Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • What you reading?

The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul – Douglas Adams. Although I have only just started it.
    Pandora’s Star – Peter F Hamilton. Which I have really enjoyed so far and have almost finished it and looking forward to the next book.

Northwind

The original Flashman, after a recommendation on here. Really enjoying it so far, not the sort of thing I’d usually read so that’s nice too.

codybrennan
    Free Member

“The Vorrh”, Brian Catling. Brilliant.

I think its about a German city, transplanted into Africa, that happens to sit at a gate into the Garden of Eden, with a protagonist who’s fashioned a bow from the spine of his dead lover.

As said, brilliant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    adsbatts89
    Free Member

Towns of Britain – Jones the Planner. Loads of urban planning goodness.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pandora’s Star – Peter F Hamilton. Which I have really enjoyed so far and have almost finished it and looking forward to the next book.

I read the Nights Dawn trilogy which, although slightly cheesy in places was a good read. Shite ending though (IMO)

Might give that series a go…

The original Flashman, after a recommendation on here. Really enjoying it so far, not the sort of thing I’d usually read so that’s nice too.

Did the same recently for the same reason!

vondally
    Free Member

Joe abercrombie…half a king trilogy
    Hemingway’s old man and the sea

Garry_Lager

Just finished Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson and it was disappointing – Big book on Vietnam and the fog of war.

If someone from the rank and file had written it you’d say it was brilliant – some exceptional writing. But Johnson writing blistering prose isn’t news – what we’re waiting for is him stepping it up to the large canvas-masterpiece, as befits his talent. Signs are that this isn’t going to happen – he hung his balls out in tackling such a played out subject, but he’s too much of an artist to get involved with the nuts and bolts artisan-ship of making a big narrative work. Result is a v uneven, creaky book.

Andy_K

Just waiting to start Harvard Press’ biography of Nikola Tesla.

Also, has any read Don Quixote? Readable by a normal human?

EdwardH

I’m just at the end of an Iain M Banks marathon with the Hydrogen Sonata while battling with The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Power, Sex, Suicide by Nick Lane which is about the evolution of Mitochondria.

DezB
    Free Member

Part 2 of the Border Trilogy by McCarthy, “The Crossing”. Incredibly absorbing (so much so that I just told my son the plot as I was putting him to bed!)
    Imagine only reading non-fiction and missing out on stuff like that! Bonkers.

edhornby

Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris, wasn’t sure at first but chapter two and I’m in

also Charly Wegelius’ biog which is good

CraigW
    Free Member

The Book of the Bothy – Phoebe Smith
    Getting some ideas for wee trips away.

righog
    Free Member

Dictator….Robert Harris… Just finished…….I found it very difficult to put. down.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Been reading Pandora’s Star but kind of lost interest . Now on Dusk by Tim Lebbon. Not far enough in to make a judgment but I do like his other Noreela stuff

spacemonkey

The Long Walk – a quite horrific WW2 account of escaping a Gulag by making it from Siberia into Asia.

The Lie Tree – Costa Winning effort from Frances Hardinge. Her work is incredibly inventive, quite literally painting through words.

stewartc
    Free Member

Rereading the Spike Milligan war diaries, usually do this every 2-3 years, currently in Italy.

boltonjon

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Sister lent it to me and thought it might be a bit ‘girly’

Best book i’ve read in months

matt_bl
    Free Member

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson. Ten books in and I still don’t know what’s going to happen. Brilliant writing.

Matt

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just finished Lita Ford: Living Like A Runaway (her autobiography).

You’d think being the story of the former Runaways guitarist and her life in the music scene, it would be mostly name dropping, sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll. Well, it is!

Probably need to read something more intellectual next, but seems to be mainly paint charts at the moment Mrs Feet has dictated a LOT of decorating 😐

nickc

re reading Dreams of Leaving by Rupert Thomson just to see if it’s a good as I remember it.

It is 😀

z1ppy

Did the same recently for the same reason!

[/quote]

Flashy’s? I kinda enjoyed the film, tried three of the book, didn’t enjoy them at all (didn’t get the draw of a cad tbh).. But we’re all different luckily.
    Just finished Jason m. Hough Dire Earth series which I enjoyed & another of Edward w Robertson’s follow up to the breakers series , & now trying out Paul Drakers Pyramid lake.. Seems kinda predictable(ish) but have given up on a lot worse

zigzag69
    Free Member

Just finishing Lanark by Alasdair Gray. Strange, wonderful and sad. And occasionally annoying.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘Tortilla Flat’

Also re-reading ‘Snow Falling On Cedars’

zippykona

The Long Walk – a quite horrific WW2 account of escaping a Gulag by making it from Siberia into Asia.

Good heads up that looks like a corker. That’s now in my holiday pile.
    Mrs Zip wants to know what people are reading that’s like Rory Clemence or CJ Samson? ( both previous recommendations off here)

renton
    Free Member

Vulcan 607

Skunk works by Ben Rich

LA Requiem by Robert Crais.

CountZero

Part 2 of the Border Trilogy by McCarthy, “The Crossing”. Incredibly absorbing (so much so that I just told my son the plot as I was putting him to bed!)
    Imagine only reading non-fiction and missing out on stuff like that! Bonkers.

Cheeky! 😆

CheesybeanZ

Just finished A song of Shadows – John Connolly and will start The Martian tonight .

donks
    Free Member

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. Only just started dabbling with his stuff, and this is a brilliant send up of religion.

It’s got to be about the best of the disc world books.

richmars

Just finished Bruce by Peter Carlin (Springsteen bio).
    Now on the current edition of Granta.

seadog101

War of the Worlds
    The Invisible man
    Bleak House

Just keeping up to date with the modern stuff..

hamishthecat

A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor. The first part of his account of a solo walk through pre-war (1933) Europe starting in Holland and (in the second book) eventually reaching Greece. Beautifully written evocation of a world substantially wiped away in WW2.

He went on to have a leading role with the Greek resistance in occupied Crete during which he captured a German general. An amazing life well lived.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What you reading?’ is closed to new replies.