Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what’s a good winter ss road/gravel bike to get?
  • racefaceec90

am looking to get a singlespeed road/adventure bike of some sort to use in bad weather,winter etc.

would like steel,but am open to any material tbh.

am thinking up to £700 budget but cheaper if possible.

i live in devizes so plenty of hills to climb (not sure what gearing to go for tbh).

thanks in advance 👍

ElShalimo

My old 58cm Tricross with 3×9

Shorten the chain and it’s a single speed!

😉

racefaceec90

ha thanks ElSHalimo for the offer but i am 5ft 5 (52 cm frame size) so way too big for me.

abingham

Sounds daft, but I’d really recommend trying a fixed gear for something like that. Maybe look for something like a Surly Steamroller, Genesis Day-One, Specialized Tricross Single-Cross.

I love my fixed gear/gravel/tracklocross build for mucking about on local bridleways and a bit of winter road riding.

13thfloormonk

Look for a second hand Charge Plug singlespeed (the bright pink one from a few years back, although they came in black also).

Big tyre clearance, fun handling, light for the price, is the last bike I’ll ever sell 😎

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got a singlespeed Roadrat with hydraulic discs and file tread cross tyres, sound perfect for what you want.
    Mostly road riding but with the ability to spot a new track and think ‘I wonder where that goes’
    Regards gearing, I’m in the Borders and use 42/18 which is fine for all the road hills around here, a few offroad climbs I struggle with. On trips to Lincolnshire I go for 42/16 but could maybe go bigger still

TiRed

Used Kona Paddy Wagon. Classic road geometry and steel frame. Room for decent mudguards (pdw). Mine has carbon fork and better wheels. It’s a fabulous ride on which I do most of my rides.

hardtailonly

OP, I’ve a Cotic Escapade set up SS in the classifieds, have PMd you.

racefaceec90

@hardtailonly apologies just started saving towards a new bike so couldn’t afford to buy it atm.but that is a lovely cotic 👍

p7eaven
    Free Member

Genesis Flyer or Genesis Day One came to mind, but they seem limited in availability sizewise.

Any good?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Look for a second hand Charge Plug singlespeed (the bright pink one from a few years back, although they came in black also).

Big tyre clearance, fun handling, light for the price, is the last bike I’ll ever sell

+1

I’ve got the black version.

It’s got really nice geometry for a cheep bike. Rather than just lopping a degree or two off the head angle it’s got a slightly shorter stem (100mm on the large) and longer TT so it matches a road bike for fit without feeling unsteady off road.

Currently doing a good job as my longer distance commuter and winter trainer.

IMG-20211017-WA0000

And +1 for going fixed. Although I can’t deal with anything more off road than gravel with it. As soon as things get steep, bumpy or jumpy I need my freewheel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what’s a good winter ss road/gravel bike to get?’ is closed to new replies.