Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What wood to make raised beds?
  • bikerevivesheffield

Is like to make 3 X 3*1m raised beds, 300mm high to be used year on year.

What wood is good to use? Thinking treated decking that won’t leech into soil (is there such a thing?)
    Or
    Scaffold boards?

Help!

dyna-ti

Scaffold boards would be fine. You can usually find used boards, so will save money there. Try gumtree or ebay near to you.

frankconway

Untreated reclaimed tropical hardwood sleepers; massively more durable than oak.
    Not exactly cheap…

blokeuptheroad

Watching with interest,

I made three raised beds with scaffold boards which I treated with a few coats of supposedly ‘safe’ wood preservative. I only paid £5 each for 13′ boards – bargain, or so I thought but it proved to be a false economy. They lasted 2-3 years before rotting badly,  Looking to replace them this autumn., which will be a massive PITA involving moving tons of soil. I have access to some pukka old fashioned coal tar creosote which would probably make the scaffold boards last longer, but probably not wise from a leaching/soil contamination perspective.  Pressure treated timber lined with heavy duty polythene to limit chemical leaching?  Dunno tbh so keen to see what others suggest.

kayak23

Oh, thought you meant for the kids in a shared bedroom.
    Carry on 👍

dogbone

i used 100mm x 100mm  fence posts. Nice and chunky but the price of them now is crazy.

frankconway

kayak, my answer still stands; as for tar derived creosote for kids beds – maybe not…

blokeuptheroad

as for tar derived creosote for kids beds – maybe not

Never did me any harm. It’s that kind of elf ‘n’ safety woke nonsense that’s sending the country to hell in a hand cart!😉😂

rsl1
    Free Member

If you do go down the scaffold route, swifties on abbeydale road do used scaffold board @ £1 a foot (If I remember correctly)

dc1988

I bought treated pine sleepers, they were cheaper and much easier to move than reclaimed sleepers. I used creocote to treat them but have stapled plastic sheeting on the inside edges so the soil doesn’t touch the wood. They still look brand new after two years.

frankconway

bloke – does that explain your permanent orange-brown skin colour?

tomtomthepipersson

I’ve used 200x100mm untreated pine sleepers in the past – local timber merchant or eBay, whichever is cheapest. I lined the inside with a polythene membrane and stained them black to match the other woodwork in the garden.

blokeuptheroad

bloke – does that explain your permanent orange-brown skin colour?

Now you come to mention it? 🤔 Maybe the perma whiff of tar too?

joat

To line them, I used a load of those vinyl advertising banners you see zip-tied to railings. Your local council might regularly remove them because they rarely have planning permission. Worth an ask. Alternatively put on some hi-viz and liberate some.

frankconway

bloke – as for the perma whiff of tar, think of it as the ‘mature’ man’s version of lynx…

flannol
    Free Member

Untreated reclaimed tropical hardwood sleepers; massively more durable than oak.

This or accoya

wheelsonfire1

I wouldn’t use wood for raised beds again, even the beautiful untreated sleepers made out of some sort of red wood (underground?) rot and are lovely places for slugs eventually. I replaced mine with cheap, secondhand 3’x 2’ in brexit money, concrete slabs, set them in a bit of concrete, a bit of dexion on the joins with screws and plugs to keep them in line. Job done. It cost me a hernia though!
    Any charity donation for that saddle yet? @bikerevivesheffield

dc1988

I should also add that my sleepers are sitting on gravel, the hope being that any water will drain and they are less likely to rot from below

frankconway

Untreated jarrah or ekki: come back in 50 years.

cheers_drive

I used gravel boards which are rot free after 8 years. The pegs didn’t last that long though and were replaced with galvanised pegs and corner brackets.
    Also used fence old posts that had rotted at the base. Cut 30cm off the bottom and they look good too.

timba
    Free Member

3m x 3m? You might want to go 2@ 3m x 1.5m or you’ll be trampling your raised bed to reach the middle
    You could go full Bob Flowerdew and use car tyres and an old freezer

Wibble89
    Free Member

timba

3m x 3m? You might want to go 2@ 3m x 1.5m or you’ll be trampling your raised bed to reach the middle

Wow he’s building one million 3m by 3m beds in his garden? 😉

Think that’s three 3m by 1m, no?

timba
    Free Member

Think that’s three 3m by 1m, no?

3 X 3*1m…now you come to mention it 🙂
    3@ 3m x 1m, definitely in sunken commercial freezer territory 🙂

bikerevivesheffield

Three 3*1m
    🤣

@wheelsonfire1
    not yet no as not had a chance to try it/ride it/fart

Been off for a bit with concussion 😭

matt_outandabout

Mine are made with the floor joists from the Co-Op in Dunblane when it was renovated.
    #SkipDiver

nickjb
    Free Member

I used timber from the crates that Indian patio slabs get delivered in. Seems a pretty decent hardwood. the runners are about 70mm square so pretty sturdy. The rest of the crate makes great firewood, although you might want to use this too, to save getting so many crates. My bed has been in for a years now without any signs of going anywhere. Regularly see the crates around so quite easy to source.

5lab

I thought myself to brick lay during covid lockdown, made a high (2′) raised planter. Wasn’t cheap or quick but looks nice and will outlast anything wood

stumpyjon

Used decking myself, lined with damp proof course. Not particularly cheap but fine 3 years in.

fossy

Decking lined with plastic. We’ve two 2m x 1m beds that have been there 6 years. I just treat them with decking oil.

molgrips
    Free Member

Treated softwood will rot quite quickly depending on conditions. We have used Oak “sleepers” for our garden, they will be good for 30-50 years and were £35 each.

Real reclaimed railway sleepers are rare and expensive now.

I should also add that my sleepers are sitting on gravel, the hope being that any water will drain

Yeah probably draun away from the plants that need it. Sounds like a terrible idea!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for some kind of plastic liner and then just use treated wood.

I built one untreated for food and one with some treated offcuts, the treated one is still there, there’s no evidence of the untreated one after a few years!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.