Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What would Andy Goldsworthy do?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

The final instalment.

Until the come back shed.

I’ve still got a few loads to decant from the shed of eternal dampness, but for the time being, thats all folks.

Goes off to order the new funky stove and buries fantasies of 110s.

Harry_the_Spider

Ever thought of building a train set?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvK410_WIo[/video]

honeybadgerx

You just need to take a photo of it in each season now

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ever thought of building a train set?

Sounds right up my street.

headfirst
    Free Member

Bejaysus mcmoonter, do you have a fire going 24 hours a day 365 days a year? How big is your house that you’re heating? Do you infact run a wood-fired power station?

colournoise

Interior of Goldsworthy’s wood store.

slainte 8) rob

donsimon
    Free Member

While the wood stores look great and I am somewhat jealous, I do feel compelled to comment on the third photo, the grass would appear to be a touch long and unruly (that’s just the grass growing in the walls), there is evidence of weeds, the tyre tracks do the site no justice and the gate really does need a bit of work. Otherwise it’s all good.

Stoner
    Free Member

* empathetic warm glow*

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I do feel compelled to comment on the third photo, the grass would appear to be a touch long and unruly (that’s just the grass growing in the walls), there is evidence of weeds, the tyre tracks do the site no justice and the gate really does need a bit of work.

Points noted. In my defence re the weeds. The picture was taken from a field. The gate does need attending to. 😳

nathaneddy
    Free Member

hope it’s a nice gorgeous efficient wood stove. Vermont Castings? Tho those Danish ones are supposed to be good

mcmoonter
    Free Member

hope it’s a nice gorgeous efficient wood stove. Vermont Castings?

Nope, it’s a Dovre Vintage 50, TV stylee.

theotherjonv

seriously? How much wood is that (in years worth to keep it simple)

nathaneddy
    Free Member

liking that stove.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

seriously? How much wood is that (in years worth to keep it simple)

Each bay is roughly 2.4m x 2.4m x 2.4m = 13.8 cubic m.

I’d hope it would last several years. We have the stove on every day.

I’d be curious what others consumption would be. I dont buy the wood in cubic metres. I just get a big trailer load from the sawmill that is probably a ton or two. What are people paying for a cubic metre?

Stoner
    Free Member

the going rate for seasoned hardwood round here (rural worcs) is about £90 a “load”. A load being a very flimsy SI unit equivalent to a heaped pile in the back of a big pick-up. I reckon that’s about 1.3m3

I got about 10 tonnes (around 18m3) of willow pollarding for £400 from a mate who has a farm and firewood business which will last me I reckon about 2-3 years.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

the going rate for seasoned hardwood round here (rural worcs) is about £90 a “load”.

I did a quick calculation, 7 x 13.8m x £90 = £8694

Even though it’s not all hardwood, thats a surprise. Thinks about a career change.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Even though it’s not all hardwood, thats a surprise. Thinks about a career change.

Be warned – people know the value of it now. The ‘wood fairies’ have been stealing not insignficant amounts from one of my colleagues and fellow coppicer who stores all our wood when it comes out of the woods prior to being processed.

hels
    Free Member

I went to a lecture by Andy Goldsworthy a couple of months ago. Spellbinding !

He started off by saying “tonight I will be talking mostly about colour” which went straight into red on my artsywankometer, but that was just his lead-in, then he showed us loads of great pics of him building his works, the practical side, and what he was thinking about.

Never known an hour to to pass so quickly.

Kunstler

What would Andy Goldsworthy do?

A nice, glossy coffee table book?

Stoner
    Free Member

7 x 13.8m x £90 = £8694

so 70 loads worth.

Wholesale wood is about £40-50 a tonne for cordwood.
    or around £20/m3 for hardwood.

So material cost commercially would be about £2k.
    Logging and splitting and delivering a load I reckon would take about maybe 2-3hrs a load? no idea.

Subtract delivery fuel, say 70*£5, costs are now: £2,350

So that leaves you £6,300 to pay for depreciation and time on 70 loads at 210hrs = £30ph. before taxes and other admin costs.

whatdya think? 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wholesale wood is about £40-50 a tonne for cordwood.

I pay £20 a load from the sawmill which is ten miles away. So £30 delivered to me.

It’s profitable!

Stoner
    Free Member

Although isnt a lot of your wood softwood with high volume of bark?

ourmaninthenorth

liking that stove.

Me too. Rather thrown my previous commitment to a Firebelly.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Although isnt a lot of your wood softwood with high volume of bark?

It’s a mixture of Oak, Beech and Larch. Most trees come with bark.

There was a thread on here locally where someone was trying to set up a charity recycling arb waste from the county’s parks. Sadly all their large arb waste is shredded. A source like that would be more local and possibly cheaper.

I was pondering the possibility of a business building and stocking woodsheds. You’d be adding value from the get go.

I might do a surveyette when we are open to the public in later in May.

There must be a load of people with aspirations to convert from Oil or Gas dependency for heating.

Stoner
    Free Member

Most trees come with bark.

I was thinking more that you had a lot of “squarings” from the outside of the cord when the rest of the wood is then machined, so generally higher bark:wood ratio

A local firewood supplier here has so much cordwood in stacks that it can be seen on google earth 🙂

He stores to season for a couple of years or so, then loads the cords into a logger/splitter machine. Deliveries are in the back of a tipping Defender110, or in a tipping trailer that takes two “loads”. Its a pretty big set up.

My mates who do firewood as a side line on the other hand have a tractor mounted splitter like yours, a couple of big eff-off chainsaws and a pickup truck and some farm buildings to store chopped wood under cover. They do it for beer money really, I dont think they could make enough fulltime from it to give up the day jobs as a farmer and a landscaper.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What would Andy Goldsworthy do?’ is closed to new replies.