What XC race fork?

• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by  aP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What XC race fork?
  • JustRide

I need a new lightweight XC fork and have narrowed it down to the following.
    Manitou R7 MRD Absolute/TPC
    Rockshox SID Race/team
    Magura Durin SL
    Anyone using one these? Anything else you could recommend.

IA

I like the way my f100s work, not had them long enough to recommend on reliability though.

If I was buying aftermarket, it’d be the SID races everytime.

Reliable/proven damping and seals, and dead easy to service and mantain.

JustRide

Thanks IA, I was leaning towards the Manitous due to their stupidly light weight, but I haven’t heard any user reports on any of the forks just the usual marketing stuff. I will look into the F100’s.

DT Swiss XRC80 and XMC100 are available at http://www.lexs.co.uk for £475 just in case you’re rejecting them on price.

I’ve got the XMC130 and think it’s a great fork. Light and responsive yet stiff.

rob2

I’ve got a 09 SID Race – stiff, light and excellent control and best value for money.

I’ve got mine on a 4″ race full sus.

JustRide

Cheers happysnaps. I had forgot about the previos DT swiss models as the last one I saw was the new carbon one that cost the same as a trip to the moon and back. XMC100 might fit the bill.
    More rider comments needed.

timdrayton

I have the f100 rlcs, they are lovely, worked perfectly, really adjustable.

Also havent had them very long….

JustRide

rob2, why the race over the team?
    I need it to go on a 4″ full sus aswell

fizzer

Sid World Cup here very light and very stiff million miles away from the flexible friend of old.

davefarmer

sid team rather than race.

black box motion control damper gives better performance over the (already good) standard motion control damper in the race over a wider range of bumps.

Rebound control at high speed is really good.

Very smooth and laterally stiff as mentioned above

I’ve got the Durin SL and very impressed. I’ve had Fox and Rock Shox Reba in the past but these new Maguras are pretty special, They’re light and very stiff, also seem to be very plush. I’ve not tried the new Sids though so can’t directly compare the two.

gnarlynath

I’ve had Fox Float 100 RLCs since 2004 and loved them. They are due for a change now & I’m erring towards the newer Fox F100RLCs but quite fancy the Marzocchi Corsa but some reviews are questioning Marz quality. Overall my gut feel is telling me that the Fox brand is plusher & higher quality than any other. But tbh I’m lost and this thread has to point me in a new direction. I’m swayed lightly towards SIDs because I can get a colour other than white but SIDs in my mind say “not as plush as Marz or Fox”.
    Realistically I’d like to try ’em all before I bought. Are the new SIDs as plush as the Fox?
    I’m 90kg & ride hard, long and often.

Eldrik

Check out the new Marzocchi warranty approach for 2009 if you’re wavering.

I can’t find the link but believe the 2009 forks have a 3 year warranty from Windwave….

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’ve got Pace RC39s in 80mm which is the same as the DT one, and it’s fantastic to be honest. Firm, which is what you want in an 80mm fork – doesn’t bottom out unless you really really slam it and it’s actually good for 95mm travel. And it’s really plush, which is a little strange since my RC41s aren’t that plush. But that’s another story for another thread – I think I know why.

JustRide

This is great that everyone thinks that their fork is really good. So I doubt that I could buy a bad one. I am going to have to research a bit for the best price to help decide.

Bream

I asked the same question a couple of weeks back and decided in the end to go with a pair of 09 Team SIDs, extremely happy with them on my Giant Anthem Advanced.

rob2

Justride – I went for the race purely based on cost. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the forks mentioned to be honest.

JustRide

rob2, i agree, every fork mentioned has been in a positive light and I like your idea of the race instead of team although davefarmer does think the team is worth the extra dosh. Oh the dilemma..

aP

I had 2007 Corsa SL WC and could never get them set up properly, and in the end went for new SIDS which have been much, much easier to get right.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What XC race fork?’ is closed to new replies.