Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • WHAT YOU READING ?
  • MoreCashThanDash

The Hungry Cyclist by Tom Kevill Davies – really good read, though I usually have no interest in bikes or food…..

algarvebairn
    Free Member

John ofarell. An utterly exasperating history of the last 60 years. Quite an interesting read on politics written in an easy to read style which makes it pretty accessible.

Got a James lee Burke next and then The Road by Cormac Mccarthy n

sc-xc

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy on the recommendation of a mate…very good. Before that it was Billie Morgan by Joolz Denby. Again, super duper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ian banks the algebrist very slowley, started it on holiday that was 7 months ago, dont read when I'm working

AndyP
    Free Member

Training and Racing with a Power Meter: Allen and Coggan. Great stuff.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Waiting on monkeenutz to come along and tell us we're all cretins because we're not reading ancient Sanskrit scripts. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Galactic patrol by E E "Doc" Smith for the umpteenth time. 😳 Its a simple but riproaring yarn

djc1245
    Free Member

American Tabloid by James Elroy…superb.
    Just finished Defense of the Realm about the history of MI5, quite interesting but heavy going in places

theotherjonv

On a Wing and a Prayer: Biography of Steve Coppell by Stuart Roach.

A truly top man by the sounds of it. And I haven't even got to the Reading years yet.

Philby

The Damned United by David Peace – so far much better than the film of the same name.

singlecrack
    Free Member

just about to start 'The man who cycled the world' (Mark Beaumont)

just finished 'The Escape Artist' quite a good book bit short though

AndyP
    Free Member

just finished 'The Escape Artist' quite a good book bit short though
    did you want more details about his wife's chemo or something?

ianpinder
    Free Member

gervaise phinn – head over heals in teh dales, very very very funny

singlecrack
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

Why would you reply with something like that ????? 😕

sorry just found it brief !

AndyP
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

Why would you reply with something like that ?????

because I found it a bizarre statement.

singlecrack
    Free Member

sorry didnt think the book was all about his wifes illness ?

noteeth
    Free Member

Old Mendip by Robin Atthill. My preferred folk-cure for the pain of exile.

mollski
    Free Member

im after a good horror please?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

try Under the dome, the new one by Stephen King.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

currently:
    The Uplift War – David Brin
    The Weirdstone of Brisingamen – Alan Garner
    Broken Rails – Christian Wolmar

sodafarls
    Free Member

Tiziano Terzani- A fortune teller told me.

An account of a year avoiding air travel by a journalist who covered many epochal events of the 20th C. His translator in Cambodia was a focal character in the film "The killing fields". The book is beautifully written, very readable and strangely mind altering if you are open to that sort of thing.

CTML
    Free Member

Choke – Chuck Palahniuk

Edukator
    Free Member

Bike

delusional
    Free Member

Interesting spelling and grammar to start a thread about books with there 😉

Regardless, I'm in the middle of Stand on Zanzibar at the moment. I found the first part of the book quite dull, but now I'm getting deeper in the interest is starting to show. I haven't really seen the brilliance that got it destined for the SF Masterworks series, and earned it so many high praises, yet though.

I think I need to give Blood Meridian another try soon. I started on it a while ago but ran out of steam around half way through, For some reason it didn't grab me at that time, although most of McCarthy's other stuff I've read has been brilliant.

Pickers

Chris Hoys' Autobiography.
    Just got to the bit where he had 15 pastries for breakfast.

noteeth
    Free Member

Bike

I re-read old copies… endlessly.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Blood Meridian's problem is the long sentences that start and keep going and going and when you expect a comma or something to punctuate the unremmitting biblical prophecy spake truely by the Judge you find nothing but ands and ands and then you think it is all over and a new paragraph shall arise surely and lo no paragraph is born and again the ands and ands go on and on and then a scalp is hoist aloft and it is truely a scalp that which a man has bequeathed off from his skull that which did think of nothing but hot sun and thirst and explosive destruction created by man from matches on a barren lump of rock on this earth and man's demonic ingenuity before of which it was taken from that dome.

kennyp
    Free Member

Amongst other things I'm part way through Paris – Roubaix : A Journey Through Hell.

Probably one of the best cycling books I've ever read.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

stuartie_c
    Free Member

sodafarls – Member

Blood Meridian's problem is the long sentences that start and keep going and going and when you expect a comma or something …

Takes a while to tune in but what's not to like?

"It was a lone tree burning on the desert. A heraldic tree that the passing storm had left afire. The solitary pilgrim drawn up before it had traveled far to be here and he knelt in the hot sand and held his numbed hands out while all about in that circle attended companies of lesser auxiliaries routed forth into the inordinate day, small owls that crouched silently and stood from foot to foot and tarantulas and solpugas and vinegarroons and the vicious mygale spiders and beaded lizards with mouths black as a chowdog's, deadly to man, and the little desert basilisks that jet blood from their eyes and the small sandvipers like seemly gods, silent and the same, in Jeda, in Babylon. A constellation of ignited eyes that edged the ring of light all bound in a precarious truce before this torch whose brightness had set back the stars in their sockets."

zaskar
    Free Member

Cycling weekly :O)

RustySpanner

Swallows and Amazons.

Never read it before.
    It's good. 😀

tankslapper
    Free Member

Rusty – Swallows and Amazons are ace as is the rest of Ransome's books!

Certainly put me in the mood to read it again – that said I believe Titty has become politically incorrect as has Roger the dog………

samuri
    Free Member

Books I'm reading in various states of completion….

The first dragon tattoo book thing, it's not as good as people are making out but I'll keep reading it to make sure

Catch 22 – (forth time)

Cryptonomicon – Second time, it's a great book.

On my ipod I'm reading moby dick and the twelveth night, (the latter nly because she's the man was on tv the other night and it arose my interest despite reading it a long time ago.

I have nothing lined up once I've finished these and need to sort out some new books.

RustySpanner

tankslapper – Great isn't it? You mean Roger the ship's boy?
    Definitely not allowed these days!

Love old fashioned kid's books: Used to read Jennings, Bunter, Biggles, Famous Five, Ian Serraillier (The Silver Sword, There's no Escape) and Anne Holm (I am David) all the time as a small kid.

Also re read Erskine Childers' 'Riddle of the Sands' recently for the first time in 30 years, along with H Rider Haggard's 'King Solomons' Mines.'

Second childhood? Bring it on.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Collins Mandarin Phrasebook and Dictionary

and

The Acid House

lyons
    Free Member

Also reading 20 000 leagues under the sea on iphone. Its good, and i reccomend reading the invisible man or war of the worlds which are also on there…

colnagokid

Agreewith Rusty Spanner, Sillver sword. Famous five books are just good books for kids (uncles might quite enjoy them too!

EdwardH

I have just finished Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton, rather long but difficult to put down. On the Origin of Species, by some old dude (a 1930's re-print I found in a second hand book shop), also the greatest show on earth by Richard Dawkins and just to keep me confused at bedtime I am re-reading the Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen. Which is a bit difficult to get into but once going is a bloomin good read and makes one realise how ballsy late 19th century explorers were.

BigSteve
    Free Member

Your Heart is Mine – Dean Koontz

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘WHAT YOU READING ?’ is closed to new replies.