Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • What's a sensible numbers of lumens for night riding?
  • jedi

nope 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

My 700 lumen (Mk1) Exposure Toro lights the trail better than the 900 lumen Magichine I have.

Nobby, I think you demonstrate Convert’s point there.

EDIT:
    Not to mention that the Exposure is probably more likely to be 700 lumens. It has since come to light that the original magicshine, while claiming to be 900 lumens, actually came out nearer 550 lumens.

Luminous
    Free Member

nope

Well ^^^ theres the link, and it looks to me like you’re riding on 1000 lumens, which answers the OP’s question quite nicely.
    😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Taff
    Free Member

I use a DX light on my lid and that’s more than adequate for night racing. An extra one on the bars is good if you can especially if a flood

Speshpaul

“jedi – Member
    i was out last night and the leaves were down so having my troutie dominator on 2nd highest setting helped see the hidden trails. i use it on medium usually”

Thats so other people can see you right? because you’d be using the force. Just thought i’d clear that up 😀

jedi

yeah sometimes i d have to 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

depends on a mixture of what others youre riding with are using, and your approach to nightriding (the experience of night riding, or just riding at night). I started night riding 15yrs ago with a 10W halogen Niterider helmet mount powered by a nicad, spent more time turned off than on to eek out battery life. I now ride with a cheapo “250 lumen” ebay torch on my helmet, and more recently with a little 150 lumen NR minewt on the bar too. Most of my riding buddies have 900+lumen jobbies, and I actually spend most of my time with my lights turned off chasing the guys in front and looking into their pool of light. I always found night riding improved my technique as you cant/dont fixate on the little stuff on the trail, so you relax and roll over it, and using the rider in front’s light pool means lifting and extending your vision.

roverpig

Many years ago (in the days of halogen) I learnt that there is a lot more to lights than lumens. After a few experiences with cheaper lights I moved to some Lumicycle ones. While the quoted output was lower they were so much better. Maybe some of these new Chinese made LEDs are better, but ever since then I’ve stuck with the bigger brands. The headline number may be lower, but if the heat sinking and optics are better it will still be a better light out on the trail.

Cheers,

Andy

mattjevans
    Free Member

Is there any reason not to have the brighter light on your helmet? I have a 300!(old) and a 1000 (new) but no helmet mount for the 300 (an older model Minewt mini) which I can get but is £30 or so

Northwind

mattjevans – Member

Is there any reason not to have the brighter light on your helmet?

No. In fact, depending on your setup, it might well make more sense to do it this way round.

Only downside is if it’s cloudy or misty, as a bright helmet light will glare you. (or snowing!)

But for me, these days a good light on the noggin is all you need, it’ll give you the range and the breadth of vision that you used to need 2 for. I still have a bar light as a spare but it’s the helmet light that does all the work.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What's a sensible numbers of lumens for night riding?’ is closed to new replies.