Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • What wonderful things did people get you for your 40th birthday?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My 40th is coming up and my parents and some other people have asked what I would like as a gift.
    I have a couple of ideas but I’d like to hear what other people received as presents to give me some inspiration.

FWIW I’m having a big party with all my pals and plenty of naughty stuff in a big mansion with a hot tub, have bought myself a Ducati and have a divorce and a Les Paul, so already got most of the cliches out the way. Never banged a prozzer though…

johndoh
    Free Member

Stay classy hero.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I had a mountain biking weekend and stayed in the Old Canon Brewery in Bury St Edmunds….
    Bought the other half a leather motorbike jacket for his 40th

grum
    Free Member

Ooni pizza oven from my ma which is the best thing ever – mostly just loads of whisky from pals. I did tell people not to bother though because I’m not a child and I can just buy stuff if I want it generally. 😉

Did have a big rave party in a barn (which also had a hot tub outside in fact) in a beautiful spot in Cumbria, which I DJed at and also played with a ludicrously excessive smoke machine. Good times!

doris5000

My friends mostly bought me booze. My wife bought me a nice camera, and my parents (bless them) gave me £500 to put towards a new synthesizer of my choice. Which felt kind of odd, but also appropriate, since that was pretty much the first time they’d bought me a present since my 18th… when they got me a synthesizer 😆

marksnook
    Free Member

Pretty sure I got some socks! Maybe some other bits but didn’t really need anything!
    That all sounds very middle aged 😂

MarkyG82

Following. Over a year till mine but still useful info.

tjagain

Nothing significant because thats what I told them to do. My family and friends do not do big pressies anyway – never have

I did have a big party tho

jimw
    Free Member

My partner gave me the most expensive present I have ever had for my 40th, but it has been so worth it.
    A weeks holiday on Bryher, Isles of Scilly, somewhere I had always wanted to go. Why the most expensive? Well, we have been back 15 times since……

pictonroad

A massive pie.

highly recommended.

grum
    Free Member

@doris5000 what synth did you get? 🙂

jimmy

Went touring with friends for a few days from Aviemore – Inverness – ft William – Oban. Doable for everyone, great times. No tangible gift but probably the best “present” for them all to come along

(They also bought me a bottle of Scapa 16 whisky, a favourite which had stopped being made – nice touch).

kilo

Roberts custom built road bike from Mrs Kilo and a trip to the Ghent 6.

ads678

Close friends and family chipped a few quid each and bought me a new snowboard. I was well happy.

jaminb
    Free Member

A chainsaw and a weekend off D I bxstxrd Y

sweaman2
    Free Member

Once in a lifetime trip to Lofoten Islands – a place I’d always wanted to go to but never managed until then.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Mine fell slap bang in the middle of lockdown last summer, so was a bottle of gin and a stack of IOU’s to “do something nice when we’re allowed” that, if I’m honest I’m not expecting to come to fruition.

woody2000

Nothing as far as I remember.  In fact, come to think of it, I’m not sure anyone’s ever bought me anything of any significance for any of my birthdays.  I’m 50 in a fortnight, anyone want to buy me a nice pair of socks?

myti
    Free Member

I got some nice knives. A 2 day Indian cookery course at a very good chef school.

grim168
    Free Member

I bought myself a hewitt cheviot se tourer and did lejog

CountZero

Can’t remember, it was 27 years ago…

doris5000

Grum – for my 18th, or my 40th? 😉

For my 40th, it was a Novation Peak. I got a 2nd hand one off eBay. Really handy little beast 🙂

binners

Our kid got me/us tickets for LCD Sound System at Hyde Park, a mountain of class A’s and a first class train ticket to that London

It was quite a weekend 😃

finbar
    Free Member

I’m not sure anyone’s ever bought me anything of any significance for any of my birthdays.

I’m glad it’s not just me then…

loum
    Free Member

You should definitely ask your parents to pay for that last idea of yours…

Pyro

I think I got a bottle of whisky. I mean, it was only last November so I should remember, but it was also in lockdown. I know we got a nice takeaway meal from Prashad, though.

bearnecessities

For my 40th I was single and just did what I wanted to do:

I bought travel chips:

Arrived here:

Had a walk and stalked some sheep:

And then stuffed myself, fighting off some ducks.

the-muffin-man

Went bankrupt! It was a great year! 🤪

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Just been discussing my 40th with my OH. I don’t want gifts. A week in Iceland fly fishing.

I am quite jealous of Binners’s 40th though!

convert

My dad died on mine. Birthdays have been a bit of a shite concept since.

So using that as a base datum for having a great day, I’m sure yours will be fine and dandy whatever you do or get bought for you.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

My friends clubbed together to get me this:

https://thebigcatsanctuary.org/photography/

I very briefly stroked a Tiger (but don’t tell the keeper)

This is how close I got.

Just after this I had to wipe Tiger dribble off the lens after the Tiger licked it.

One of the best days of my life.

rOcKeTdOg

I got a decree absolute 👍👍

TiRed

My mother gave me a “surprise” family and friends birthday party at a hotel that has stages most big family events in our lives for more than fifty years. Was a lovely sunny day, the kids played in the outdoor pool, we all had fun. It was great. Presents? Well I bought myself a Titanium Merlin Cyrene – subsequently stolen. I can’t recall any others. Activities will trump things when it comes to look back.

onewheelgood

Mount Vision

My family got me one of these. State of the art.

beej

A bottle of 40 year old port, and a white gold copy of a cheap pewter pendant I’d had on a necklace for 20 years.

reluctantjumper

My 40th happened last year a few days after the restrictions came back in after christmas. As I wasn’t working and all my friends were too far away to even meet in a park I spent the day doing bugger-all and ordering in a pizza. As for presents I got a Haynes Manual for my from-me-to-me 40th present and a new set of tyres for one of the bikes. Never really been a birthday person anyway (having yours a few days after christmas means it’s always a bit shit) so doing nothing special sort of suited me. Was planning an Alps trip this summer but that got canned due to restriction uncertainty so haven’t done anything special for the big 4-0 at all. Didn’t for my 30th either, my 21st was reasonable (met my mates in the pub, nothing special) and my 18th was just a complete disaster. Not planning anything for my 50th.

Ambrose

A party at Carreg Cennen Castle followed by a trip back to Iceland to cycle the Kjolor.

Houns

Stuff all

neila

Cotic BFe frame in green that I built up over a few months. Its still hanging in the garage, I’ll be 49 next week.

P20

My fabulous wife took me to the British Grand Prix. Which also happened to have Mansells FW14b running as a bonus! I was like a kid in a sweet shop. Such a great weekend.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WT54Ge]DSC_0010[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘What wonderful things did people get you for your 40th birthday?’ is closed to new replies.