• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What would you do – 2 companies 2 different packages?
  • Sui
    Free Member

Completely first world issue, and to cap it it really does put me in a good position.

A bit of background. About 3 years ago i left a company to work for a competitor, a new start up company, it was more money and it was always the right thing to do. I was pivotal to its [current] success and my previous employers drop in sales and margin. The reason I left was due to a lot of restrictions placed on me, money (as above) and some “incompatibility” with some of the board members.

The new company whilst it was the right move, has caused me nothing but headaches. i can and do understand and empathise with enterprise start-ups, but the general attitude and moral in the workplace is dire. There have been a number of other resignations of the “good” people, those that can think for themselves, entrepreneurs, initiative thinkers and I am again left with working with people out of the depth acting as the fall back guy. To add, the personality of the owners is incredibly counterproductive, and there have on more than 1 occasion been shouty matches and exceptionally un-professional comments. To compound this I challenged my pay on a number of occasions, the last one ending in “if you want more money go elsewhere”

Now, my previous company have gone through some changes, new board members, bigger company, new challenges etc -they’ve been after me again! More money is on the table, better resources, better people, professional atmosphere, healthcare – generally a better package than I am on now.

So, I thought it was an easy decision, hand my notice in, and figure out what the notice period could be agreed on. No. An unexpected, what seems, sincere effort to keep me on board. This includes a pay rise that would almost double my current one and be approx. 20% more than the new (old) place is offering. They have also said they will try and address the poor morale… However, despite this being the forst time they’ve actually been sincere (well the Investor – also one of the directors, at least) I have my doubts whether change is really possible.

So, move on or stay. Got to be honest is money worth un-happiness, if so what’s the price… Got to think of the family..

ta all.

grum
    Free Member

No money is worth unhappiness, obviously.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Stay

Demand more if you haven’t already

And you can always move at a later date if it doesn’t work out

5thElefant
    Free Member

Unhappiness is a state of mind. Your mind. Take the money and be happy.

Sui
    Free Member

Ro5ey the thought had crossed my mind, but then the offer to move may then go, forcing me on the hunt to find a job in a niche industry that isn’t recruiting.

Trekster

grum – Member
    No money is worth unhappiness, obviously.

+1

My workplace is in the process of employing some middle management to help effect change for similar reasons for you wanting to leave. We all predict a riot!!! These guys have no idea what they are letting themselves in for 🙄 Years of internal promotions have destroyed the place, bosses surrounding themselves with yes men who are all talk and no action imo…….I`m just a lowly shop floor worker btw

My son has just gone back to his old job(ish)in similar circumstances, partners falling out, ill health etc. He has been given a blank sheet to improve all aspects of his and the departments outlook. 1 person has already jumped ship, not happy at having to or not willing to adopt change!

leaving, gaining a degree and other skills and seeing what goes on elsewhere has given him a different outlook on how things can be done.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Ro5ey the thought had crossed my mind, but then the offer to move may then go, forcing me on the hunt to find a job in a niche industry that isn’t recruiting.

Well you know more about that niche market than I … but if you are that much in demand now… will you not be in future?

If your not … oh well, you’ll be stuck in a very well paid job… alot of people wouldn’t mind that at all!!

Sui
    Free Member

Ro5ey, i know – i’m certainly not going down the little violine route here, i’m exceptionaly lucky to be in this position.

WRG to would i be needed in the future, well it depends if the company decides to take a punt traingin somone into role, which at the moment they don’t.

stumpy01

So you’re getting more money whether you stay or go and from the sounds of it, it won’t be a small amount more either way (just that one will be more than the other).

Bearing that in mind I’d forget the money (as it’s just a question of whether you’ll be better off than you are now OR even more better off than you are now) and concentrate on which one is the best decision from a happiness/job fulfilment/commute/working hours/overall package type view.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve made your own luck …. milk it either way.. (without being too greedy 😀 )

FuzzyWuzzy

Move, if it’s takes you actually having another job offer for them to start listening to you then it’s not a healthy place to be. Only reason I’d stay is if I didn’t trust the offer from your previous place either…

Nobby

I’d move, but that’s based on the fact that I’d be asking my current employer why I’m suddenly worth double what I was before I resigned. Whatever the answer, I’d still have been ‘underpaid’ for a considerable time.

The environment you describe would simply underline that it’s the right thing to do – my late grandfather always told me that in your working life you need to keep an eye on what he called “the income to arse-ache ratio”. If the latter outweighs the former you’re in the wrong job. I think he was right.

bellefied
    Free Member

there is an old adage – never go back – and I believe that. People may change, but culture seldom does.

Whenever I’ve made a decision to go, I go, because the reasons for leaving are never about the money, its about a new challenge or a lack of challenge in the current role.

I have moved even if its for less pay as if I’m successful at what I do, I know the money will follow, and it always does.

So when I read your OP it seems to me that despite your assertions that its all about the job, it seems to you that its more about the money, otherwise you wouldn’t a) go back to your old job and b) consider staying just for a pay rise.

So my advice to you is to stay, otherwise if you go you will not be satisfied with your new pay, regardless of the job.

ianv
    Free Member

I would go. A business that has lost its good people and is prepared to double the salary of someone to keep them sounds like a business that’s grasping at straws and wont be around too long. Also, improved morale isn’t really something that that can be conjured out of thin air.

A better work environment is worth a fair bit of money IMO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Take the money (and presumably associated responsibility), use it to buff up your CV and then apply to a 3rd company if it doesn’t work out? Or at least the original company is likley to stil be there if the current one doesn’t work out, whereas the current one might not be!

tthew

For me ianv has hit it on the head. Move back to the origianl company, you’re still getting a 30% pay rise if my maths are correct.

“the income to arse-ache ratio”

😆

Permission to use that next time I have to refer to cost/benefit balance where I work.

Sui
    Free Member

Anyone for an update… no..

the income to arse-ache ratio

this has now been put to good use – i will let you know on Monday.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What would you do – 2 companies 2 different packages?’ is closed to new replies.