Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What’s a good recent thriller (film?) to watch?
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

Haven’t seen a cracking glue to the screen action or psych thriller for ages. Trid that Liam Neeson Trucks on Ice thing a few weeks back and didn’t last 10 mins it was so bad (IMO)!

What have you, filmlovers? Ta

(Prime, Netflix, Beeb, Ch4?)

Have enjoyed Sicario, Fracture, Jo Nesbo’s Headhunters, sort of thing

ollie_the_brave
    Free Member

Watched Parasite recently. Stuck with me. Superb film in many many ways. I think that would fit the bill…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Trid that Liam Neeson Trucks on Ice thing a few weeks back and didn’t last 10 mins it was so bad (IMO)!

😂

That really was awful wasn’t it? I mean…I’m there thinking, “this is going to be shite…but it might not be that bad…” but oh man, it was so much worse.

montgomery
    Free Member

Nobody.

My second post-lockdown cinema trip after Quiet Place II (also ace).

scuttler

Oh flip you just reminded me of the border crossing scene in Sicario. 😬

Oh flip you just reminded me of the border crossing scene in Sicario

So good. Really a great movie. Shame the sequel was a bit less good.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Gah, got all excited by the ‘Nobody’ trailer, then find it’s £15.99 to rent? Am I too old or is that a bit steep?

montgomery
    Free Member

Worth every penny ..

martinhutch

Don’t Breathe
    Get Out
    Parasite (not really an out and out thriller, just gets a bit disturbing)
    I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane – is that recent?

chakaping
    Free Member

Midsommar is still on NF.

That’s more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie.

Very good. Not the thing if you wanted action scenes though

ton

Hunter Hunter. palm sweating the whole way through the film.

theotherjonv

Recent? Don’t know if these count but both good nail chewing thrillers despite not being hugely action focused

Bridge of Spies

Eye in the Sky

hels
    Free Member

Do you have Shudder? Loads of good stuff on there.

grum
    Free Member

Not a film but Lupin is very good. Maybe more crime caper/mystery/revenge type of thing but definitely thriller-ish and tense in parts.

BillMC

Shooters (2001 not so recent) is unscripted and ace and free on YT.

montgomery
    Free Member

Amazon Prime currently has Bone Tomahawk up for free…

Klunk
    Free Member

Pig

bonzodog
    Free Member

Never heard of it, so thought I’d give it a try.

Just finished it. I’m 57. Possibly the most disturbing film I’ve ever seen. I’ll be thinking about it for days. Wicker Man on acid.

rone

Amazon Prime currently has Bone Tomahawk up for free…

Yeah you won’t want dessert!

Excellent film.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Never heard of it, so thought I’d give it a try.

Just finished it. I’m 57. Possibly the most disturbing film I’ve ever seen. I’ll be thinking about it for days. Wicker Man on acid.

Next day and I’m still thinking about that film. Wanted to add last night, despite the unsettling nature of it, it is beautifully filmed and looks wonderful on a big screen in 4K.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Watched Midsommar it was pretty nasty. ‘Wicker Man on acid’ is an excellent description. I’d say more gory and unsettling than thrilling.

Just watched The Invisible Man and that was an enjoyable action/suspense thriller that made me shout at the screen. Excellent performance from Elisabeth Moss. Fun, surprising, twisty and (beyond expectations) original.

The Old Guard (Netflix) seems promising. Watched first 20 mins which got it the thumbs up so saving for the weekend.

WillH

Ready or Not is pretty good.

Another vote for Get Out.

Not a recent film, but Black Swan is worth a watch, more psychological thriller than horror.

Also Leave No Trace is excellent. Not a horror or thriller, but the tension slowly ratchets up as the protagonists’ situation deteriorates. Based on a true story too.

nickc

Prisoners is on Netfix. Denis Villieneuve film from 2013. Great cast, very cool Thriller.

nickjb
    Free Member

Most definitely not recent but Escape from Alcatraz was on last night (and available on iPlayer). Thought I’d watch a bit and stayed to the end. A little dated but still a great film. All the things they did seem ridiculous but its pretty much all true.

Also A simple Plan is on iPlayer. Not quite as old and absolutely superb. A bit like Fargo.

kayak23

Another vote for Get Out

I feel like there must be two versions of this film, and I’ve missed the one that keeps getting recommended on here.

Was it the girl who took her new boyfriend home and met the parents etc?

I think it was quite possibly the worst film I’ve seen for a loooong time.
    Dreadful and not in a good way.

Edit-Just watched the trailer again which makes it look potentially good, but I only have memories of utter tosh. 😂

benpinnick

Not sure what genre it falls into, but suspend your desire for meaningful political commentary or well developed characters for a second and The Hunt is a good fun thriller film with plenty of ‘Did they really just do that?’ moments. Not for anyone who has an issue with blood though. Definitely one of the better films from the meagre 2020 crop for me.

sanername

Can I go the other way and suggest that The Killing (1956) and Rififi (1955) are two classic thrillers that really hold up to modern films.

grum
    Free Member

I feel like there must be two versions of this film, and I’ve missed the one that keeps getting recommended on here.

I thought the concept and the atmosphere of the setup etc was good but then it went downhill pretty rapidly.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get Out was perfectly fine IMO, bit of a pastiche of ’70s horror/thriller stuff like Stepford Wives and knowingly camp.

Anyione watch The Harder They Fall on NF yet?

Just watched The Invisible Man

Which service is this one please?

Flaperon

Last Breath. Absolutely gripping.

p7eaven
    Free Member

A simple Plan is on iPlayer. Not quite as old and absolutely superb. A bit like Fargo.

A Simple Plan is one of my all time favourites. Can’t believe it’s nearly 24 years ago. And yet still habitually think of it as a Coen brothers film.

#plaidsnotdead

Just watched The Invisible Man

@chakaping
    Which service is this one please?

Amazon purchase only (UK, but also on rental in US) or Sky Movies on the 22nd Nov.

My ‘day after’ review in retrospect and to be more critical of the film: It has a whiff of B-movie about it and feels somewhat like the wrong vehicle for Moss to be driving, but it’s still a fun brain-holiday)

Thanks for loads of suggestions will be checking them all out.

fasthaggis

The Trip is not bad Trailer

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree more. I watched it following the recommendations on here but thought it was utter tosh 🙂

That’s just my opinion though, others may enjoy it.

desperatebicycle

You want tosh, utter tosh – it’s that “Nobody” pile of junk. If you stop watching after the bus scene, maybe it gets away with it, but after that it’s just stupid.

Nearest I can get to that sort of thing is War On Everyone
    but there’s no accounting for taste 😛

donks
    Free Member

Quite liked Last night in Soho. Kind of horror .. pyscodelic thriller, if found reasonably enjoyable.

Also quite liked The Show. A bit left field from Alan Moore but I found it pretty entertaining especially as I live next to Northampton (which is where it’s set). Worth a watch.

Small engine repair…not stellar but it kept me engaged enough 7 out of 10?

And lastly…..Pig.
    Really enjoyed this.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Whiplash – brilliant movie. You won’t get higher tension than that.

Locke – although the premise is far from thrilling: man drives down the M1 and makes 40 odd phonecalls (hands free of course) it’s absolutely gripping.

Agree with the haters on Get Out. The most overrated movie I’ve seen in years. Along with The Favourite.

Couple of Clive Owen movies just came to mind. Children of Men and The International. Worth a watch.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What’s a good recent thriller (film?) to watch?’ is closed to new replies.