Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whatever Google did today…
  • welshfarmer

it appears to have made my Adblocker redundant across the board. Time to switch to another browser I guess.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Firefox. They seem to have sorted things out. CPU usage is waaaay down compared to Chrome

doris5000
    welshfarmer

Just spent last 2 hours getting my tabs and passwords into firefox. What a pox!

fooman

Organisation reliant on ad revenue blocks ad blockers? Who’d of thunk it.

Drac

Organisation reliant on ad revenue blocks ad blockers? Who’d of thunk it.

That’s not what they’re doing.

mattyfez

I have to use several browsers at the same time for work purposes.

Firefox is still my personal preference on my home PC.
    Opera on mobile devices.

I don’t get the fascination with chrome. It’s OK for general use but it lacks basic features like deleting cache cookies and history on exit, which is a real security issue. Unless you do it manually and ain’t no one got time for that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Try the new Edge browser. It’s a fork of Chromium. Google bits removed, MS bits added, and in my opinion faster than regular Chrome which is getting bloated.

Or just Chromium.

Assuming this hasn’t been applied to Chromium.

whitestone
    Free Member

As @Drac says it’s not what they are explicitly doing. One of the programming interfaces that lets plug-ins extend Chrome’s functionality allows the plug-in to inspect and modify the data, actually the http headers, passing back and forth between the browser and servers. This is a security risk. Unfortunately it’s also how ad-blockers work. Here’s The Register’s take on it – https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/17/chrome_extensions_security//

So while ad-blockers aren’t being specifically target they are affected by the fall-out.

stuey
    Free Member

Security risks aside – I think I just saw an ad with a “cartoon bear in a bra” ?
    This site is getting too ‘Lings’ – I’m off to another browser…

Drac

I’ve cleaned up this thread as recommending certain browsers bonuses technically breaks the forum rules.

poah
    Free Member

nothing wrong with my chrome browser.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Did I miss something? The only thread that seems to have gone is mine.
    Which rule did I break, I certainly didn’t intend to I just mention the browser I sue is pretty good. (Also not intending to circumvent the rules here, not techie enough to understand the ins and out of browser advantages)
    When I said it works well I was referring to the fact it loads pages quickly etc.

Ho Hum

sparksmcguff

If you’re after a decent feature rich browser Vivaldi from the team that originally created the opera browser is worth a go.
    (Opera incidentally invented tabbed browsing and host of other useful features).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whatever Google did today…’ is closed to new replies.