Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • What won't you let go of as MTB technology advances?
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

The chain. Rollers, rivets, plates.

Lock on OURY grips.

32:14 only

Pretty sure someone somewhere is hatching a plan to meddle with this for some reason.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

They joy of riding whatever bikes are available with whatever technology that allows me to explore further – faster

Scapegoat

Hanging onto:
    26″…like I can ride well enough to make a difference? Spare me!

2×9 and 2x 10. Fat, arthritic 50 year old pushing a 32t single up any sort of hill? Do me a favour!

Currently embracing :
    Tubeless. At last count there were over 30 self sealed holes in my tyres. That’s a lot of riding time, or getting on for two centuries in middle-aged MTBer faffing years.

Oh, and HT2. Light and it works.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My 26″ wheeled filing cabinet with triple rings, all of which I use & have absolutely no bother with.
    No plans whatsoever to change anything about it.

smett72

Cane Creek Ergo bar ends for me.

justatheory
    Free Member

Riding uphill

richmtb

685mm is wide enough
    9 Speed

edhornby

I’m staying with mechanical gears, I can’t be arsed with having to keep an eye on whether the battery in my bike is charged so that it will move the gears – whole point about a bike is that you can get it out of the shed and go and ride it save for a quick tyre pump and chain lube

Northwind

The things I’m holding onto are the things where I don’t think the claimed advances, are actually advances- they’re just differences. When things are better, I’ll switch.

D0NK

and don’t need a compressor
    and 99.9% of the time, hold in all the air and seat the tyre bead first time

and release all the air upto 6 times a ride.
    personal experience (@45psi), YMMV etc

Multiple bikes would be my keeper I guess – arguably a stupid idea. Droppers, 1×11, carbon super bikes, leccy shifting etc all sound good but costs too much. If I went to one bike I could probably afford bling stuff, but….I like having a singlespeed, a lakes bike (slacker, heavier and more travel) a nice “normal” bike and a parts bin bike that gets all my old parts to eke every bit of moneys worth out of them and gets ridden through winter/rain/mud without worrying about ruining my bestest gear.

Only owning 1 bike at a time would mean switching to the new “standards” every 3 or 4 years would be less of a PITA too.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hmm. Well by the end of the week I will have the following.

FS Bike
    Carbon
    160mm forks(20mm axle)
    Wide bars
    1×10
    26″ wheels
    Tubes
    Short stem
    Dropper

HT bike
    Steel
    140mm forks (20mm axle)
    wide bars
    2×9
    26″ wheels
    Tubes
    Short stem
    Rigid post

So on the FS its tubes and arguably a 20mm axle on a trail bike. And on the HT its tubes, 20mm axle, 2×9, rigid post and steel frame.

I refuse to call different wheel sizes an advancement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Someone pitched in with 15mm vs 20mm, I now have stiffer 15mm forks than a lot of 20mm used to be, it’s a con in some ways spec a 20mm axle to cover up the fact you cant make stiff light forks 🙂

danielgroves
    Free Member

Circular wheels. Not sure square ones will be as effective.

Seriously though, I’m currently riding a rigid single speed 29er. So there isn’t much I have.

However, it does have big wheels, short stem and wide bars.

Next build though will be 140mm, 650b hard tail running 1*10, have a dropper, tubeless, and all the other commodities I miss from my Meta before it was stolen. Cannot. Wait.

andytherocketeer

and release all the air upto 6 times a ride.

or release all the air a whopping 3 times in 7000 km 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m hanging on to 26 inch wheels, 20mm axles and cables.

I’ve embraced wider bars, dropper posts, slack head angles, 1×10, tubeless because it all makes by bike better.

I have no interest in electric shifter or suspension control. Water and electrics don’t seem like a good idea to me in the long run.

I’ve mostly avoided carbon to date too, but that’s because I’m tight.

pictonroad

DMR V8’s, bought some of these thinner pedals for one bike, can’t say I notice much of an improvement tbh, they can stay on the other bikes.

mjsmke

26″ and inner tubes.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What won't you let go of as MTB technology advances?’ is closed to new replies.