• This topic has 102 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by edd.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • What would be your 'perfect' job
  • McHamish
    Free Member

I want a job that involves norks

A friend of my wife’s went for a bra fitting in some independant shop and the lady just weighed her ‘norks’ in the palm of each hand and told her the bra size…now that’s a job.

donsimon
    Free Member

Always wanted to be an architect, worked with and designed a few air con systems in the past and thoroughly enjoyed that, designing a building must be ace.
    Current work is fine, the crisis no, but the work is fine when there is some!

Now I think about it, something with norks has potential.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

binners – nipple tweaker?

I used to be motorbike courier in London. Near perfect, but short term.
    Spiderman would be good.

richmars

Someone who works on Radio 4’s Test Match Special. Just follow the sun all year watching cricket

freeridenick
    Free Member

Backcountry touring ski/snowboard guide in British Columbia.
    Maybe a Heliski guide for CMH. although guiding overwright Texans down blue runs might become slightly tedious..

ourmaninthenorth

Journalist or writer.

If the legal game goes **** up, then I’ll probably suck **** for pocket change behind the bus shelter, TBH.

petey_pants
    Free Member

Having my own newspaper

cudubh

Definitely have my own deli. The trick would be not to eat all the food and drink the wine.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Wow! page 2 an no-one has suggested ‘blow’.

Edric64
    Free Member

suck **** for pocket change behind the bus shelter,

You can’t hide behind the ones I clean they are all glass

qwerty
    Free Member

carpet taster! – but in reality a small bike shop with an attatched bakers and coffee/tea/juice/ milkshake bar, probably situated on Torcross with some custom cut singletrack winding its way along the coastline

Olly
    Free Member

having read “how to fly a harrier”: Harrier Pilot.

i wonder if i can buy one second hand as a “weekend” vehicle.

noteeth
    Free Member

When I have bad day at work… I quite fancy being a librarian.

On a good day, I wouldn’t do anything else.

Wouldn’t mind being Sandra Bullock’s personal butler, though.

imnotverygood

How about STW forum dispute arbitrator. Whatever I decided would be right.

GJP
    Free Member

I met a guy at wedding once who designed women’s lingerie for a living. He seemed happier than most 😆

Bimbler
    Free Member

Junior School teacher.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I like the job I do, just cannot abide the woman who does the same job and considers herself 2senior” to me, despite working part time & term time only – work out for yourselves who does most of the work!

I’d like to carry on in the job I do now, but loose my work partner somewhere along the way.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I’ve been in the army , was mountain guide and ski guide been a climbing instructor , worked in a few Irish bars , then been an antenna rigger and now a firefighter and they’ve all been pretty cool jobs in their own way so can’t complain 😉

McHamish
    Free Member

I think some people are very lucky if they end up doing the job that they were meant to do…I mean a top violinist is obviously meant to play a violin for a living, and a top chef is meant to cook stuff.

I don’t think I was meant to sit at a desk and send emails all day.

A friend of mine is a carpenter…he goes to work every day and makes stuff out of wood, then he goes home and makes more stuff out of wood in the evenings and at weekends. He loves his job.

I wish I knew what I was meant to do.

TonyL
    Free Member

Motorbike courier done that !
    Living in a commune in south of Spain done that!
    Forest conservation project in Botswana done that!
    Safari Camp Manager/Guide in the Okavango done that!
    Countryside Ranger done that!
    Mountain Bike trail building doing that at the moment!

All good but the grass is always greener!
    Can’t hink what to do next now though.

freeridenick
    Free Member

firestarter – so are you UIAGM mountain guide?

firestarter
    Free Member

Freeridenick no I was employed on the back of my army training courses

DavidB
    Free Member

I’d like to travel the UK for a year writing a book about cycling..oh wait..I’m doing that next year 😉

superdan

I would like to be the “Avalanche Technician” who sets off the charges in Chamonix to keep the risk down.

Flying around in Helicopters, blowing s**t up! Yeah!

brooess
    Free Member

McHamish +1

I envy people like musicians, writers, artists, sportspeople, coaches – something which is so ‘them’ that it’s what they do to earn a living rather than a job that they do because they need money.
    Something true to yourself and that you properly believe in, and work with other people who are equally in to what they do…

Sawyer
    Free Member

Film director probably.

Someone good like Gilliam or Matthew Vaughn rather than McG or Michael Bay though.

delusional
    Free Member

I think I’ve pretty much got it.

Working for a bike industry tech startup, in a technical role. So I get to play with cool new technology and cool new bikes & gear, travel around to loads of big bike events, do the occasional review or article and all with a view of the North Shore mountains from my office.

Plus beer in the fridge. Can’t forget that.

I’ve been a bike guide, it was cool but not something I’d want to do longterm.

julianwilson
    Free Member

-There was someone on here a while back who used to build clunker bikes with asylum seekers in Bristol. If I could live financially comfortably (and not in Bristol!) and ride a lot I would love to do that.

-Or i would like to get paid a nice wage for singing in a big choir. Despite my rather ahem, ‘colourful’ studenthood, I managed to do this for a bit when I was at university and it was loooovley.

chewkw
    Free Member

Run my own factory producing widgets …

CaptJon
    Free Member

It appears people want to do their hobby as a job, or just want to spend more time doing their hobbies.

iDave will be along shortly to tell you to stop dreaming and do something about. I knew what I wanted to do in the final year of university, it took 5 years hard work to get qualified/experienced and a year doing a dogsbody job, but the job I’m in is better than I could have imagined it would be. Well worth the wait and effort. University lecturer btw.

_tom_
    Free Member

Some kind of editing or motion graphics position with a good TV series/film production company.

hh45
    Free Member

this topic crops up alot and my theory is that jobs that sound crap are actually pretty good and vice versa. For me being a MTB guide would be terrible, going to the airport every week, fixing lazy sods’ bikes, having to ride slowly for some fat git, etc etc. Riding with a bunch of guests is hardly like riding with your mates is it?

Being an accountant say sounds boring but you earn loads (so you can afford to go skiing and riding and live in a house and own a decent bike or five etc), the job is transportable all over the world. So its all spreadsheets and email and conference calls and some of your colleagues are quite dull but not every courier / guide / musician etc is the life and soul.

I’m not an accountant BTW but I think the argument holds true.

_tom_
    Free Member

I work with some accountants. Their lives and work seem very very dull..

I couldn’t do a job I don’t enjoy unless I knew it was only a stopgap for something else. Spend far too much time working to sit there looking at spreadsheets and other boring crap all day!

iDave
    Free Member

CaptJon – your dream job is to be my spokesman and I claim my £5 😉

perfect job in my mind, is not to have a job, but a scalable income and lots of little periods of ‘retirement’

HB47

make outdoor movies = MTB and Climbing ( may be some Base Jumping on Thursdaysc)

brad0612
    Free Member

I’d like to be Bear Grylls, being a hard man where-ever the producers take him.

Or Charlie Boorman, doing stuff on motorcycles for Unicef.

Either that or car designing. In California. 8)

backhander
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

I’d like to be a novelist. I’ve tried it though and it’s really hard. My head’s always been jam packed full of story ideas but as soon as I try and get them down on paper I just go blank. I’m fine with the high level concept stage, it’s the detail that hits me.

I also like the romantic side of being a courier but the crap money, danger of death and general crap conditions put me off.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What I do now really, but more of it, and more money! 😀

I enjoy being creative. I like making stuff that other people enjoy. I’d like more people to enjoy what I do.

I’d like to be able to interact with more people on a daily basis though, I spose.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d like to be able to interact with more people on a daily basis though, I spose.

Meeting clients is the worst part about doing creative stuff, because they hardly ever seem to have a **** clue – I hate it 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What would be your 'perfect' job’ is closed to new replies.