• This topic has 35 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by colp.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What workstand?
  • colp

I’m looking for a new workstand, any recommendations for a good one that works well with modern carbon frames?

SirHC

Park PCS10 or PCS9

techsmechs
    Free Member

Park PRS-3.2-2 – If its for the garage, just dont mess about…

wildc4rd
    Free Member

The PCS10 is really good.Still always clamp the seatpost though really, regardless of frame.

flange
    Free Member

Just bought a Minoura Vergo-Excel 2 which clamps the bike by the front fork drop outs (or rear drop outs if you use the other clamp included). Only used it once but its much easier to clean the bike than a normal rack (holds it tighter) and adjusting any of the drive train seems easier as the bike is much higher in front of you if that makes sense. Also handy for carbon frames as you’re not clamping against carbon. Time will tell as to how long it lasts but it seems well made, if not Park quality.

Was discounted from £160 to £119

Fat-boy-fat

I wouldn’t go for the feedback stand. I have that one and it is not stable at all. I bought it as it is tall but it overbalances very easily at anything other than a low height for me.

fathomer

I’m currently debating between the Feedback Sport (cheapest one) and a Park PCS-10, so interested as well.

lovewookie

PCS 10 if you’re going for a clamp type rather than a BB supported type.

Tried loads, the PCS 10 has a much better clamp than the PCS9 which can often stick when trying to rotate it.

If you do go for it, fit a coathanger to it for shop roll, or buy the park one, either will do, but don’t get the wheel truing attachment, it’s a bit pants.

spacemonkey

I bought a cheapy £30-or-so stand 2-3 yrs ago from Amazon. It’s one of the rebranded jobbies out there. Have used it with carbon and non-carbon frames and it’s been first class. Rubber clamps, plenty of adjustment etc. The name begins with an ‘O’. Would only spend 4 times the price if I wanted top top quality and a smaller packed away footprint.

jimw
    Free Member

I bought one of these 6years or so ago:

https://www.merlincycles.com/bike-tools-workstand-49075.html

There are loads of other vesions of the same stand with different names on them.

Some find them too unstable, but I have used mine at least once a week, often three or four times, since I bought it and it has been fine for me doing all types of work on road bikes, MTB, kiddies bikes etc.

I keep saying I’ll get a better one when it breaks. It hasn’t shown any inclination to fail so I keep going with it

I always clamp the seatpost

schmiken

Park PRS-3.2-2 – If its for the garage, just dont mess about…

Pah. If you’re not going to mess about, then get a Kestrel.

http://www.kestrelcyclestands.co.uk/professional-range

jimmy

If a Park PCS10 is any good to you I’m selling mine

colp

Thanks for all the replies, how much are you looking for jimmy?

techsmechs
    Free Member

Pah. If you’re not going to mess about, then get a Kestrel.

http://www.kestrelcyclestands.co.uk/professional-range

Ive tried them – I’ve used one but always found myself tripping over the sticky out legs. Park stand is tidy-er in my opinion.

hot_fiat

I’ve got the revolution branded version of the one Jim has. Find it perfectly good enough. It’s only unstable if you clamp it by the saddle and drop the rear wheel out. You can fix that by removing the front wheel first. Kind of like a backwards lotus Elise (they’re prone to falling off 2 post lifts if mechanics remove both front wheels).

wrecker
    Free Member

Going against the grain as usual(!) I recommend the park prs21. I don’t like clamps on carbon bikes, or on dropper posts. Its a great bit of kit although I wish you could lock the legs out!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like the Feedback one that claps by the front forks. Works well for bikes with seat tubes that aren’t round. Not so good for bikes with guards fitted though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Happy with my PCS9, the 10 is nicer and if I worked in a LBS I’d have one, but for home spannering it’s great.

Northwind

I have a Minoura W3100, it’s ace. Not sure I’d pay what they cost now, mind.

slackboy

I bought one of these 6years or so ago:

Me too. I’ve been pleased with it. Gets used every week for something or other.

leeerm
    Free Member

If you don’t mind spending some cash, Kestrel are the absolute creme de la creme. They’re around £500.

slowoldman

The Merlin one works fine for me too. I don’t recall it costing that much though.

ctk
    Free Member

£25 in Lidl at the mo.

colp

The Lidl ones are great for the money but I fancy treating myself.
    Looks like the PRS 21 doesn’t take a 142 axle.
    I reckon I’ll go for a PRS 10.

scheisenberg
    Free Member

I’m using the Elite Race Workstand. No clamping. Super stable. Love it.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-race-workstand/

wheelsonfire1

I have used the Park Tools PRS-25 Team Issue repair stand professionally for a few years now, good in the workshop and mobile at events. The clamp is suitable for carbon fibre frames and the stand is good for heavier electric bikes too. I have used the Kestrel stands too but the Park clamp is so much better. Hope this helps.

schmiken

Kestrel used to do a flat plate stand which was good but super heavy, can’t find it on the site now though.

colp

Tempted by the PRS 25 but it’s £228 at the cheapest!
    Might have a glass of wine, that always helps me buy stuff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well my Feedback is an awful lot more stable than my Minoura was, which was basically the bike tools one with a better clamp.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Used to use a kestrel one in a former job, it was absolutely solid as a rock but I definitely tripped over the stand more than once. For home I’ve got an older iteration of the Park PCS-4 which has been fine for 10+ years, folds up and is easy to move around so I can work outdoors if the weathers good.

Can’t say if it’s specifically good with carbon frames as I always clamp at the seatpost.

granny_ring

On the whole I like the PCS 10, the clamp is good and it’s more stable than the cheapy stand I had but, does anyone else have a problem with the upright twisting to the side sometimes?

edlong
    Free Member

the PCS 10 has a much better clamp than the PCS9 which can often stick when trying to rotate it.

I have this problem with the PCS10 – tighten it up much and it “sticks” – needs a good bit of force to unstick it, which is fine with a bike in (leverage) but not without – anyone know what’s causing / how to fix it – it didn’t do it when it was new?

On the whole I like the PCS 10, the clamp is good and it’s more stable than the cheapy stand I had but, does anyone else have a problem with the upright twisting to the side sometimes?

Yeah, that too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got a feedback pro like the ratchet knob clamp much kinder to tubes than cam over type

Not sure what the guy above who’s stands falling over is doing with it. Mines stable when on the flat concrete of the garage floor

colp

wheelsonfire1 – Member
    I have used the Park Tools PRS-25 Team Issue repair stand professionally for a few years now, good in the workshop and mobile at events. The clamp is suitable for carbon fibre frames and the stand is good for heavier electric bikes too. I have used the Kestrel stands too but the Park clamp is so much better. Hope this helps.

I went and ordered one of these through Quidco/Evans, should be under £230 with cashback.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What workstand?’ is closed to new replies.