• This topic has 56 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What would the discerning STW'er wear to a wedding in Rome?
  • franksinatra

I’m been on the forum for years and suspect that this, more so than any other thread I have started, is a wide open invite for a piss take. But here goes.

Usually when I go to weddings I dust off the suit, iron a shirt and polish my shoes, jobs a good’un.

Problem is that at the end of April I’m off to Rome for a wedding. A relatively informal affair but in one of the most stylish cities in the world. I therefore feel obliged to make an effort. So what would you wear?

Hopefully, amongst the inevitable replies of mankini, safari suit, onsie and birthday suit there may be some sensible replies.

Ta

footflaps

A nice linen suit?

peterfile
    Free Member

🙁

mogrim

Italian men are very stylish in a massively boring kind of way – think sharp suits, lots of labels, and a complete lack of imagination.

theotherjonv

Linen suit, open neck shirt, stylish loafers, no socks, raybans. Slicked back hair.

Or; embrace your englishness and go dressed as an englishman (I’m assuming you’re not a Scot otherwise I’d assume you’d wear a skirt)

Yak

Its going to be hot, so:

Yak

or the heritage look… 😉

Houns

Nothing wrong with Italian style!! Boring?! FFs!

I wish British people could be 1/10 as stylish as Italians.

As above, nice linen suit, crisp white shirt, good shoes and a good pair of sunnies

Hobster
    Free Member

Has to be a toga

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AohA367VVk[/video]

franksinatra

Slicked back hair.

and there is the first problem (baldy)

Or; embrace your englishness and go dressed as an englishman (I’m assuming you’re not a Scot otherwise I’d assume you’d wear a skirt)

Englishman abroad in Scotland. By embracing englishness are you suggesting I go dressed as a morris dancer or football hooligan?

theflatboy
    Free Member

You’ll have to wait until the discerning STWer logs on for the response to this… could be a while, he’s not on much.

IHN

are you suggesting I go dressed as a morris dancer

Well, I wasn’t going to, but I am now.

franksinatra

You’ll have to wait until the discerning STWer logs on for the response to this… could be a while, he’s not on much.

Are you talking about simonfbarnes?

franksinatra

Yak. I am strangly tempted by your suggestion, just for the hell of it.

Yak

Might work… probably depends on how tidy your legs look.

fasthaggis

totalshell

has to be a toga.. hopefully doesnt turn out like the wedding scene in Caligula.. esp for the groom.

binners

Linen suits are all well and good in theory. In practice, ten minutes after you’ve put it on, you’ll look like you slept in it. After half an hour, it’ll look like somebody else slept in it. Possibly a tramp

Instead, take the words of those sages of style ZZ Top. Apparently every girl’s crazy ’bout a sharp dressed man….

franksinatra

Might work… probably depends on how tidy your legs look

I could combine your suggestion with the ‘englishness’ one, get some tattoos of Bulldogs, Roses and football club crests on my lower legs. My legs would then look awsumsz under the Roman skirt thing. I would be multi cultural.

mogrim

Nothing wrong with Italian style!! Boring?! FFs!

I wish British people could be 1/10 as stylish as Italians.

As above, nice linen suit, crisp white shirt, good shoes and a good pair of sunnies

Which is what I was basically saying – nothing wrong with that, but it’s hardly the most imaginative of looks.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Italians will outdo you on style unless you play the classic British MasterCard – the full morning suit.

Yak

positively cosmopolitan indeed!

franksinatra

Not trying to outdo the italians, I accept that by even trying I would look like a t*t. Just trying to keep up…

geoffj

Digraced cruise captain look ftw

or any scottish ancestry?

edhornby

get there a good few days before the wedding and buy an outfit in italy – the mens clothing choice in italy is way bigger than in the UK. Especially the sunglasses, occhiali are way cheaper there

take your own shoes though, you’ll be wearing them all day so not the best time for breaking in new ones

rome in april will be nice but not boiling hot, a suit will be fine as long as it’s not a thick woollen job (if you have a nice one that you like)

binners

Never mind the Italians, you need to be thinking Australian….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do it properly.

Morning suit.

But for God’s sake, no tie pin!

tomhoward

Whatever the Romans do/wear?

wwaswas

Is that princey/future king bloke wearing slip on shoes? Loafers even?

The royal family have gone very downhill.

[edit] CFH – did you change your picture

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It was a ninja edit, yes. I noted the appalling footwear and shoddy weskit, and found something better. Alas, that had a tie pin in it. Still, nobody’s perfect. Apparently.

andyrm
    Free Member

2 piece suit, black, slim fit. Go for a brighter lining.

White open collar shirt.

Sharp black shoes.

Clean, classic but contemporary style.

Stand out by not standing out and all that………

simon_g

Won’t be that hot in Rome in April – low to mid teens most likely.

Nothing wrong with a properly fitting suit and a decent shirt and shoes.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I went to a wedding in Cambridge last summer and a couple in the States (Colorado and Florida).
    Didn’t want to take the kilt as it’d be too hot and too bulky for travelling.

Ended up going for some light Dockers khakis, a blue shirt, blue topsider boat shoes or some pointy brogues, blue ribbon belt, no tie, a panama hat, ray-bans and a ridiculous boater jacket (though that was me not being entirely serious)

I am aware I’ve set myself up for some pisstaking here!

wwaswas

I am aware I’ve set myself up for some pisstaking here!

I think we’ll struggle to add anything, tbh 😉

geoffj

Those pictures are crying out for a Jamie edit.

franksinatra

yourguitarhero, wow. just wow. I really don’t know what to say. um…

iolo
    Free Member

I find the italians appreciate a borat style mankini in their weddings.

franksinatra

I find the italians appreciate a borat style mankini in their weddings.

I’m sure that is true but wedding etiquette dictates that no guest must outshine the bride, therefore it is not an option for me.

fasthaggis

yourguitarhero

Sir,well done for posting those snaps.
    You have no fear. 😉

scuttler

April so plenty of time to get a beards-and-axes beard on.

“Getcher beard-on, getcher beard-on, getcher getcher getcher getcher getcher beard-on”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What would the discerning STW'er wear to a wedding in Rome?’ is closed to new replies.