Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What would you be like, if you didn't have cycling
  • el_boufador

…or I guess any of the things it had led you to?

Found myself pondering this, this evening with the house to myself. There are so many fantastic things I would never have done or seen if it wasn’t for mtbing and that would have made me sad.

I’d be a right miserable twunt.

garage-dweller

For several years in a not so happy previous relationship where I rode/did things for my own enjoyment very little I found this to be the case…

I’d be a right miserable twunt.

After a summer off the bike with some family stuff and an injured shoulder I’d have to add unfit and slightly heavier.

scotroutes

The same.

I’d just spend the time doing something else. Probably a lot more running and paddling.

northshoreniall

Dead, as my wife would have murdered me for being even more miserable than normal 🙂

weeksy

about the size of a house !

Or bloody good on a Concept 2 rowing machine…

Not having cycling now, sheesh, it would be hard… it saves my sanity.

ebennett

Injured. Or fat. I’d definitely be doing some other form of regular exercise so probably running (which I don’t really enjoy) or football. Given that I used to pick up minor injuries regularly playing footie when I was <30 I’m guessing they’d be a lot more frequent now I’m closer to 40!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Still have a handicap of 5
    Be a better runner and swimmer – both have been downgraded since stopping tris
    Have worse knees from running too much

Rorschach
    Free Member

Considerably richer

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

I thought the same if I didn’t have climbing but after my accident every time I went to the crag my wife would be a bag of nerves waiting for the phone call again that I’d took another bad fall , so no climbing led me to MTB ,if I couldn’t cycle then I think I’d go back to paddling ,(not enough time and money to do both)

BadlyWiredDog

Probably a runner. And injured. But there’d be more space in the cellar.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Id probably have a NASA spec PC and weigh as much as a shuttle!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Very unwell.

I was 20st, at the cusp / start of type 2 diabeties, drinking too and much and taking drugs, all caused by depression I didn’t know I had.

I’m now marginally fitter, don’t drink, don’t take drugs, still get depressed now and again. Picked up a few injuries along the way though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fine, I’d sail or surf or run…oh I do those too..

So, fine.

And be the same weight too.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Probably one of those old guys on a squash court with a bandage around each knee & elbow,headband, walking stick in one hand ..racket in the other ..never moving from the T and giving an absolute lesson to any unsuspecting victims.
    I played every night but gave it up when the knees became a problem at 39 years old and havent played since.I took up mountain biking instead ..
    Twenty one years later and I’m still out there twice a week ( at least)..it keeps me sane ..just shoot me when I’m no longer able ..(but there is still the ebike route to go yet ! :lol:)..

oldnpastit

At least 2 stone, maybe 3 stone heavier.

And everything that goes with that.

lunge

This probably, though i’m close to this anyway.

Probably a runner. And injured. But there’d be more space in the cellar.

I’d do something, cycling is great, running is pretty good too, if not, walking, swimming, maybe still playing football, who knows. I love cycling but there are plenty of other things to fill the void if it wasn’t an option. And given I tend to cycling solo then I’d not lose the social side as I don’t have one anyway.

joemmo
    Free Member

Probably a little better off financially. Having said that, I’d probably be doing something else that mixed exertion with buying gadgets so maybe not.

scaled
    Free Member

I’d probably be a miserable commuter.

I only really started cycling to get to work (on a scott genius with nobbly tyres no less). I thought i was well ‘ard cycling 6 miles 😀

prawny

I knew me when I was married and not cycling, I was about 17 stone and very wheezy. I’d be like that again.

Or dead.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Rich.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

this:

mcnultycop

I’d be much stronger.

I enjoy cycling, but training powerlifting appears to actually be better for me. However as I enjoy cycling and it conflicts with training powerlifting too much I tend to stick to, mainly, cycling nowadays.

maccruiskeen

Slightly better off, but probably not so that I’d notice, and with more room in the shed and the bottom drawer.

mildbore

I’d be into outdoors stuff, camping, hillwalking etc including owning a road/touring bike. None of this gives me the same buzz as a mountain bike ride in a mountainous area does, so I wouldn’t feel the same passion but my interests would be in this general area

jonba
    Free Member

Might still paddle white water kayaks but more likely got into sea kayaking as it is more convenient (there’s always water in the sea). Got into biking because rivers run low and rainfall doesn’t always coincide with free time – wan’t an issue at uni but was when i had a job.

Might also have bought a horse… My wife returned from her ride yesterday to decalre that I will have one on loan in spring when her riding partner is away for a month!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve had an odd relationship with cycling most of my life, owning at least one at all times for at least the last ~37 years. But it was usually simply a mode of transport, rather than cycling for exercise and fitness.

I had times when bikes gathered dust, because I opted to drive commute instead, or used the bus after my cycle commute rta at Xmas 2013. Because I had let all other sports go over the years since ~1998, bar a brief spell in 2004 where I used the Quays gym, I put on a fair bit of weight from ~72Kg to as high as ~95Kg at one point and become incredibly unfit.

But I changed things around in small steps in summer 2016, reducing my food intake and dropping to ~80Kg by January. I then gradually increased my cycling for fitness from 5 hilly miles to as much as an unplanned 85 miler last month.

These days I love hitting the cat4s and the two cat3s on the South Downs this side of Petersfield, or very recently doing ~2000+ feet of hill reps for fun around Witts Hill.

It’s given me a reason to go out when not at work, the endorphin buzz is great, as is feeling the forest I’ve been for over 20 years. But when I don’t cycle, my mood drops within days!

willard

A good question. I think I would spend more time in the gym than I do now, but it’s pretty much my go-to for reduced impact cardio, so I maybe see an increase in my kayaking…

I’d still prefer to have cycling in my life, even if it was a weekend’s pootle.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What would you be like, if you didn't have cycling’ is closed to new replies.