Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What's a wee bit grippier than a 29er HR2 2.3 3C…
  • Northwind

But less ridiculous than a 2.5 Minion DHF? Ideally around true 2.3, not too heavy, doesn’t have to be that durable as I’m not hard on tyres. For the front of my trailfox for less serious days- I have a Shorty and the aforementioned ridiculous Minion 2.5 for harder use. Trailcentre and XC stuff basically.

Butcher’s out, love it on the back but never got on with it as a front. Hans Dampf remains as pish as it always was
    2.3 Minion might do it but still pretty heavy.
    Onza Ibex?
    I hate myself for saying it, but Nobby Nic?
    something I’ve not thought of?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

DHR2

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had the 29″ HR2 you speak of, was awful for some reason, I was delighted when after 3 weeks the knobs done a schwalbe and departed from the casing, and I got a refund.

29″ chunky monkey is a cracking front tyre IMO.

chiefgrooveguru

DHR2 if there’s a 29″ one.

woodster

Ibex 2.4 isa very nice all round tyre without being too extreme. It’s probably true to size at a touch larger than the Hans Dampf which I also find a bit crap.

I picked up a VeeTire Crown F cheaply which looks interesting at a decent weight, but I haven’t mounted it yet.

jam-bo

Ibex is basically a high roller copy.

Northwind

Cheers folks!

I don’t hate the HR2 tbh, it’s just not awesome. I’m a total tyre nerd so I do like to have them just how I want, and it’s not that.

DHR2- I should have thought of that myself, I may be a div. Cheers! I just love the irony after having DHFs on both ends of going DHR on the front. Definite contender.

Chunky Monkey I’m going to rule out because I’m a h8er.

The Ibex interests me for a couple of reasons, and yeah one is that it’s a highroller copy. Not a bad thing. Weight seems reasonable, price is excellent. I guess unless someone slags it, it’s on the list.

Woodster, where did you find the Crown? Interesting, those

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[stwAnswer]The Skills to use them 😉 [/stwAnswer]

After much messing around my mate went Minion 2.5 on his Trigger 29. No real regrets there. Got eh 26 version and it’s great.

Northwind

I do like the big minion (*) for stuff where all that grip is more useful, steeps and smashing through rocks and that. I don’t mind the weight and drag when it’s working hard but I reckon slow tyres can take a lot of the fun out of easier trails. This isn’t to replace it, it’s just to have an extra option.

(* not that big, I have a 4.8 Minion on the Dune)

Northwind

Decided to try an Ibex, purely because it was £25 😆 Cheers folks!

fizik
    Free Member

Wouldn’t rule out the chunky monkey, its well documented as an awesome front tyre and is made by maxxis, mine will be going back on for summer and prefer it to my 2.5 dhf 3c

rOcKeTdOg

Where are you getting an ibex for £25 from? I can only find winstanleys & their “available to order” traditionally means “no stock, we can get one in who knows how many weeks”

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The chunky monkey is the scariest most horrible tyre I’ve used recently. You can have mine for free as I’ll be binning it in order to stay healthy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only in mud Dan, as a front tyre on big rocky descents, it’s wicked.

fizik
    Free Member

The chunky monkey isnt a mud tyre, but for loose/hardpack rock it takes alot of beating when run around 16-18psi in 29er format

Paceman
    Free Member

Schwalbe Magic Mary?

Northwind

@rocketdog- looks like I got the last one, it was in stock last night (er, hopefully, Winstanleys factor applies)

rOcKeTdOg

Ah, cool. Fingers crossed!

Northwind

Mmaybe they’ll also send me those Hope Hoops I ordered in 2010 that will be back in stock any day now, save on postage

Northwind

It arrived! No Hoops though. Still, can’t be much longer

sillyoldman

Conti Der Kaisser 29×2.4.

Been waiting on them for over a year – finally arrived. Yet to try them, but they look good, and based on the Baron with the same carcass, I’m expecting good things.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What's a wee bit grippier than a 29er HR2 2.3 3C…’ is closed to new replies.