Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What’s a fair swap deal on XT M800 vs SRAM Guide RSC ?
  • weeksy

So i’ve got XT M8000 brakes that my boy doesn’t like, a guy i know on another forum as a set of Guide RSC which he doesn’t like, so the logical move is for us to swap as he likes XT’s

However i don’t really know where the deal should be in terms of price either way ?

Thoughts appreciated.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I would suggest at least four pairs of Avids for each pair of Shimano.
    Actually scratch that. I don’t think there is any number of Avids that I would take and keep in preference to Shimanos

weeksy

well, i’m different to you as is my lad… So lets ignore the fact some hate SRAM/Avid 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

How could you betray us by daring to talk about bikes on another forum!!

intheborders
    Free Member

If the XT’s have already suffered from ‘bite point wandering’, keep quiet and straight swap. If they haven’t, straight swap.

Or he may have other ideas…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Surely you just go 1 to 1.

Everyone is happy.

Otherwise each of you has to work out exactly how much you dislike the brakes you are giving away, and then compare that with the other party’s dislike. Which obviously isn’t going to work

You both want the other person’s brakes more that your own. So just swap the damn things.

weeksy

If the XT’s have already suffered from ‘bite point wandering’, keep quiet and straight swap

Not aware of any issues, my lad has ridden them twice, they feel good to me.

docrobster
    Free Member

Well I think the guides probably sold for more new- £195 an end vs £125 rrp on the xt
    On eBay now there is a set of m8000 unused taken off a bike for £100 and identically described rsc £230
    So I think you are looking at somewhere around £100 to go with the shimanos.
    Others may disagree…

Edit- straight swap been suggested. I would take that if offered it! What does the other guy say…?

escrs
    Free Member

Personally id straight swap

The Shimano’s suffer with wandering bite point and the calipers develop micro leaks

The Sram’s suffer with sticky piston in the lever when its hot so the lever dose’nt return properly

The Sram issue can be fixed cheaply

The Shimano issue cant be fixed cheaply and if out of warranty means you have to buy a new lever or a new caliper or worse a whole new brake if your unlucky enough to have both issues!

Or just go buy some Hopes and sell the Shimano’s

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just swap them.

Tracey

New XT800 on Google are around £180 a pair, new Guide RSCs on Google around £270 so £90 difference.
    If I was selling both I would be looking at half price for second hand so assuming the Guides are in the same condition I would be looking for straight swap plus £45 to £50
    Anything above that and I would be selling the XTs on and funding some new or unused RSCs or some new Guide REs

The REs are the only SRAM we have got on with, so much so I took the new Code RSCs of my new bike and fitted Saints. The Codes are up in the garage loft, just in case I need a spare for the REs

weeksy

The Sram’s suffer with sticky piston in the lever when its hot so the lever dose’nt return properly

The Sram issue can be fixed cheaply

I’ve done this on a fair few sets now so i’m more than happy with that issue and fix.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What’s a fair swap deal on XT M800 vs SRAM Guide RSC ?’ is closed to new replies.