Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What's a 'typical' Android phone?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I’m a long time Apple user who’s just started building an app for Android.

The Android hardware universe is enormous compared to Apple – can folks give me a clue on what a reasonable hardware constraint to target is. (We don’t need to target 100% of installed base, a “typical contemporary user” would do).

Thanks.

kimbers

I use mine to read stw while im having a dump

miketually
    Free Member

Samsung S2?

stumpy01

Not sure I understand the question, but are you asking what a popular handset people use might be?

If so, I’d aim around Samsumg Galaxy SIII/SIV/HTC One/Sony Xperia Z. That kind of thing.

mattjg
    Free Member

stumpy yes, that’s the question, ta

sl2000

A bit old, but hopefully useful http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/

Cougar

There’s an interesting link on that page which might help too.

http://opensignal.com/blog/2013/07/30/40-developer-tips-for-android-optimization/

(Sorry if I’m stating the blindingly obvious, but it might’ve got missed in the background noise.)

clubber
    Free Member

Also, depending on what the app is, you will likely change your market – eg if it’s a techy app for geeks, I’d suggest that they’re more likely to have up to date handsets than the wider audience who will use less techy stuff.

Or since you’re familiar with Apple, I’d work out which model of iPhone is the earliest you want to support and pick out the phones from say Samsung, Sony, HTC and maybe Motorola of the same era and check the specs of those as they are typically broadly similar.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Moto G

jeffl

S3, S4, HTC One, Moto G, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 should cover it. Don’t forget tablets.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Desire. Or Galaxy S5

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What's a 'typical' Android phone?’ is closed to new replies.