Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • What would spend the £500 on?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Every Brit ‘should get £500 each to help kickstart UK economy’

If you were given £500 by the government to help kick start the economy, what would you spend it on? Ignore any potential rules about having to spend it in Wetherspoons to aid the leisure industry, go mad, spend it how you see fit.

I’d be treating myself to a Dometic fridge to go in my van I think. Or maybe a Minirig stereo speaker and sub set up https://minirigs.co.uk/speakers/bundles

doris5000

Could be tempted by a digital drum kit. Or maybe some more music tech gear.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Deposit on a leased Skoda Superb for my brother in law.

anagallis_arvensis

New bike #manmaths

Cougar

I’d put it down as the deposit on a lease car, I’d just need to find the VAT first.

Cougar

DAMN YOU, PERCHY!!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cocaine

perchypanther
    Free Member

DAMN YOU, PERCHY!!

My work here is done.

johndoh
    Free Member

Meat. Lots of tasty meat from our local independent deli/butchers. I might even manage to get enough for the whole family with £500.

ThePinkster

Not enough for decent coke & hookers, so maybe put it towards some new forks that I couldn’t otherwise afford/justify.

alpin
    Free Member

At op

Dometic CD30 Drawer fridge is good… Got one in my van. Think I paid 450€ for it.

If the UK gov have me, 500£ I’d put it into euros…

The German gov gave me just shy of 5k€ to spend on my business. Thanks muchly.

Have a nice new Makita saw with stand, an array of new blades for the Festool, a new 18v Makita drill, a Bosch multitool and a Bullitt cargo bike…. 😁

ThePinkster

….or….
    <creep mode> spend it all on frivolous goodies in the Singletrack shop. Always fancied one of their hipflasks & flask racks. would looks great on my Frontier </Creep mode>

🙂 🙂 🙂

tjagain

C&H – plenty for a cheapskate old man like me

joepud
    Free Member

already spent it… in my brain any way either some trp dhr’s or a new shock with a piggy back for the big bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Those le crusette life changing pots and pans from Friday nights thread…….

Or more likely down the builders merchants on supplies for the extension

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

If the UK gov have me, 

Except its not really the government’s money, its ours.

We as a nation have to pay the **** back.

derek_starship
    Free Member

An excellent condition used Marantz KI Signature amplifier to complement my CD player of the same family / vintage.

And a bottle of Grey Goose.

Theoretical only. I would of course put it towards Ted’s eye operation.

lunge

I’ll be supporting the UK’s hospitality industry. So either a lot of beer in the local, or more likely some of a rather expensive Michelin starred meal.

yosemitepaul

Seriously, I’d spend it locally, in a small family run business, buying something that was manufactured in the UK.
    I seriously doubt that we’ll get the £500, its bait for the Daily Fail readers, but if we did, then I strongly believe we should support the U.K. economy.

jekkyl

Yes. If it happens they should specify local shops if you can, national shops if not and banned from spending them in Amazon.
    A local butcher would get mine and we’d fill the chest freezer.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d replace my NAS with a new more powerful one. Considering doing it anyway, just reluctance to spend out stopping me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you can only use one voucher on at item, new forks for the bike. If the wife and I can double up, we’ll put it towards an American style fridge freezer.

stevextc
    Free Member

Fix the leaking roof…. or a new bucket and some forks.

avdave2

I’d put it towards getting my garage rebuilt and extended using a local builder. Seems to me it should be spent where most of the money goes back into this countries economy rather than something manufactured elsewhere which won’t see as much of it recycled within the UK economy. I realise  that sellers and distributors will still get a cut but a high proportion of that money will be exported.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Razzle and a six pack.

Every month. For years.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

C&H – plenty for a cheapskate old man like me

Cardigans and Hush Puppies?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

This would be a most fortuitous occurrence. I received a bonus at work which allowed me to initiate the purchase of a Wattbike. Whilst waiting a new version came out which was £300 more expensive,though if I signed up for the new one I’d get £150 off, that week I won £155 on the lottery. Now if I was to get £500 I’d have bought the bike for heehaw.

Mind you I’m still waiting for the £50 bike service voucher so I’ll no haud ma breath.

zippykona

XT 12 speed set up and the rest on a gps.

pipm1
    Free Member

Some Eurozone excluding-UK shares. 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Cocaine

Just a hunch, but I’m guessing your local dealer isn’t VAT registered, and therefore the govt wouldn’t be able to claim it back, therefore they aren’t likely to support this purchase I’m afraid… 🤔

I’m actually genuinely stumped as to what I’d spend it on right now! Possibly a new motorbike helmet, but really can’t think of much more that I want that is around £500… Everything else is much cheaper (in which case I’ve mostly already bought it), or a hell of a lot more expensive!

dyna-ti

By sheer coincidence my sister found £1100 in an old account and apparently im on to £500 of it.
    No idea why, but that apparently 1/2 mine. Women and their financial footerings 😕

I’m actually thinking of putting it towards one of them Ebike things. Bit of a clearout of the hope stuff and everything else i can sell 😆

Just the confusion of which, what, what wheel size, which company, which forum to best get advice from, what battery, one or two, dear lord theres a choice of motors. touring, shopping, mtb, a combo, or…. heavens quite a subject.

So my 500 will be used in Ebike purchase 😀

bearnecessities

A wildlife camera, a new TV and a new radio. Things I’d like, but can’t justify.

Or blow the lot on a fancy toaster.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The government was also talking about a £6k scrappage scheme for BEV buyers but that never happened either.

tthew

banned from spending them in Amazon.

I think the idea was to ban spending it online at all.

Maybe towards a hand-built frame that I’ve been thinking about for a while.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve lost loads of weight and my job so currently don’t have any clothes that fit properly and no money to buy new ones.

So, new clothes mostly – hopefully good quality ones from independent places.
    Also William Lennon safety boots for when I get working again.
    Then spend the rest in local restaurants I like.

lister

I reckon the LBS would see a lot of it. Wheels and some new brakes would be nice.

And the butchers. And local chilli farm. And wood burning stove fitter. And stove shop…

Can I have £5k please?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Just a hunch, but I’m guessing your local dealer isn’t VAT registered, and therefore the govt wouldn’t be able to claim it back, therefore they aren’t likely to support this purchase I’m afraid… 🤔

I’m actually genuinely stumped as to what I’d spend it on right now! Possibly a new motorbike helmet

I’m pretty sure a helmet would be VAT free.

fathomer

Don’t know, maybe a few nights in a nice B&B somewhere once we’re out of lockdown. Can’t see the government giving us all £500 though!

matt_outandabout

Can I pay down the mortgage?

If not, I’m needing a new canoe…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What would spend the £500 on?’ is closed to new replies.