Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 227 total)
  • Whatever happpened to Tim Gould?
  • beicmynydd
    Free Member
    boltonjon

I remember Dave Hemmings visiting our home town during a big cycling event and doing a few hours coaching with about 10 aspiring mountain bikers – i loved it and i still crave after a Chas Roberts Dog Bollox

What about Missy Giove with the dead piranha she wore around her neck?? Top girl!!

However, a quick google search shows that she was recently busted with a couple hundred lbs of ganja in New York – not good!!

[/url] giove by boltonjon, on Flickr[/img]

sharki
    Free Member

For Qwerty.

He had a better Brolly 😡

😉

iamtheresurrection

Earthquake Jake tragically died on his bike: struck a rock I think.

Shaun Palmer. Came in, won well, then disappeared.

And Caroline’s Dynatech must have been made elsewhere I had had one in team colours that must have weighed 8lb for the frame alone.

nick3216
    Free Member

But if you raced in clogs, it didn’t really matter.

I never actually got round to screwing cleats into them!

racemonkey

I remember being in the Lantern Pike in Little Hayfield one night about 15 years ago and Fred Salmon came in. Bought everybody a beer and kept us all entertained with his stories all night. Proper good night and he was bonkers.

Great memories of watching Nick Craig and Barrie Clarke racing around the cyclo cross course in Ashton Court for the finals of the British Champs I think, a few years back. They stormed up the gravel track quicker than I ride up it I reckon.

Wasn’t Ned Overend racing ultra Ironman for Specialized a few years back and winning?

And I’m sure I saw an mtb program a couple of weeks back on Eurosport that showed Frishi running a team that his son rides for. I couldn’t believe when he snapped his chain at the Grundig in Plymouth in the 90’s right before the stream crossing on the first lap then calmly repaired it and stormed round to go from dead last to third I think in 5 laps. Absolutely awesome.

bigjim

Don’t think it was Thomas…this would have been 92/93 – I’m sure it was the last year the World MTB series was sponsored by Grundig and was at Strathpeffer..

I was there, John Tomac signed my brochure, which was nice. I can’t remember who walked over the line, but the course was pretty crap I’d say, a lot of it was running over bogs. Think I still have the VHS with it on somewhere…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I remember Mike Kluge taking a wee strop when he came to race in Scotland – think it was at Strathpeffer…it was a wet day and he decided to protest at the conditions. The interview he gave was a total prima donna-esque affair telling the camera that MTB racers were professionals and shouldn’t be expected to race in such wet conditions as they had careers to consider…I think he might have been told to race but in his protest he got about 5m from the finish line, dismounted and walked across carrying his bike.

Strangely as I watched that race, he was the only one that seemed to be properly complaining about the weather and conditions…he needed to seriously harden up!

I think this was at one of the Rothiemurchus World Cup races, either the Grundig or the Carlsberg one.

I think it was Mike Kluge that was complaining about having to ford a tributary of the Spey. It was about 40 yards across, swiftly flowing and well over knee deep. I fell in and my bike was washed downstream. I dont know what all the fuss was about.

The pre race foodfight (pasta party) at the Coylumbridge was really the main event. Team Moont threw the first pie.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Can’t believe this fella’s not been mentioned yet. Any ideas people?

Great thread by the way 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shaun Palmer. Came in, won well, then disappeared went back to snowboarding, mainly.

FTFY.

gus
    Free Member

Frischknecht did walk over the line in protest at Strathpeffer, although I think his issue was more about how much of the course was rideable than having to race in the wet and cold, although I recall pictures of Tomac on the bike and him running.

For me Cross country died when a Norwegian rider who’s name I forget complained about the water crossings at Newnham Park, saying Pro’s could catch a cold!

@Teadrinker – thats Rune Høydahl, no idea what he’s up to.

crikey
    Free Member

I did that Strathpeffer Grundig. The lap was about 10 miles, of which 6 was running. The weather was absolutely crap. I had to race the day before to get into the big race, sleep in a transit van then race agin in the same wet kit.

gus
    Free Member

Shaun Palmer raced the Bromont DH world cup in 2009.

DickBarton

Seriously??? It WAS Frischnecht? Oh well, I stand corrected…was convinced it was Strathpeffer though…mainly because the first Grundig I watched the year before (or so) was at Rothiemurchus estate and it spent a lot of time filming Gould and I recall Barrie Clarke going @rse over tit on camera (filmed from the helicopter)…Strathpeffer was where the rider was complaining…whilst everyone else was riding around…actually that might have been over 20 years ago…I’ve wasted so much life!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I rode Høydahl’s team NRS for a while. Loved it so much I bought my own NRS. And gave his back. 🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

I used to love Rune Høydahl, I remember watching the MTB tour of Britian on channel 4 I think it was back in the early nineties. I remember him and Barry Clark racing away – such good times.

firsttothecafe
    Free Member

When I started racing the top junior was a lad called Matt Guy, he never really made it as a senior though. There was another lad called Alan who rode for Specialized as well?

Any ideas what happen to these two?

crazy-legs

Love that second pic posted by konahead ^^. Proper MTB courses in those days. 🙂

Is Mick Ives still winning all the vet races?

Mick still does some road racing and TT’s, he’s held the Vetderans road race title in his age group. I remember when Mick ran MTB training camps in Majorca, there was a sort of unwritten rule that the ride back to base on the final day would gradually wind up and up and end in a mad sprint to the hotel. Mick had (allegedly) never been beaten in this until Rob Lee went on one of the camps and thrashed him. Mick never spoke to Rob again!

pegglet
    Free Member

I finally sold on rune hoydahls old carbon giant frame the other day for £50!….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Did anyone else get their bikes stolen at the Strathpeffer Grundig race?

Overnight some stealthy thieves stole a load of bikes, those that were locked up, they stole parts from. Italspark had his whole front end stolen while he slept in his tent. I forgot to take a lock, but fortuitously stuck my Alves in the front of my pick up.

Crell
    Free Member

Thomas Frischknecht was featured on the coverage of the recent UCI XC world cups. He was managing one of the teams IIRC.

In the early 90’s people didn’t ride with clogs, they used these. Where did I put those spikes?

cragrat73
    Free Member

Nolveen La Caer 😀

pegglet
    Free Member

Crikey,I,v still got those sidi,s somewhere in the loft!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

When I started racing the top junior was a lad called Matt Guy, he never really made it as a senior though. There was another lad called Alan who rode for Specialized as well?

Alan Gunner is the name you’re looking for, don’t know what happened to either of them though.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Rune Høydahl still rides, he rode in the Dalby eliminator a couple of years ago, I think. I also think he still works for Giant but again might be wrong.
    [/quote]There was another lad called Alan who rode for Specialized as well?

Alan Gunner. Edit, beaten to it!
    Andrew Wright was another top Junior, occasionally used to turn up to club rides around Inverness. He also helped me to a second place finish in a handcap crit, letting me sit on his wheel and giving me tips as we went, all the way to the end of the race. He rode for GT and the Trek for awhile, last I knew he was studying to be an accountant but that was along time ago.

amplebrew

firsttothecafe – Member

Didn’t Matt Guy have some connection with Formby Cycle Sports and ride for Trek?

compositepro
    Free Member

What about Missy Giove with the dead piranha she wore around her neck?? Top girl!!

Oh yes busted with 400 lbs of weed too

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-06-17/sports/17925302_1_missy-giove-drug-trafficking-marijuana

drug traficking leads downhill fast the DEA said!!! you couldn’t make it up

RoterStern
    Free Member

Some quick internet snooping reveals that Rune Høydahl has his own mountain bike team clicky

manitou
    Free Member

Lovin this thread!

fasthaggis

Most excellent thread.

Some of those riders were real characters.

Big smile at the ” Is Mick Ives still racing?”

Frischknecht did walk over the line in protest at Strathpeffer,

Well remembered Gus,I did that race and it was grim.
    Running through the knee deep mud just got to old Fishnets.
    That was a fatal error shifting it from Rothiemurchus (which was a great course) ,Grundig never looked at Scotland again as an option.
    Still, I did get to see Jonny T at the Plymouth round,ace.

Big helmetastic
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9z3baFcP9E[/video]

aa
    Free Member

Sue Thomas was in the pits next to me at Enduro 6 a few years back.

Lovely lady, offered me sandwiches! 😀

asc70
    Free Member

i still see quite a few old names about,scott dommett rides pre 65 trials bikes and was up at fort bill last weekend,seen tim davies at an odd trial as well.jough watson works as a rep for cyclesportsgroup and rides for charge doing cx.
    saw hans ray at our local club trial last year still a legend.
    paul hinton seems to float round various trade wholesalers,was at greyville and use.
    martin hawes is doing the ssdt this week and still see longdens,peaty,warner and a few others out at various off road motorbike events.

johnnystorm

@Kerv

@fuzzywuzzy. I crashed at the bomb-hole too, even managed to get on the official video! That was my 3 seconds of fame over and done with

I made it through the bomb hole in ’94 but popped the steerer out of my crown & had a blow out on the next mini-bomb hole! In ’93 I was pictured spectating in the MBUK Bombhole poster!

bigjim

MBUK Bombhole poster

that was on my bedroom wall for years!

asc70
    Free Member

got me thinking now ,few good riders i remember,
    simon kipling rode for diamond back early 90’s
    craig robertson ,think he’s now empire bikes
    gary skelding .
    will cogger.
    glen turner .rode for nisiki and orange,think he got into golf.
    chris poyzer,think he was a carpenter for a while ,family brought in onza bikes.
    still got loads of old programs/results from nemba’s ,grundigs etc.

Leku
    Free Member

Is my old tee shirt still on the wall at Walton Street Cycles, Oxford?

It’s the yellow one I took to the World Camps in Colorado in 1990. Got it signed by Tim Gould, Ned O, John Tomac, Hans Ray and a few others.

Great guys.

chipps

I saw Ruthie Mathes at the Sea Otter last month. She’s still riding bikes and does a lot of junior rider development/coaching I think.

Julie Furtado works at Santa Cruz Bikes

Sian Roberts is opening a B&B near Coed Y Brenin about now I think.

Jamie Hibbard still works at Future Publishing and has just got married.

Ned Overend is still racing bikes. He works for Spesh but he turned up on a $1500 stock 29er at the US nationals last year and came 15th in the pro field. Not bad for a 55 year old…

Mick Ives features in the current issue of Singletrack 🙂

No one’s mentioned Bart Brenjens – he’s still around and now runs the Milka team that Annie Last races for.

Elwyn Roberts – now there’s a name 🙂

swisstim
    Free Member
    franksinatra

I vividly remember watching the BBC coverage of Newnham Park. Quite a few or the riders were mincing down the Pipeline then Tomac arrived flat out, head down, elbows out, got air off the lip, landed about 2/3rds of the way down then hammered out of the bottom. Pure class.

There was a lad racing cyclo cross in the year above me at school. Think he did all right, Roger Hammond…..

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 227 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happpened to Tim Gould?’ is closed to new replies.