Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What would you do?
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I received a parcel the other day which was signed for.
    I did not buy this item.
    I have not been charged for this on any cards.
    There is no invoice in the package so know way of knowing who sent it.
    The item is a BNIB 256gb iPhone 8 plus.
    The only thing I have is the address of the logistics company.

What should I do?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Who was it addressed to ?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Contact the logistics company, there should be a parcel ID somewhere on it (barcode etc) they’ll be able to track the sender from that.

Keeping it won’t work, as eventually the IMEI will be blocked.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Who was it addressed to ?

Me. At my home address.

tjagain

cloned card scam gone wrong?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d want to know who sent me that and whu. Although I don’t know if the courier company would be able to give you any info, data protection and all that.

perchypanther
    Free Member
    weeksy

I’d sell it.

legend
    Free Member

johndoh
    Free Member

Very odd that it was addressed to you at your address.

Cougar

Unsolicited goods innit……

Arguably. It’s not “unsolicited goods” if it was sent to you by mistake.

Contact the logistics company, tell them they have 14 days to recover the package otherwise you will dispose of it. That should cover your back legally.

Jakester
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Unsolicited goods innit……

But if it’s addressed to him, it would be.

Have you checked with your network provider it’s not an upgrade?

DickBarton

Did you sign for it?

the-muffin-man

What would you do?

Contact the courier.

Cougar

But if it’s addressed to him, it would be.

If it’s addressed to him intentionally then it’s unsolicited goods.

If it’s addressed to him by mistake then it is not.

Chances of someone thinking “that scholarsgate is a fine, upstanding member of society, I think I’ll send them a new iPhone”? Nil. It’s a mistake. Ergo it’s not unsolicited goods.

The whole point of the unsolicited goods legislation is to protect consumers from companies sending out an iPhone on spec and then two weeks later sending an invoice for £800 because you haven’t returned it. It’s not so that you can get free shit.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hence why I provided a link which explains just that and advice on what to do about it 😉

tjagain

I would email the logistics company telling them it had been delivered to me and asking them to collect it. One email. One chance for them to sort it.

funkmasterp

Turn it on. I reckon somebody will call straight away and set you off on some sort of epic quest. Regular updates please

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Did you sign for it?

My wife signed for it.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Turn it on.

It’s brand new unopened.

701arvn
    Free Member

Do the right thing, send it back.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

It’s not an upgrade as I buy my phones out right and have sim only contracts.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Do the right thing, send it back.

to who?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

forgot to say there was a vodaphone sim in the package.

lowey

I’d be watching my bank account and CC statement VERY carefully over the next few weeks.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

to who?

Basically, to the courier company, it’s their problem (they’ll have to deal with the eventual insurance claim for a lost phone).

cloned card scam gone wrong?

Could be, i had a couple of thousand spirited out of my account a few years ago in a cloned card scam.

I never even knew about it until the bank sent me a letter with the details, and a new card.

They had even refunded one or two of the legitimate payments i’d made.

fadda

Contact Vodafone, since it’s their SIM…

matt_outandabout

scholarsgate – Member

Did you sign for it?

My wife signed for it bought it and is trying to hide her ‘mistake’.
    [/quote]

FTFY

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you or wife order any items that didn’t arrive recently? Picking error at warehouse?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Did you or wife order any items that didn’t arrive recently? Picking error at warehouse?

Nope

stevied
    Free Member

Had a calling card from Royal Mail a while ago. Went to collect the parcel (neither me nor the wife had ordered anything) and, upon opening, found it contained £27,000 worth of Troll Beads. They were meant to go to a shop but there was a mix up with the addresses.
    We contacted the company who arranged collection and gave the wife a £200 bracelet as a ‘thank you’ for our honesty.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Just phoned the logistics company who gave me the number for vodaphone who said drop it into a vodaphone shop.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

We contacted the company who arranged collection and gave the wife a £200 bracelet as a ‘thank you’ for our honesty.

Not sure vodaphone are going to be that generous…

Gary_M
    Free Member

forgot to say there was a vodaphone sim in the package.

And is your current sim only ‘contract’ with vodafone?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just phoned the logistics company who gave me the number for vodaphone who said drop it into a vodaphone shop.

The logistics company sent it to you. You have informed them, I would be doing nothing else after that !

Let the logistics company come and pick it up from your house at a time convenient to you

scholarsgate
    Free Member

And is your current sim only ‘contract’ with vodafone?

No. Never had anything to do with vodaphone

Gary_M
    Free Member

This does sound pretty dodgy.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

The only thing I can think is it’s come from Carphone Warehouse via vodaphone as I have been a customer of CPW in the past.

dooosuk
    Free Member

forgot to say there was a Vodaphone sim in the package.

I moved house before Christmas. Within a month of moving I had a £68 direct debit set up on my account with Vodafone. I queried it and was told it was a payment for an iPhone 8. The DD took two weeks to show on my account (first payment) from when it was set up. The phone had been posted to my old address.

Keep an eye on all your accounts.

edlong
    Free Member

If a new Vodafone account has been created, with an iPhone sent out, in your name, and you know nothing about it, I can’t think of a single explanation for that that doesn’t involve identity theft.

How it’s ended up with you might have a few reasons – they tried to get it sent elsewhere but the provider reverted to delivering to the billing address on a new account, or a “test” purchase to see if those details were right / sufficient to pass checks / ensuring you’ve got good enough credit (before moving onto something “bigger” like a car, a personal loan or even a property scam), but that isn’t important – what is important is that someone other than you knows enough about you to be able to navigate from “Hi, my name’s scholarsgate” to “here’s your expensive new contract iPhone Mr scholarsgate” and you should be very worried about this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.