• This topic has 45 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What would you like to see in the mag this winter?
  • zippykona

I’d like a mud special.
    They could put a cross bike,fat bike,e bike and regular mtb with mud tyres on a very muddy circuit and see who wins.
    There would also be a which bike clears the 100 foot bog test.
    Then riders in white overalls doing a mudguard test to see who says cleanest.

bearnecessities

One of these stuck on the front, just once.

Pleeease.

matt_outandabout

I would like a picture of a buff, two stone less, adonis of a figure me on a bike, making a suicide no-handed drop in the sunset on a fully loaded bike packing bike.

Or was that me dreaming?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hipflask shootout

Group ride, everyone has a hipflask (larger the better), but each filled with a different spirit. Every mile, you take a sip

Along the ride there are a series of challenges. The ability (or not) to complete the tasks is noted and results compared to give an ‘ideal’ ride tipple

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Was hoping they’d pick up where playboy left off.

wwaswas

Dust.

I like to see dust in the magazine when all I can ride in is mud and gloop.

bearnecessities

Playboy bunnyhops?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Not too much CX please.

matt_outandabout

A guide to appropriate bike colour ways.

Aimed at middle OAB’s choice of mango handlebar with bright blue grips and pedals, mounted on a black frame. 😯

jekkyl

How about a regular feature, giving the ‘best’ ride from each county? there are 86 in the whole of the UK. I know it’s supposed to be aspirational but I’ll get the time or the money to take a biking holiday in any of the places they feature.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a shoe-dryer test.

or, one of the journo-minions tries to nurse a drivetrain through a full winter (all 18months of it), without being sent a free 1×12 setup every fortnight.

i jest of course, but can’t help feeling that there’s *something* there…

RustySpanner

Readers caff rides.

The rules:
    Ride to a caff – write about it.

Tell us why you chose the caff/ride combo?

Good caff, bad caff, nostalgic caff?

Does a good ride justify a bad caff & vice versa?
    How much can you eat & still ride home?

RustySpanner

DP, sorry.

benji
    Free Member

The technology behind the latest steel tubes, including stuff like 953.

colin9

I’m with Jekkyl here. I tend to scan over the articles on rides in places around the world I’ll never visit, whereas I find UK based riding features very interesting.

jam-bo

Didn’t MBUK try that with Kelly Salone back in the day.

matt_outandabout

Coastal rides.
    Family friendly rides – couple of differing ages.
    Clothes and kit that is designed as multisport use.
    Toe heaters 🙂

dknwhy

I’d like them to see a reader given a bike, kit and challenges/events/trips for a year so we can have a reader perspective living the dream journo life.

SaxonRider

Some good ideas, here. I like the idea of the OP’s ‘mud special’, as well as the ‘best ride in each country’ suggestion.

jekkyl

that was *county as in the United Kingdom saxondude or did you just mistype? 🙂

Wookster

I’d like a feature, along the lines of that dknwhy!

Take a normal person, and see what a winter of skills and riding training, bike set up stuff can do kind of thing?

Like a lard arse to Seat Peat series!!! 😆

Oh..by the way here I am!! 😉

enfht
    Free Member

A tour of Wan Chai titty bars

garage-dweller

Pair of nice new 120mm tapered steerer 29r forks? Free for subscribers. 😛

onandon
    Free Member

Night riding etiquette – now not to be a cock to your fello night riders when using a bar and hear light brighter than a collapsing star.

weeksy

Videos… not sure how, but that would be COOL !

dknwhy

@weeksy – with the mag app, you get videos already as part of bike reviews…..

tim2106

+1 for Jekkyl’s idea

dragon
    Free Member

A wider spectrum of what mtbing is, rather than what niche is trendy. A look at where Endruro is country came from and is going.

The technology behind the latest steel tubes, including stuff like 953.

Apparently Reynolds 953 is UNS S45500 and 931 is UNS S17400, so fill your boots Googling them.

BadlyWiredDog

A group test of bolts.

jam-bo

an article on trail etiquette for dealing with slower riders?

vmgscot

Unlike Jekkyl..I want to see those International Travel articles. It was one such article in the mag about Moab that inspired me to get off my arse and make it happen this year. Now need an article on great riding locations in BC (non-Whistler) please.

Dave
    Free Member

It was one such article in the mag about Moab that inspired me to get off my arse and make it happen this year. – Nice on. Ta!

lunge

I’m a kit geek so I would happily throw away all the travel articles (bar any in the Midlands) and just read about bike set ups, new kit, old kit, niche kit, basically tech stuff.

I’d like to see stuff on the kind of riding I do, though I accept a “how can you get through Netherton tunnel without crapping yourself” type article will have limited interest.

Basically, I want a magazine for me. The challenge will be that by it being for me, no-one else would want to read it.

wwaswas

an article on trail etiquette for dealing with slower riders?

I can do gormless mincing if they’re looking for photo models.

matt_outandabout

Chamomile tea review.

postierich
    Free Member

No cx please more bike packing equipment tests on british designed products

nemesis
    Free Member

I liked the OP’s suggestion.

I’d also quite like ST mag to do some slightly more leftfield things – eg build up two bikes at the same price one with a posh frame and basic components, the other with posh components and a basic frame. Ride and compare.

Or go trail centre riding on a really cheap bike – not deliberately the worst you can find but rather the best you can find at say £150 and see how it copes. Might be food for thought though maybe not something advertisers would like…

Or get some elite athletes from another sport and get them to have a go mtbing (maybe with prior coaching from Jedi, etc) and see how they get on

And a chamomile team review would be great too 😉

SaxonRider

It would be cool to have a ‘reader profile’ piece. Where a reader is selected to be featured, and we get a glimpse at what and how s/he rides; what inspires him/her… those kinds of things.

I was just up in the Northwest last week, and got to ride routes that some of you cover all the time. How cool would it have been had I actually seen an article with some pictures of one of you covering these trails and roads before I got up there? I think I would not have put it off for so long had I have had some introduction to the trails from the point of view of a rider like me, as opposed to one by a journo who gets paid to ride (with no offence to journos intended!).

garlic
    Free Member

More CX, more drop bar off-road bikes.

jobro
    Free Member

European locations. Background, where to stay, how to get there, best trails etc etc.

Did Dave ever do a Dolomites article?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What would you like to see in the mag this winter?’ is closed to new replies.