Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What rim for handbuilt gravel/CX/Paris-Roubaix wheel?
  • 13thfloormonk

Just pipedreaming about building up some new wheels for my Charge Plug in order to jam some gears into the back of the frame (using a Suntour XCD 120mm freehub) and also shed some weight over the stock wheels.

Since it’ll never be a lightweight I figured I could go a bit aero, maybe a H-Plus SL42 or DT511, but then I saw the HED Belgium C2 Plus which is wider and shallower, but more importantly has a Belgian flag detail which I feel justifies the £135 price tag…

Are there any other well regarded slightly aero yet still affordable rim for the amateur wheel-builder?

Ta

schmiken

Ambrosio Nemesis.

Joe

The DTI 511’s really build up pretty heavy, especially in a 32 hole config.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

There are decent Kinlin ones if you want something a lot less than the Hed one, plain black too so you can put whatever sticker you want on with your spare saved 80 quid.

Kinlin linky

mrb123
    Free Member

You could go for some Chinese carbon, for example these from Farsports…
    https://www.wheelsfar.com/700c-carbon-tubeless-disc-brake-rims-30-33-38-43-50-55-60-65-75-88-100.html

13thfloormonk

I like the tradition behind the Ambrosio, but it looks like they’re for tubs only?

Following links on thecycleclinic.co.uk brought me to the Velocity Quill, which is cheaper than the HED Belgium and is 1mm wider internal (21mm vs. 20mm) and 1mm deeper (26mm instead of 25mm) and I think is the widest I’ve seen for a rim brake aluminium road rim…

Pacenti Forza is cheaper and still relatively wide (20mm internal) and the Kinlin 26T is cheaper still but another 1mm narrower internal width (19mm).

All good choices! Just depends how spendy I want to go. I have a strange attachment to my Charge. which is effectively a cheap, garish singlespeed, and feel like if I spent money in the right places I could turn it into something much more versatile… tempting.

Daffy

I’ve got a set of excellent condition Stan’s Grail 28 hole gravel disc rims for sale if you’re interested. £50 posted.

13thfloormonk

Thanks Daffy, I’m looking for rim brake rims and probably not buying till after Christmas, depending on whether I decide to spend £2k on a proper new gravel bike or ~£750 on converting my Charge.

Ta

tthew

Mavic Open Pro are nice rims, and a traditional choice too. Held up well to a long weekend of being smashed over Flandrian cobbles earlier in the year, (best way to ride them = flat out, on the drops) so have that base covered.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All good choices! Just depends how spendy I want to go. I have a strange attachment to my Charge. which is effectively a cheap, garish singlespeed, and feel like if I spent money in the right places I could turn it into something much more versatile… tempting.

My Plug is currently sporting a set of dt r460 rims which are ridiculously good VFM <£30 an end. Getting quite a hammering with lots of local gravel and cx riding at the moment as i no longer have to commute so there’s lots of free time to ride it!

Plan was to build a second front wheel for non dynamo rides hence wanting a cheap rim but CBA taking it on/off and you can’t notice its drag.

dudeofdoom

I’ve got a pair of 650b 45deep Chinese carbon rims about £110 each that I’m going to build up with some Chris kings 🙂

The build quality of the rims is impressive tbh.

TiRed

Open Pros are nice rims, but if you want strong go for CXP33’s. I have a set and they are absolutely bombproof. They’ve already ridden Paris Roubaix, have been the team spare wheels for two seasons of Surrey League pounding, and are just magical. Mine are Dura Ace hubs and Sapim Race spokes. In the US, CXP33’s are the standard Clydesdale rim. For a reason.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I was going to suggest the same as @schmiken based on owning a pair of Ambrosio Nemesis rims laced to Bitex BX106 hubs. I use them for cyclocross as my mud wheels but keep an eye out on case some suitable road tubs come up at a reasonable price. They really are nice rims.

schmiken

I like the tradition behind the Ambrosio, but it looks like they’re for tubs only?

Apologies, I was being facetious as you asked for P-R wheels and they used to be the go-to rims. They are great, but yes, tubular only. Saying that I do use mine as my winter wheels with Vittoria Pave tubulars  on, very good ride quality.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What rim for handbuilt gravel/CX/Paris-Roubaix wheel?’ is closed to new replies.