Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 204 total)
  • what would you vote most important computer game in the history of gaming?
  • Cougar

Sensible soccer !!!! then SWOS… playing that against mates in tournaments for hours and hours…

If you’re claiming Sensi, the groundbreaking title there is Kick Off.

Cougar

(I walked down the aisle to Aerith’s theme)

I can see why he married you. That’s brilliant.

(Wasn’t it “Aeris”?)

WackoAK
    Free Member

the groundbreaking title there is Kick Off.

I forgot all about Kick-Off! Although Sensible Soccer was better..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Doom was THE turning point in my book.

For multiplayer FPS yes. But that’s only one style of game.

Did no-one mention Tetris?

redthunder
    Free Member

Kick Off 2 then Goal!

Dino Dini from Bristol I think.

D0NK

(Wasn’t it “Aeris”?)

interchangeable I think presumably mis/phonetic translation type thing. IIRC it was called aeriths theme on the OST CDs, not that I’m am ff7 nerd or owt

pypdjl
    Free Member

It’s a slightly new genre of game and one which I quite like

It’s a stretch to call a linear FPS even a slightly new genre. In any case the thread is about the most important computer game in history, not games molgrips quite likes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t nominate Half Life 🙂

Mooly
    Free Member

I have no idea about the most important game but I don`t think you can beat Mario kart.
    My uni days were largely spent on this and Super tennis – Amy was awesome. Of course there were the odd marathon sessions of bomber man as well. (4 player of course).
    3 years of education for £20 from cash converters. Legendary.
    Now we have a Wii and I simply cant get over how good Mario Galaxy is. What a game!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I can see why he married you. That’s brilliant.
    (Wasn’t it “Aeris”?)

She was called Aeris in the English translation of FFVII, but Aerith in Kingdom Hearts and later games.
    He wasn’t actually sure about my choice of music – we compromised. I got to walk down the aisle to that, he got to name the reception tables after famous dogs.

Cougar

She was called Aeris in the English translation of FFVII, but Aerith in Kingdom Hearts and later games.

Aaah! I Did Not Know That.

I got to walk down the aisle to that, he got to name the reception tables after famous dogs.

I can see why he married you. The reverse I’m less sure about. (-:

Flaperon

How can anyone here NOT have said Deus Ex? Legendary game.

skids
    Free Member

The first one

redthunder
    Free Member

DandY

redthunder
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYJutiJuqo[/video]

Amiga version was slightly better IMO.

Now, where is that emulator ?:-)

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Elite for me, I still have my Elite pinbadge that you got if you sent your cassette back to the publishers once you got to elite status on the game.

redthunder
    Free Member

MrSynthpop

Braben’s pet 😉

maccruiskeen

To my mind (as someone who isn’t really a gamer) an important game is Turbo Esprit. Sort of by accident. Up til then games played like arcade games and had the same time pressure / stay alive or go back to the beginning (put another 10p in) format. In other words you had to be winning to continue playing. In Turbo Esprit if it was all going wrong, even if you ignored the goal of the game the game carried on running and you could just play – explore the game world, dick about, slalom between the lampposts, mow down pedestrians, cause pile ups. Before then hitting a ped would be game over, go back to the start, but with that game you had the first element of go anywhere, do anything that you now have in games like GTA

phead
    Free Member

Not quake, but quakeworld, the addon that made it multiplayer.

There were a few lan games before that but QW changed everything and put games on the internet.

Kuco

Battle cars
    Jet Pac
    Elite
    Gunship 2000
    F19/F117
    Loved Gaunlet

First online multiplayer game I played Delta Force, spent way to many hours playing that all on 56k 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I couldn’t see what the fuss was about with Kick Off/KO2.

I did once play a full length 90 minute game though just for a laugh. My god, that was awful. Ended up losing something like 89-3, I wasn’t very good at it.

redthunder
    Free Member

Carmaggedon

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Have to be another vote for Doom and Quake here, or rather Quakeworld. I spent waaay too much time playing Quakeworld, competitively, in the late 90s 😳

I still play Quake Live now and have a bash on Doom 2 now and again.

RustySpanner

Mario 64.

Proof that free-roaming 3D could actually work properly and provide wonderful gameplay.

Everything since owes a huge debt to this.

scotsman
    Free Member

Crysis series, and the one where you kept hearing the little girls voice whispering “help me” used to put the fear of god into me when playing in the dark!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

ATM and for a no of decades, Max Payne and the Punisher.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Descent.

yunki
    Free Member

manic miner

spacemonkey

the one where you kept hearing the little girls voice whispering “help me”

Silent Hill?

D0NK

Silent Hill?

not SH1, is it F.E.A.R.? Never played it but seem to recall something about a girl and it being scary

RE scared me but SH freaked me out big time, never played that in the dark.

druidh
    Free Member

Proper 3D freedom of movement and the possibility(likelihood) of completely losing yourself. Descent was also the first computer game I played against a mate over a modem connection 🙂

spacemonkey

RE scared me but SH freaked me out big time, never played that in the dark.

IMO RE got you all kind of jumpy whereas SH messed with your head and made you want to finish that last can (of Stella) and go to bed with the lights on.

druidh
    Free Member

Half Life might not have been a technical move forward but it had more atmosphere than anything I’d played previously. The section where Freeman is climbing the outside of the Mesa was realistic enough that I had nightmares about slipping off to my death!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Half-life. I love that game, everything was just right for its time, the graphics and animation were spot on, the character design was different Freeman being a scientist not a macho hero, multiplayer was great I loved the ‘crossfire’ map and the sounds were good, even on the menu the sound effects were good clicking from menu to menu. Superb game I spent hours enjoying. I used to lead scientists to their deaths, that was funny edging someone down a lift shaft. Really great for its time and hugely influential in the ‘playable tutorial’ aspect. It had time scale too the story went from morning to night then day again.

But as said before no doom/quake no half life, so its gotta be one of those two. Half-Life was the perfect evolution of what they started.

Great thread again race face

stewartc
    Free Member

As lots of others have said, Doom. although I have a soft spot for Conflict: Desert Strom, the first game I ever bothered to finish.

spacemonkey

HL just didn’t do it for me despite all the hype etc. HL 2 on the other hand was proper bo; the expansive (albeit linear) world, the moody Combine, the awesome next-gen physics, the myriad ways in which you could confront/escape situations … friggin’ awesome.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

In the F1 genre, for me it has to be GP2 by Geoff Crammond.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Back in the day…

DOOM – a leap forward and a bridge to the modern equivalents
    Gauntlet – I still quote “Warrior needs food badly” when hungry

spacemonkey

In the F1 genre, for me it has to be Pitstop 2 on the C64 (as a successor to Atari’s early 80’s classic Pitstop).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD7rB7FPepA[/video]

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Frogger, I’m showing my age right?

Game

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘what would you vote most important computer game in the history of gaming?’ is closed to new replies.