what you reckon caused this? bike drivetrain damage – twisted link responsible?

Home Forum Bike Forum what you reckon caused this? bike drivetrain damage – twisted link responsible?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what you reckon caused this? bike drivetrain damage – twisted link responsible?
  • snowpaul

Hi all,

kinda funny in a perverse way – so we were out in the peak over xmas riding – I was having the odd bit of chain skipping issues in 32 x 34 – no other gear – rear mech working fine and limits perfect when i had a look – I made the asssumption that the big 34 cog was worn or had a bent tooth and to live with it and to avoid the 34 – chain seemed ok – 3 hrs later on a truely flat bit of trail – with no sticks / rocks / mud the rear mech goes ‘clunk’ and the chain has got wrapped round the 34 and dumped itself partly into the spokes taking the hanger and itself out… I had shifted into the 34 absent midedly waiting for a mate to catch up…

weirdest bike failure in 20 years riding – no stick / rock / cleanish chain… cost me a 2 hour walk / wait for the car….

When at home I found a twisted inner plate which may have caused the chain to snag / jam or it may have been the result of the damage…

New chain and mech / gear hanger fitted – all works perfectly and no damage to the cassette – all i can think of is the chain jammed and hey presto big repair bill…

whatcha reckon – remember orig chain / cassette – not too worn – newish jockey wheels too…

am bored and trying to work it out

paul

cynic-al

Stop limit screw out.

lazybike

chain suck?

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

That was my thought -mech and chain into spokes

nosedive

I’ve had this problem, and I realised, after I destroyed a wheel, that the b limit screw (think that is what it is called, the one that tensions the mech) was screwed too far in. the jockey wheel was too far away from the cassette and the chain jumped around and off the 34t cog.

an expensive lesson for me

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

I did similar years ago – there was a clicking from the chain every time it went over the cassette – 10 mins later all jammed up, mech twisted into the wheel and steel dropout bent round into cassette and thread burst too.

Frame was only a few weeks old, so got a deal on a new one, and got the dropout reshaped by LBS and a new thread installed for single speeding – sold it to peterpoddy, who ran it successfully for a year or so.

Pretty sure it was a loose chainplate

cynic-al

I’ve had this problem, and I realised, after I destroyed a wheel, that the b limit screw (think that is what it is called, the one that tensions the mech) was screwed too far in. the jockey wheel was too far away from the cassette and the chain jumped around and off the 34t cog.

Sorry, you don’t know that caused it.

snowpaul

hi al,

i thought it was the limits but i checked it on the trail by manualy pushing the mech up and and it was fine – plus it hasnt been touched since i last cabled it 2 mths ago and its been up and around snowdon twice and done 12+ days in the lakes since with no bother…

seems a coincidence that it was skipping in that gear only and it caused an issue – reckon it must have been a twisted link from a bad shift earlier in the day and it caused a jam…

cheers

paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what you reckon caused this? bike drivetrain damage – twisted link responsible?’ is closed to new replies.