Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Whatever happened to "All Mountain?"
  • iolo
    Free Member

There was a time,not so long ago, when you could buy XC,DH and All Mountain bikes. Where did the Mountain go? There’s no mention anywhere these days. Are they called Enduro now?
    Or is All Mountain Enduro with a triple ring on?

clubber
    Free Member

AM diversified – FR, Enduro, etc

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

XGnar took over.

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Not enough Mountains

scottfitz
    Free Member

I’m retro is still ride AM, 26″ & 9 speed.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Spice things up and ride XC downhill. WTF was an all mountain anyway.?

iolo
    Free Member

It’s a heavy xc bike with bit more travel you could throw around a bit.
    I have an 06 S works Enduro. 26 inch, 9 speed, 27 gear

Rich_s

All the fools who bought into “AM” are now flogging their 29ers pending arrival of their 27andabit ERS.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s not gone anywhere. I’ve still got my turner 6 pack and I still ride it up and down.

discoduck
    Free Member

What Rich said, it went 29er Super Speed ! AM became……….. If you ain’t got big wheels you ain’t tryin hard enuff !

Soon to be replaced with ………….. I’m not putting the wheel size down because it will turn it into another wheel size related debate !
    When really its a bike, plain and simeple a bike !

The only difficult bit is not being green enough to believe what the marketing moguls spin off about Technolgy that’s not caught up or the components sector is letting the wheel size down !

Ooooops I’m off on one, time for me to drive round in my car again with STRAVA activated !

andytherocketeer

Come to Germany.

We have Tour, Marathon, and Marathon Tour too. And mountains. But you probably couldn’t ride all the mountains.

discoduck
    Free Member

Why not are they still littered with our unexploded ordanance ?

jameso

AM = Enduro without the race number on = What we mostly did on bikes anyway since XC-tagged stuff got side-tracked by racing and until someone figured out how to make an XC race format that couldn’t be won by an ex-roadie.

zippykona

I remember getting my first pair of riser bars and becoming a free rider overnight.

discoduck
    Free Member

I thought ENDURO was something you did when you got too old to compete in DH ?

RobHilton
    Free Member

All mountain < Over mountain

Maybe

toppers3933
    Free Member

My understanding was that all mountain was given wider bars and rebranded as enduro.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

AM bike here too. Its great. One bike for everything – XC, DH, Trail Centres, messing around. Pedal up (not to quickly) and ‘send’ it down again trying to get as much air as I dare. Great fun and no faffing around with having loads of bikes cluttering up the garage.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think the marketing people needed a new exciting name for their products so they stopped using all mountain.

jock-muttley

AM hasn’t gone anywhere hasn’t it has just Morphed into Enduro which is no bad thing IMHO…

Who remembers when “All-Mountain” was “Alpine”….???? or should I collect my free bus pass now? 😉

Oh I’m refering to AM/Alpine being 20Kg of 26″ wheeled 6″ travel beastie with 8 on the back and a 22/34 on the front… 😛

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Na all mountain was 26″, 140mm, 30mm rise bars, qr seat clamp. Enduro isn’t all mountain, enduro is only half mountain.

I’m gonna start enduro lite. It’s basically the same as enduro but you wear Lycra.

If there are no takers I could possibly get into some extreme xc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

AM diversified – FR, Enduro, etc

Free Ride’s been arround (and it’s definition debated) since people decided they needed a name for downhill raceing without a stopwatch.

There was an article in MBUK years ago with the founders of DMR (and the whole Upgrade, Decade, Kinesis-UK company) who were trying to argue that dicking about in the wood’s on hardtails was the real ‘freeride’ not the American ‘jumping off cliffs and ladder drops’ freeride.

The worst era was the 200mm travel bikes with 69deg HA’s!

discoduck
    Free Member

Hang on what do you mean 1 Bike

Aren’t we all supposed to have 6 bikes ?

3 single speeds
    2 29ers
    1 hard tail from the 90’s

Is that 6 ?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’ve got an Alpine bike with Freeride wheels, Downhill brakes, Enduro handlebars and XC shifters.

As you can guess, getting ready for a ride requires careful clothing selection.

I think MTB needs some cross fertilisation from snowboarding and surfing advertising, maybe Backcountry Longriding, or Boogie Biking, or Big Mountain Endurance

or maybe we could just call it a mountain bike.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hang on what do you mean 1 Bike

Aren’t we all supposed to have 6 bikes ?

3 single speeds
    2 29ers

Is that 6 ?

Easy get that in one bike

90s HT frame, single speed with a 29er wheel up front.

Sorted! 😉

discoduck
    Free Member

Hmmmmm Monkfinger !

I think I’ve seen you out riding,

Fox DH Pants
    A pink and cerise Lycra Top and black Lycra arm warmers, NO helmet ! Shame on you and SPD Sandals ?

I knew straight away you had put XC shifters on DH bars !

Northwind

“All mountain” never really felt like it had much traction, just a bit silly sounding isn’t it? Especially for the 90% of mountain bikes that never go on a mountain never mind all the mountains. Enduro just feels like a better word.

Sort of like cross country, nobody ever rides them across a country, so to get closer to the real meaning I call mine my lightweight shit at everything bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

all mountain pfft.

it’s all about ‘all road’ now.

LoCo
    Free Member

Was it murda’d out?

discoduck
    Free Member

I thought the ENDURO Term had been robbed from Moto-X and the fact that not everyone could do it so the cop out was to ride ENDURO as it was deemed less Gnaaaarrrrr ? Basically easier ?

And sort of eased the Moto-X riders into retirement ?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick again ?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Shame on you and SPD Sandals ?

Steady on son, SPD sandals are a Touring thing, and I don’t see no stinking pannier rack on my bike!

Guilty as charged on the arm warmers.

richmtb

Well I’ve got a 140mm FS with a dropper so I’m bang on trend for Enduro

Mind you my bars are only 685mm, my HA is about 69 and my wheels are unfashionably small. So I guess I’m actually an unfashionable trail pariah.

The mountain biking equivalent of Bashar Al Assad turning up at the G20 without so much as a Ferrero Roche.

Still at least my stem is slammed

My 6″ + bike has been called an Enduro for years – Spesh decided to call it that

parkesie
    Free Member

I just ride a bike around in circles through mud making noises like an excited school girl. I call it riding a bike 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I ran a Wolf Ridge for three years, complete with a 160mm fork and a chain device. And then I built up a Spesh Camber…

That said, my WR is a lot of fun and an addictive bike to ride when it’s not being too much like hard work.

My Camber is almost as quick downhill and faster everywhere else. I find the riding position more natural too. I think the capabilities of 100-130mm travels bikes have become a whole lot better on the back of the long/low/slack/wide thing not too long ago.

discoduck
    Free Member

Parkessie : I can’t believe for 1 minute that you don’t throw in the occasional brum brum errrrrrrmmmmmm er ermmmm screeeeeeeech !

Meanwhile, somebody from above is busy looking up ENDURO on Wikipedia !
    Oh to find out…….. Oh yeah, that’s very similar ? Bing

Light bulb !

sugdenr
    Free Member

discoduck – Member

3 single speeds
    2 29ers

Keep going disco and by December you will have written the STW alternative xmas song…..

yossarian
    Free Member

anyone remember MBR and their ‘ballsy xc’ niche? 😀

maxtorque

discoduck
    I thought ENDURO was something you did when you got too old to compete in DH ?

I think you mean too “broken” for DH……… 😉

jameso

Sort of like cross country, nobody ever rides them across a country,

Aha. So this is a cross-country bike!

Until I could tag it, I was utterly lost. I had no place in mountain biking and no way to brand myself )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happened to "All Mountain?"’ is closed to new replies.