Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Whats best? Eccles Cake or Chorley Cake?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I reckon Chorley Cake. You?

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Chorley for me to!

snowslave

Chorley defo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

I'll go with Chorley too. Having lived in Eccles, I know nothing good can ever come from that god-forsaken hole

MrAgreeable

I love a nice puffy Eccles cake but Chorley cake is completely unknown to me. Wikipedia reckons it's like an Eccles cake but you eat it with a slice of cheese? In which case, are you all trying to commit suicide by heart disease?!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never heard of a chorley cake FFS – oddly enough pretty hard to get hold of in Chorley …do Halls make them?

They are both farily cr@p IMHO
    PS live in Chorley

Awaits cries of hersey from the other locals.

traildog
    Free Member

I live in Chorley and prefer Eccles cakes. I like the puffy pastry. Chorley cakes are like Eccles cakes but with normal stodgy pastry. Not tried them with Cheese, but most people I know eat them with butter, like a scone.

Neither are 'best', it's what you prefer. Maybe I should try a Chorley cake with Marmite, that might be interesting….

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Eccles every time. Only ever had Chorley once. The shops never sell it here. So Eccles by default.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wasn't sure of the difference, but if it's the puff pastry then ECCLES RA RA!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Eccles and Chorleys are for pansies if you want a real tooth aching heart stopping cake it has to be Sly Cake

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-027y84.html

cold
    Free Member

A very good Eccles cake beats any Chorley cake IMHO, trouble is there are not many good Eccles cakes around so I would usually go for a Chorley cake….however Lardy Cake beats the lot!

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Eccles cakes should be eaten with butter on top, or in a dish covered with Bird's Custard. Chorley cakes are sugared on top, and are made with flaky (aka puff) pastry. Wife used to live right opposite Joe Hall's, so we consider ourselves experts!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Wikipedia mentions something called a Sad Cake – sounds like a monster Chorley Cake!

BTW, Chorley services on the motorway sells Chorley Cakes. Mmmm…

r0bh
    Free Member

however Lardy Cake beats the lot!

With you there!

surfer
    Free Member

nothing good can ever come from that god-forsaken hole

I disagree, I ran my 5000m pb there, Eccles that is!

Favourite cakes as well!

DomC
    Free Member

Chorley cake everytime. There's something about the thick, stodgy pastry that just goes better with the sticky raisin filling. Also never ever dreamt of putting cheese on one. My grandma used to butter them though 🙂

stever
    Free Member

They are both mighty treats. It's a broad church and there's room for all.

MrOvershoot

ChatsworthMusters – Member
    Eccles cakes should be eaten with butter on top, or in a dish covered with Bird's Custard. Chorley cakes are sugared on top, and are made with flaky (aka puff) pastry. Wife used to live right opposite Joe Hall's, so we consider ourselves experts!

You sure about that?
    All the Eccles cakes I have eaten (and its a lot, which goes some way to explain my waistline) have been made with Puff pastry and the Chorley cakes were dry stodgy things that would have been vastly improved by cream or custard

Vortexracing

Chorly cakes with LOADS of butter spread on them

and Junkyard, you should be ashamed.

Remind me and i'll bring some to the Ton's STW ride. it sounds like some folk (including you) need educating in the excellence of the North of England grub.

Should I bring some black puddings as well?

Junkyard
    Free Member

and a wigan kebab?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

however Lardy Cake beats the lot!

With you there!

Damn straight, a nice syrupy Lardy cake FTW!

yoshimi

Junkyard = Traitor

snowslave

In the interests of scientific research, I have just purchased one of each and done a test. Firstly, Mr Overshoot is correct – Eccles Cakes are the ones with the puffy type pastry. Secondly, Eccles cakes have more dead flies in them. Thirdly, they were kinda both lovely in their own way. I need to repeat the test just to be sure…

Vortexracing

snowslave did you butter the Chorley cake?

makes a load of difference.

traildog
    Free Member

ChatsworthMusters, consider yourself an expert by all means, but you have the two the wrong way round. Chorley cakes are generally consumed buttered.

To confuse you even more, the Chorley cake factory is down the road, in Eccleston….

snowslave

I buttered both, just like MBR insists on using the same tyres for all bike tests I think

MrOvershoot

Thanks for that snowslave, so what was this about you being an expert ChatsworthMusters 😉

IMO the reason you have to butter the Chorley cake is to make it nearly as good as the Eccles cake

jojoA1
    Free Member

Chelsea buns, dahling! Mmmmm cinnamon. 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Eccles cakes have more dead flies in them

From the works canteen Steve? I'm not sure the dead flies are just confined to the eccles cakes there so I think dead flies can be removed from the "research".

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Well I've never buttered a Chorley cake. Are you talking about the rather large thin flat cakes, or the somehwat smaller but deeper cakes with sugar on the top. Eccles cakes are of the small and deep shape, but no sugar on top, ideal for butter.

Could be we're talking about lots of variations on a theme here. How many varieties of Cheddar cheese are there?

snowslave

Working from home Dave, so proper Mancunian Eccles cakes, from ermmm Ardwick. Oh, and for the record, the Chorley cakes were from Burnley.

snowslave

OK, here is an eccles cake

And here is a chorley cake

Biro is included to give a sense of scale. Note, Eccles cake is fat and is made of puff pastry. Chorley cake is flatter, not puff pastry. Dead fly count for an Eccles cake accounts for 40% of ingredients. For Chorley cake it accounts for only 27%. I've not put them on the scales, but I'd say the Chorley cakes are defo heavier.

MrOvershoot

Good work snowslave, I'm hungry now 😉

yoshimi

Snowslave, I admire your dedication to this subject 😀

Clearly the Chorley cake is far superior but Glovers bakery do the best ones – I think yours is actually a Burnley cake

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

So what are the thin flat ones, approx twice the diameter of those shown?

snowslave

Yeah you're right there, the Burnley chorley cake had a nazi nasty after taste.

boom boom…
    igmc x 50

steve-g
    Free Member

as per the pictures…eccles cake containing pure butter, chorley cake deliciaous when buttered, from this in infer that there is not enough butter in chorley cake

snowslave

Actually the eccles cake packet says it can be served hot. From this I infer there is not enough heat in an eccles cake, and it is an ecological disaster, requiring heat to cook and more heat to serve.

I have never even considered eating a hot eccles cake before.

mogrim

Those are cakes in the same way Jaffa cakes are, glorified biscuits. Must be a northern thing 🙂

MrAgreeable

It's a cake if it gets harder the older it gets.
    It's a biscuit if it gets softer the older it gets.

Jaffa cakes are neither cake nor biscuit. They are sweetened wall insulation with a blob of Swarfega on top.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Whats best? Eccles Cake or Chorley Cake?’ is closed to new replies.