Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • What would you look for in a mountain bike cafe?
  • LongboardSi
    Free Member

So, if you were setting up a café catering predominantly for cyclists but also other general public users, parents/families etc, what would you look for?

My number one request is hot drinks available in pint mugs…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good quality hot drinks. Yes offer coffee/tea in a pint mug but also a proper latte etc. (from a proper machine with a proper barista not a button press instant copy version) and some quality tea rather than a cheap tea bag.

Good fresh made cake and biscuits/flapjack

A good burger and bacon sandwich

Most of all ingredients that are tasty not the cheap sausage/bacon etc. fresh ingredients sourced locally and well put together, it doesn’t need to be fancy but it should be good

jekkyl

. a rack outside with quality locks hanging round it, unlocked and ready to use.
    . comfortable seats. (leather? easy to clean of mud)
    . reasonably priced fare, not 4 quid for a coffee!
    . free to use quality tools (track pump, hex keys, pliers etc)
    . next to a scenic waterfall or mountain with big windows to look out of. 😛

onandon
    Free Member

Outside tap with fresh water so I can fill my bottle, clean my hands, arms ,face etc.
    Also good for people with dogs.

Couldn’t give a crap what they sell as I’ll eat or drink anything after a big session. I also don’t care about price as it’s a convenience but I won’t stop if I’m a minging mud and sweat covered man-beast.

A selection of take out mid ride snacks are also handy. Not chocolate bars but trail mix, jelly beans, haribo etc

JackHammer

Minimal draughts/drafts however it’s spelled.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Maximum draughts…..and a good selection of bottled beer too 😀

Drac

Cake.

ferrals
    Free Member

A pile of mtb and other magazines in a corner for customers to read if on own. A few healthy and high protein options food wise. Dancing bears.

km79
    Free Member

No roadies!

martinhutch

Wipe down seats! So I don’t feel guilty about the general filth I drag in.

Water bottle refilling facilities. Bike rack in view.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can only repeat what mikewsmith says. Those are the places I deliberately include in a ride

LongboardSi
    Free Member

Cheesy Chips

Big Ketchup/mayo/salad cream/chilli Sauce bottles – not little plastic sachets

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Everything Mike says, and a buxom wench serving…

chakaping
    Free Member

Cake.

+1

In big portions and good quality.

Not all of us want burgers or bacon sandwiches, I’d prefer a hearty soup a nice panini or omelette.

Hot choc is another must have for me.

cokie

I think Mud Dock and Soho Bikesare rather good at blending a bike shop with Joe public cafe.

Mud Dock separates them and they are probably run as separate establishments, but it works seamlessly. Soho bike is more half bike shop, half coffee shop. Given the space, Soho has done really well.

I think they succeed because:
    – Nice cycling staff
    – Lovely kit on display
    – Quality food and drink
    – MTBS & Road Bikes
    – Involvement/support of local community/cycling scene

But they both lack:
    – Secure bike racks with locks
    – Dedicated tools for customers to use (take a deposit, etc.)
    – Outdoor seating
    – Mud friendly (doesn’t really apply to those two as their in cities).
    – Have some big screens playing cycling related things- DH/XC streaming, TdF, films (Soho does do some deputes films).

Possible nice to haves:
    – Discount/free drinks or food for customers of the cycling shop
    – Discount for club riders
    – Local ride map wall, or possibly a tablet/computer that you can download GXP files from onto the Garmin.
    – Demo/rental of bikes/gear (inc. ShockWIz, Garmin, GoPro)

My LBS (Banjo Cycles & Chapeau Coffee and Cake) does a nice blend, but it’s squarely aimed at cyclist and don’t think Joe public would ever wonder in for the cake. They do some nice coffee and cake, but no hearty meals, and the bike shop is great with lovely staff.

I guess it’s a difficult blend, but maybe a hybrid between all of the above 😆 .

poah
    Free Member

cheap

kayla1
    Free Member

We’ll make a good cafe a destination for a ride out, so decent hot drinks and a nice selection of good food. Nothing fancy or hand-curated by some **** with a beard or whatever, just good quality. Sausage with actual meat in, for example, or a smashing bacon and cheese burger. Bean chili is good on toast as a mid- or post-ride face stuffer – it’s cheap to make and difficult to get wrong! Blimey, I’m starving…

LeeW

Just somewhere that welcomes people with a load of mud up their arse.

Easiest thing would be to use those plastic chair covers you get on your car seat after it’s been serviced. when you’re done you whip it off and bin it.

Quality food is a must, but most of the cyclists I know are tighter than a Duck’s whiffy hole when it comes to buying food.

Patience, plenty of patience.

thenorthwind

Agree with most of what others have said, but would emphasise…

Good cheap simple filling food: beans on toast, chip butty, eggs on toast, pancakes, cheesy chips… basically anything involving toast or chips, preferably both.

I spent way too long reading an old copy of Singletrack and eating chips in this place after a ride on Sunday: http://www.pedallingsquarescafe.com/menu.html

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not all of us want burgers or bacon sandwiches, I’d prefer a hearty soup a nice panini or omelette.

Exactly – The Flock inn in Borrowdale does cumbrian rarebit, it’s bloody awesome.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

A really cliquey atmosphere

jekkyl

you answering your own question thread Longboard Si?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Racks, locks, tools, a few simple get your home spares (tubes, couple of tyre options, cables etc), indoor and outdoor seating area, outdoor covered would be perfect. Takeaway cake option, energy gels/powerbar type stuff.

Everything else is just about running a decent cafe, good food, friendly, efficient staff, priced appropriate the the area. I really wouldn’t care if the cafe was themed if I was out and about and wanted to stop it’s the food and facilities that would make it a preferred stop.

hammerite
    Free Member

Quick service, especially when a group of 20 walk in. Quick-ish turnaround on any food that has to be made. Stopping for 30-45 mins mid ride is fine, sweaty bikers don’t want to be sat in their cooling moistness for much longer than that!

chakaping
    Free Member

Locks are a good shout but ideally I like to be able to see my bike, can’t relax otherwise.

jkomo

Forget fancy coffee that takes 5 minutes a cup.
    Do a massive vat of really good filter coffee- 1.50 or 2.00 for a big mug. You’d make more money and have a fast turn around.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The old Woodbine in Hope was about spot on for me. Nothing ****, but decent sized portions, good puds (Yorkshire Curd tart. nomnomnom) and an open fire in winter. Sure, Judith was an acquired taste (my other half got on really well with her which helped), the coffee could have been a lot better, and there was a weird refusal to do custard, which would have been a perfect finish to the YCT. It was a bit expensive, but I did walk away feeling full afterwards.

The “old” Glentress Café/shed (Hub?) and the original Glyncorrwyg setup both had it all pretty right too.

As well as a lot of the stuff posted above – prompt service – the “new” Woodbine aka Grasshopper Café falls foul of this – if I order a coffee, I get a very nice one, but I feel like I could nip over to Fairholmes and back between ordering it and getting it. Also – don’t stop doing “breakfast” items (ie bacon butties) after 11.00. That’s a sin to end all sins!

finbar
    Free Member

High protein, low carb options (way easier than it sounds – omelettes with choice of ingredients e.g. spinach, peppers, chorizo, tuna etc.).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jkomo – Member
    Forget fancy coffee that takes 5 minutes a cup.
    Do a massive vat of really good filter coffee- 1.50 or 2.00 for a big mug. You’d make more money and have a fast turn around.

Except for people who don’t want that 😉 Don’t exclude people a good barista on a machine can put that stuff out at a decent rate – they manage quite well in morning rushes in plenty of places.

smell_it
    Free Member

A proper greasy spoon, run by old woman who look hard and understand food should be piping hot and plentiful. A place where the spoon stand’s up in your tea, and the staff have a polite disinterest in whatever you have been doing before you go in.

Ideally this will be next door to a destination cafe with proper coffee from whatever proper coffee comes from, and people can talk about this at great length. A place well stocked in lifestyle magazines, and free wifi. It should have locally sourced ingredients and a range of fancy cake at a price to satisfy their market.

Then everyone can be happy.

benp1

It’s fairly clear that people want different things.

In the most case it’ll get used if it has a good location with the most basic of facilities as mentioned above. Fancy ingredients and coffee would help if there is local competition or you want to make it an actual destination

martinhutch

Comically surly proprietor is a plus point, obviously. Extra marks for passive-aggressive or sarcastic signage.

Bloke who used to run Grindleford Cafe was a case in point.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Make sure it is sunny outside.

allfankledup

Petes Eats…. welcomes all, loads of space, great facilities etc. huge tasty food portions, and somewhere to hide from the weather

always interesting to sit there and watch the other punters…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bloke who used to run Grindleford Cafe was a case in point.

A place that in the end I only visited if there was truly nothing else open… a true homage to bad old days where you thought that almost everything you could have done better yourself.

seosamh77
    Free Member

LongboardSi – Member
    My number one request is hot drinks available in pint mugs…

Cold lager in pint tumblers. Who doesn’t want a pint after a run?

cuyahoga
    Free Member

a) somebody who knows how to run a cafe and use their staff to effectively churn through customers at peak time – you have to be either damn good or the only option if you think a queue out of the door is acceptable
    b) somebody who knows how to design a cafe layout to support a)
    c) separation of taking the order/money and fulfilling the order
    d) food being served to the table MUST arrive whilst there’s still at least half a mug of tea left

If you want an example of how to fail on all four, go to Gisburn Forest at the weekend …

edlong
    Free Member

Easiest thing would be to use those plastic chair covers you get on your car seat after it’s been serviced. when you’re done you whip it off and bin it.

This would peeve me – there are plenty of wipe clean options that don’t require a big piece of plastic to go to landfill for every customer. And they’d look really shit too.

My solution would probably have a “dirty side” for the muddy bikers, with a hoseable floor and suitable seating (wood, plastic, leather would all work) and maybe a carpets and softer furnishings side for the families and non-bike types.

prawny

A covered outside area for bikers and bikes, maybe with some kind of planet friendly heating in the winter?

Cakes. Pre made sarnies.

I’d be happy enough if hot food was limited to toasting the pre made sarnies (a la Costa) and maybe a bit vat of hearty soup.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also adding proper bread – not sliced white or brown. One that was made by a baker that day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What would you look for in a mountain bike cafe?’ is closed to new replies.