Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what year Fox float 36 would you buy ??
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

Looking for a newer model to replace my tired 2006 ones. Cant afford the new ones (who on earth can!!) and Im not sure I would anyhow with the new more linear air spring. Whats everyones opinion on the best year to buy in terms of functionality?

chakaping
    Free Member

My 2009 RC2 performed much nicer than my 2011 Float R.

Not had the pleasure of trying the FIT ones.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

2012 supposedly resolved the problem with oil migration, but I’m not sure how true that is.

CTD ones don’t seem to offer a whole lot of improvement and who actually wants a linear air spring; the whole point is it ramps up at the end.

ndthornton
    Free Member

your RC2 is FIT isnt it or do they do open bath ones?

toons
    Free Member

One with a FIT cartridge.

messiah
    Free Member

I’d love to try the Avalanche Racing Fox 36 Open Bath Cartridge Kit

I think it’s 2009/2010 pre turning the FIT upside down when they were as good as they get. After that there is marginal gain (Kashima and inverted FIT are marginal gain I believe… MOJO advised me not to bother upgrading).

ndthornton
    Free Member

Sorry messiah, are you recommending the fit damper or an open bath. I can’t afford any after market stuff, o can barely afford the fork! I agree with upside down fit, marginal increase on unspring mass hardly worth it and my 06 non kashima stanchions are still perfect despite a hammering. I was never overly happy with my 06 fit damper, has there been any improvements for 2010?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by those avalanche dampers as well. bloody pricy though. still cheaper than a new fork though.

op, that might well sort out your need for a more liner air spring as the damping becomes speed sensitive rather than position sensitive then. however, the easiest way to get a more linear air spring is to cut the rod down and make the chamber larger. not tried it on a 36 but it worked a treat on the 32 my wife was riding.

why are you after a more linear spring though? is it because you’re not using all the travel? if you’re on the rc2 cart, that could be down to the boost valve position.

messiah
    Free Member

Sorry if I confused. The 36 lost a chunk of weight with the 2009/2010 version – as I said after that it’s marginal gains. I would try to buy from that age onwards either an R or RC2 and see what YOU think.

Before I bought my 2009/2010 36 RC2 I spoke to Mojo and Stendec. Stendec prefered the open bath as they were more tweakable (by them). Mojo prefered the FIT as they considered it a better system which has more user adjustment. I found the RC2 FIT okay as long as I don’t adjust it too much as it screws things up as the low/high speed interfere with each other too much. Which is why I want to ty the Avalanche.

PS. I also have a Marz 55 RC3 Ti which is a better fork in many ways but is 250g heavier… worth it at the moment but would the Avalanche turn the tables????

legend
    Free Member

worth it at the moment but would the Avalanche turn the tables????

if it helps, Avalanche stuff is very very good! That link to the 36 damper may just have crippled my xmas bank balance

messiah
    Free Member

Sorry legend

I’m very torn myself. I rode with guys in Phoenix last year who swore by Avalanche stuff… their trails are very rough, rocky and long so dampers get a very hard time in the desert heat. Main reason I haven’t bitten yet myself is after breaking my 160mm travel hardtail the 36’s are reduced to 130mm and on am Mmmbop so the wallow issue is greatly reduced. The 55’s are on the big bike where the 36’s used to be… but where they would be with the Avy kit, but I can’t put the 55’s on the mmmbop as they can’t be shortened. Until I find a replacement for the stopgap Mmmbop I’m not going to faff too much with my forks.

PS – I’m tight. My 36 RC2’s were second hand and my 55 RC3 Ti’s were very cheap – I like 1.5″ steerers 😉

ndthornton
    Free Member

Sorry if I was unclear – Im happy with the ramp up and dont want a more linear spring rate- hence not being fussed about buying 2013 forks. Iv seen some mint lookin 2010 RC2s but they are TALAS. Im quite tempted but would not use the talas and was wondering if they make for an inferior fork? Of course I could swap out the spring side internals from my old 06 float if they are compatable??

LoCo
    Free Member

2011 onwards, with an inverted (gen 2) FIT cart.

With Kashima stantions if possible.

messiah
    Free Member

Loco – would that be RLC? Was RC2 available with the Float?

I’d probably go with what loco says though as he knows his onions… but you won’t be getting them cheap 😕

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what year Fox float 36 would you buy ??’ is closed to new replies.