Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What’s a beginner’s mixing set up these days?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

So, back in the day mates of mine had the industry standard pair of 1210’s & a 19″ mixer to DJ with.

What’s a modern equivalent at the beginner’s / intermediate end these days?

And how best to access music? It used to be vinyl only which you had to buy and have a copy to play, but with the array of Spotify etc can these be used as a source of tunes?

We currently have an all singing and dancing gaming PC (that I’ll likely struggle to be allowed to use) and an ancient laptop.

What’s a go to set up these days?

I guess that I’d ultimately like the retro vibe of vinyl and turntable, but appreciate that there may be more modern options out there to play this game these days.

Interested in the various options & costs to DJ in my kitchen!

sc-xc

My lad and a few of his mates use pioneer xdj’s…they like them. The studio they use has cdj’s.

He gets his tunes from producers who release dub packs – he’s strictly drum and bass though. He used to somehow convert songs from YouTube etc.

grum
    Free Member

If you just want cheap and convenient some kind of DJ controller is pretty fun, the software might work on an ancient laptop but you’d have to check that out.

CDJs are the industry standard still and if you ever have pretensions of playing at parties/clubs/festivals then that’s what you’ll be using so practising on them might be a good plan. There is a controller that is basically CDJs without the CDs so would be fine for practising on for clubs etc, not sure if it will from pen drives without a laptop but I think there is one that will.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’d just get a traktor kontrol
    And beatport for the tunes!

Then if your still having fun, get the time code vinyl and some 1210s

devash
    Free Member

Any simple 2 channel USB DJ controller will do. You can spend from £50 to over a grand but they basically all do the same thing. I had a Native Instruments Control S4 which was a 4 channel setup and perfectly replaced my 1210s and Pioneer CDJs, and was even robust enough to do a few gigs in clubs. Their current 2 channel one (Control S2 MK3) can be had for less than £300 brand new.

TheFlyingOx

Numark Mixtrack Pro off eBay, whichever version meets your budget – I’ve got an original mk1 and it’s perfectly good for home use.
    Serato DJ lite (free) – other software is available but I find Serato the most intuitive, and worth paying for the Pro version
    Monthly subscription to Tidal – you can stream direct to Serato from Tidal

That’s all I have and it’s plenty good enough for messing about at home and the odd village hall gig

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If you want to go cheap there is Mixxx which is surprisingly good for free software!

stanfree
    Free Member

My son started with the basic Pioneer wego then bought a Pioneer SB200 , he now has a numark £600 job. He rips the tunes of youtube which isnt ideal as the quality is a bit varied. Its great fun though , I had decks back in the day but wasn’t very good. Can just about get by with his Numark but it takes some practice. Probably a lot easier than the old days though I try not to use sync and use wee loops . When the wife is watching her reality crap I normally head up for a couple of hours .A decent laptop is a must as mine isn’t powerful enough and some effects are a bit much for the pc.

Olly
    Free Member

These are cheap enough, and you can get one that goes in the drill youve already got, rather than needing to get a specific tool for it.

grum
    Free Member

Numark Mixtrack Pro off eBay, whichever version meets your budget – I’ve got an original mk1 and it’s perfectly good for home use.

These are really good for the money. We used to have one at a youth centre I worked at and it lasted surprisingly well with the abuse from the kids!

lesgrandepotato

If you can stretch to it the classic Kitchen aid stand mixer is always a winner.

qwerty
    Free Member

These are cheap enough, and you can get one that goes in the drill youve already got, rather than needing to get a specific tool for it.

EDM not drill, bruv.

grantyboy
    Free Member

Pioneer DDJ200/400/800/1000

Pick one for your budget.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Pioneer DDJ200/400/800/1000

All depends on where you see yourself going…I have a 200 for travelling light (works with ipad or laptop) a 400 for longer trips away with laptop and a 1000 at home. I’ve played a few sessions in a hotel bar with both 200 & 400.
    All great and out of the 3, I’d say 400 as it’s the lowest price with the CDJ layout.

The 1000 is a superb piece of kit, with all the bells and whistles, but 90% of the time 2 decks are enough.

I can see me getting a couple of xdj-700s to use at home with the 1000 to get used to the workflow, should I get to do parties/gigs on club gear, rather than my own.

I put mixes up on Mixcloud every week or so-its all part of my learning experience and is different to paying ‘live’ but equally as fun!

qwerty
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

So, once I’ve selected a mixing set (decks & mixer combined), I’ll need a laptop to run a music source that I’ll likely need to subscribe to & I can then play through my home hifi. Anything I’ve missed ❓

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

A set of wired headphones….
    I am still using my HD25’s that I have had for probably 20 years….. and its been at least 10 since I actually worked as a DJ….

But for messing around and home use, pick your budget and find some reasonably closed back headphones

Freester

Thanks for the advice so far.

So, once I’ve selected a mixing set (decks & mixer combined), I’ll need a laptop to run a music source that I’ll likely need to subscribe to & I can then play through my home hifi. Anything I’ve missed ❓

Just be aware there are two types of ‘mixing set’. You’ve got controllers – like a posh joystick I guess that controls the software playback on the laptop / PC / Mac. There are other standalone ‘all in one’ combined decks / mixers that don’t need a laptop (but you can plug one in for extra functionality), or you go down the turntable / xdj / cdj + mixer route.

Beware Spotify doesn’t allow streaming to any DJ kit. You’re looking at Beatport / Soundcloud and or Tidal. Another alternative is to use a DJ Pool for downloads. If you have any aspirations to play out then you probably wouldn’t rely on streaming. Also most streaming services don’t allow you record using your controller software (there are ways around this however).

HTH Freester newbie DJ aged 48 and a 1/4

grantyboy
    Free Member

HD25’s are still the standard to be fair. Though for starting out I’m sure Pioneer so some basic headphones.
    I buy all my kit from here, they will do you a package;
    https://www.djkit.com/pioneer-dj/pioneer-ddj-400.html

Personally I run a DDJ-1000 with a pair of PLX-1000’s at home. I play at clubs on their CDJ’s and take the DDJ-1000 to bar gigs when the equipment is sub par which happens A LOT

Freester

@mikertroid what music do you play? Care to share your Mixcloud link / moniker.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Hi Freester, mainly Tech House, some funky/disco stuff in there too.

My mixes are at: Mixcloud: Strutting Fox

Hope you find some stuff you like. Let me know what you think…..Just remember I’m not a pro!!

Freester

I’ll have a listen – have followed you. Feel free to have a listen to mine. I’ve only been at this since Xmas really. I’m improving but none of it is perfect. I kind of fall into Progressive / Tech / Minimal / Deep genres.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@Freester have done and will have a listen. I think it’s harder recording than playing to an audience. My mixes have plenty of bits I’d improve, but that’s half the point of subjecting myself to it!

Freester

@mikertroid thank you – feedback welcome also. I’ve done a few streams too – on RPAN and Twitch. I find I can be very self critical, some of it justified, some less so which is why I put the mixes up – like you! The later ones are better than the older ones!!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What’s a beginner’s mixing set up these days?’ is closed to new replies.