Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What would be a Fox fork upgrade over a Pike RCT3?
  • stu1972
    Free Member

Due to the overwhelming variants of Fox forks and being a long time Rockshox user, I have no idea what I’m looking  for.

what would be considered a good replacement / upgrade over the RCT3 (with Luftkappe)?

Intended usage is natural Lakes stuff / Trail and my current Pikes are 150mm on a Tranny Scout.

Cheers

drovercycles
    Free Member

The Pike RCT3 is a good fork and I think at that level, personal preference comes into it to a very great degree.  Is there anything specific you feel could be improved, performance-wise, for your riding?  I’d start with that question.

In terms of spec though the only Fox forks which would objectively be “better” than an RCT3 Pike would be the Factory Series.  You’re probably looking at a 36 I’d have thought, if you don’t want to sacrifice stiffness compared with the Pike.  Whether you prefer the FIT HSC or FIT4 damper is down to you, really.

I’d also have a look at MRP if I were in your shoes.

poah
    Free Member

what does the pike not do for you?

tdog
    Free Member

Same Q as poah

stu1972
    Free Member

It’s merely a case of transplanting the Pikes onto a Patrol so I’m in the market for another set of forks. It’s not that they are not doing it for me, it’s just me keeping my options open.

I really wanted MRP Ramp control on the 150 Pikes but that’s not going to happen with a luftkappe installed so it started making me think of other brand “tunable” forks out there.

poah
    Free Member

why do you want the ramp control?  are you bottoming out.

I went from pikes & luftkappe to a mattock pro2 with IRT.

tdog
    Free Member

DVO option?

joebristol

Does it have to be fox? If you want something beefier / longer travel for the Patrol then that makes a bit more sense I guess. Both the Lyrik rct3 and Fox 36 factory are getting good reviews at the moment. On the stw reviews page there is a head to head between them – conclusion was the Lyrik is plusher and equally stiff and has plenty of adjustment. The fox was less plush, equally stiff and had more adjustment – both low and high speed compression. Comment was it sat higher in its travel thanthe Lyrik. One reviewer went with the lyriks as best and the other the 36’s.

russyh
    Free Member

I have just upgraded to 36 Factory forks.  Noticed the extra stiffness (and weight) over my pikes.  They sit higher in their travel which I prefer and have the correct amount of dials to keep a tweaked like me happy.  That said a luftkappe fitted pike was a damn good fork and my buddy loves his lyrik

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What would be a Fox fork upgrade over a Pike RCT3?’ is closed to new replies.