparently – thought a shiny stone I was picking up in fact belonged to his master. 😯 That was the owner’s excuse and, 30 years later, I still have scarring… but that’s the one in a hundred/thousand/million as far as I can see. Cats, meanwhile, just like sitting on William Shatner’s head, thinking evil thoughts:

thepurist

when you die a cat will not vist your grave

If our veg patch is anything to go by then a cat would struggle to resist that much freshly dug soil.

grum
    Free Member

EDIT: I wodering if you give off some kind of anti dog vibe

Classic bit of victim-blaming there.

I might give off an anti-dog vibe, having been fairly scared of them throughout childhood due to a few unpleasant incidents. But I suppose that’s all my fault too.

molgrips
    Free Member

but as a dog owner saying all dogs bite kids

Well that’s not what I said, is it.

I implied that it’s more likely to get a serious bite from a dog, and you’re definitely more likely to be randomly assaulted by a dog when out minding your own business. That may be the result of poor dog ownership, but the fact is that it’s a possibility and often a reality.

You seem like a dog anger bomb

Not so much these days, because as a kid I had no idea how to behave around dogs. Nowadays I just get grief if I am doing something ridiculously dangerous like, say, running.

Again I don’t really want to get into a silly debate about cats v dogs but I do really think that the dog thing is an issue. There are a great many dogs who aren’t sufficiently controlled by their owners, and unless you have dog experience you don’t know the things you shouldn’t be doing

Cougar

If you are a cat owner and you die, the cat would eat you. They care that little for their “owners”. A dog is so loyal it would guard your body against marauding hordes of cats, zombies or medical researches until it is so tired, starving and ill that it could not longer fight them off.

Conclusion: dogs are stupid.

(-:

elliott-20
    Free Member

We have both.

Dog beats cat for numerous different reasons.

FIN

Rorschach
    Free Member

Maybe dogs are a good judge of character?

piemonster

Crikey Molgrips, five or six bites??

That’s shocking. I’ve spent my entire life around my own and other people’s dogs. Both known dogs and unknown and never been bitten once. And that includes some decidedly mental dogs volunteering in animal sanctuaries.

What with your motoring issues as well I’m beginning to think your cursed.

unklehomered
    Free Member

You said “They bite kids” which made sound pretty standard behaviour, they dig holes, they like bones, they fetch sticks, they bite kids.

I’ve been assaulted by people more than I have by dogs.

grum: I never said it was his fault, most likely it is the fear/anxiety, maybe its something else, but molgrips does seem to have had a disproportionatly high number of negative dog encounters. I’m wondering if its a dog reaction to his mental state, or just sods law, I hate spiders, and I’m the only one in the house who routinely finds them in his bed, his pants draw, his towel, just on his leg etc…

piemonster

Ha ha, nice thought. But when poochy gets hungry enough, you’ll be on the menu don’t worry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If our veg patch is anything to go by then a cat would struggle to resist that much freshly dug soil

Top work

I have been bitten/scratched by more cats than dogs – granted this happens in peoples homes rather than on the mean streets.

Dogs can generally do more harm so there is more to be concerned about.

Not sure either species is any more or less aggressive as a rule tbh

piemonster

I favour neither one nor the other. They are different creatures suited best for different people.

I like both in equal measure.

On the cleaning up dog poo front. Yeh, that’s so much better than changing the bed sheets at 3am as kittums have just barfed everywhere. Twice last week the wretched little ****

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure it was the fear, and the running away. But it’s not unreasonable to expect a 4 year old kid to try and run away from a snarling barking animal with sharp teeth, is it?

Because there are dogs everywhere, we need to learn how to deal with dogs or risk being bitten. If you don’t have dogs yourself, then you don’t learn how to deal with them and you end up feeling scared every time you see a dog nearby. It’s a bit of a shame, isn’t it?

. I’ve spent my entire life around my own and other people’s dogs.

I think this may be part of it. I never spent time around dogs.

Not sure either species is any more or less aggressive as a rule tbh

I think it’s fairly obvious that cats are far less aggressive overall than dogs. I’ve never seen a cat do anything other than run away unless it was cornered, except where other cats were concerned. Many dogs however will try and attack anything and everyone. Of course lots of owners will have them under control, but you are relying on the skill of the owner to stop the dog getting involved.

I’ve never had to say ‘DOWN, KITTY, DOWN!’ and haul on a cat’s leash to stop it attacking someone….

unklehomered
    Free Member

Not all dogs, but the best of dogs are loyal beyond words. Moving story many will already know of, Ruswarp…

Ruswarp (pronounced “Russup”) was the name of a devoted Border Collie who stayed with his master’s body on a Welsh mountainside for 11 weeks over one winter.

Ruswarp was the inseparable companion of Graham Nuttall who campaigned successfully against the proposed closure of the Settle to Carlisle railway line in the 1980s.

Ruswarp’s paw print had the distinction of being the only canine signature of objection to the line’s closure.

In January 1990, after seeing the line reprieved, Mr Nuttall and Ruswarp bought day return tickets from Burnley to go walking in the Welsh Mountains. But Graham never returned.

Neighbours raised the alarm. Searches by police and mountain rescue teams found nothing.

Then on April 7, another walker found Graham’s body by a mountain stream. Nearby was Ruswarp, so weak that the 14 year old dog had to be carried off the mountain.

Ruswarp was cared for by a local vet with fees paid by the RSPCA, who quickly decided to award Ruswarp their Animal Medallion and collar for ‘vigilance’ and their Animal Plaque for ‘intelligence and courage’.

Ruswarp lived just long enough to attend Graham’s funeral. His devotion to his master reminded people of Edinburgh’s Greyfriars Bobby – the Skye Terrier who remained at his master’s graveside for 14 years until his own death in 1872.

Friends of the Settle to Carlisle Line commissioned a life-size bronze statue of Ruswarp from sculptress Joel Walker. It symbolises the successful campaign to save the line from closure, and the loyalty of man’s best friend.

Ruswarp’s eyes look towards the hills, and to a bench on the far platform, dedicated to Graham Nuttall. Garsdale was their favourite place.

😥

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Easy Dogs of course…

Rescue Dogs,
    Guard Dogs
    Blind Dogs…

I could go on but am at work and in a rush but list 20 things a dog can do and try and do the same for cats apart from kill tweety birds

footflaps

Every morning I get up to feed the cats and make tea, then we have a cup of tea in bed and the cats join is for a catch up and some synchronised farting:

George by brf, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Dogs. Easy.

Show me a cat that’ll go night riding with you and I might consider changing my vote

unklehomered
    Free Member

Actually molgrips I don’t think what you describe is at all uncommon, unfortunatley it sounds like you encountered loose dogs who were able to chase you, at a bad time. Sadly the chasing may not have helped, standing still and not reacting is better but indeed as you say to a 4 yrs I bet it doesn’t sound it, instinct would take over, particularly if you’ve had a bad history. The dogs shouldn’t have been loose and able to chase you.

That’s a big shame. All I can say is they can be lovely and incredibly affectionate, and sometimes capable of quite a deep understanding.

If you are ever in Nidderdale there’s a golden retriever who I’m sure would offer you a suck on his most favourite raggy toy.

molgrips
    Free Member

As an adult I have known nice dogs, but they still smell a bit 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

You will notice I have not disputed the smelly comment. Note to self – bath dog.

piemonster

Yes, they all smell

And slobber to varying amounts

molgrips
    Free Member

Ugh.. yes.. the slobber. Cats lick you clean and it feels lovely. Dogs slobber on you disgustingly. And in your face too!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a cat do anything other than run away

I find that hard to believe tbh
    I have never been attacked by my own dog but have been scratched by numerous cats I [ the household i sharred they were never mine] owned.
    My aunties cats comes over for attention and once bored it bites you then scratches you then runs off – it dpes this to everyone.
    You really never met an “aggressive” cat
    Granted I doubt anyone has even been attacked by a cat in the street as they are tto busy killing things to attack something as large as us ….I think the point remains that neither species is more aggressive but a dog can do more damage to us than a cat can. FWIW a cat attacks other stuff and probably more often than dogs attack anything.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Angus snots in my face when the excitment gets too much, or when he wants me to get out of bed.

Friend of mine has an aggresive cat. Not kidding, its an asbsolutely ****, to everyone. It actually bits if you go pet it. ONly one like that I’ve ever encountered. Sits on me, stares in my face basically saying “You so much as touch me and I will shred the skin from your bones.” – thing is its ginger and fat and I find it hilarious, convulse in laughter, which also gets me bitten…

molgrips
    Free Member

JY you were in their house though.

I bet you’ve never been rushed at by a snarling cat trying to attack you. I bet you’ve never had to try and defuse a situation with a cat miaowing furiously at you with bared teeth…?

binners

Footflaps – my morning routine is remarkably similar. Definitely the brews, feeding cats and farting bit, anyway.

Except that once our cats have been fed, they go absolutely mental, chasing each other, full tilt, around the house. Then recreating some kind of WWF Smack down in the bedroom, complete with hiding-in-the-washing-basket ambushes. Which all makes for great viewing as you have your first coffee of the day. 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Plus I’ve never been out on a run or ride and heard a cat owner say ‘oh, tiddles has never done that before’, or ‘you shouldn’t really be moving as it gets tiddles defensive’.

plus cat’s don’t litter trees with bags of poo, just other peoples veg plots.

molgrips
    Free Member

How many times have you been riding past a farm and the farm cat comes tearing out of the farmyard with teeth bared trying to bite you?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The same number as dogs NIL.

I bet you’ve never been rushed at by a snarling cat trying to attack you. I bet you’ve never had to try and defuse a situation with a cat miaowing furiously at you with bared teeth…?

A point i have now made three times but the issue was which species was the most aggressive not whether there was a geographical difference in their attack patterns
    I have never had to diffuse a cat as they simply attacked me without warning as they are devious and not to be trusted 😉

Both can be aggressive, dogs do more damage , cats do it in their own house, dogs do it everywhere but cats kill more things but not humans

My point is i dont think either is mor eor less aggressive but yes in public it will more likley be a cat than a dog by a magnitude of thousands or millions unless of course you are small enough for it to kill and eat you

piemonster

My folk new dog “Cocker Spaniel” usually wets itself with excitement when she meets someone new who make a fuss of her.

molgrips
    Free Member

A point i have now made three times but the issue was which species was the most aggressive

I’ve given loads of examples as to why I think dogs are much more aggressive. Those farms you ride past – there are cats in there too, almost certainly. They don’t try and chase me off.

I see just as many cats out running as dogs. Most dogs are having to be restrained by their owners, most cats just glance at me as they walk by. No doubt on their way to be aggressive to some mice or something 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody wake up - Réveil sanglant

plus cat’s don’t litter trees with bags of poo

I could be wrong, but I don’t think dogs do that either.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member

Not all dogs, but the best of dogs are loyal beyond words. Moving story many will already know of, Ruswarp…
    A touching story of a dog that was too dense to go and get help, preferring to sit and watch ..

MSP

plus cat’s don’t litter trees with bags of poo, just other peoples veg plots.

Well that’s dog owners, not the dogs. Cat owners just litter the internet with incredibly annoying pictures of their substitute babies.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Let’s not forget Crows are the real trouble makers.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQd9kuXpUYU[/video]

Drac

I’ve never been bitten by a dog but I have been bitten by a few cats.

camo16
    Free Member

You all realise that – while this topic is being thoroughly discussed on here, Mr Cat is…

… and Mr Dog is…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘whats better, cats or dogs?’ is closed to new replies.