Whatever happened to drum solos?

Home Forum Chat Forum Whatever happened to drum solos?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whatever happened to drum solos?
  • Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

And do we miss them?
    No live double album was complete without one.

moniex

Yep! miss them!

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Used to know a guy who lived in the flat below D:Ream. Mr Ream would leave his drum machine on, then go out for the day / weekend / fortnight. Does that count?

I think they went the same way as guitar solos. Don’t mind either but stuff like moby dick are a bit too far for me.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Saw one last night. He was very good!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Aren’t drummers only recruited because they own a van? Not really an ideal qualification to be giving people solo’s is it?

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Self-indulgent twaddle, same as guitar solos.

grum

Aren’t drummers only recruited because they own a van? Not really an ideal qualification to be giving people solo’s is it?

No drummer I’ve ever played in a band with has even had a driving license!

Cool drum solo:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBA4vWQRBA0[/video]

CountZero

I’ve witnessed my share over the years, and the world is truly a better place without them. Bonzo was a fantastic drummer, but Moby Dick live started to get more than a little tedious. The best drum solo I ever saw was The Buzzcocks, at Bath Pavilion, when they played Moving Away From The Pulsebeat, the band left the stage, leaving the drummer playing a relentless driving beat, no frills or fancy runs around the kit, just this rhythm like a fast train for a couple of minutes, then the band came back on and continued the song.
    Brilliant to watch, and it stuck in my memory.

They went the way of the dinosaurs, thankfully. Self indulgent twaddle as mementioned above

shermer75

This got posted the other day:

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-f68J5PPo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmY-f68J5PPo[/video]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happened to drum solos?’ is closed to new replies.