Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • what winter riding clothes gets your vote.
  • gee111
    Free Member

Hi i’m looking at buying some new winter riding clothes. Mainly jacket, trousers and gloves. Can anyone reccomend any that wont brake the bank. Thanks in advance.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Endura stealth jacket

ton

altura stuff
    dhb stuff
    endura stuff
    most of all the stuff from these folk is good.

defydude
    Free Member

Aldi stuff.

anto164
    Free Member

Endura Stealth Jacket.

Sealskinz socks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Never been let down by Endura mtb kit.

Assos for road stuff.

Giro for gloves.

Mugboo

Ron hill tracksters/bikesters.

gee111
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys lads.

rOcKeTdOg

endura stealth for the minus temp days, otherwise too hot for me

gee111
    Free Member

so what do you use rocketdog?

john_drummer
    Free Member

sealskinz socks
    any old padded lycra shorts*
    Aldi leggings on top of the shorts*
    any old base layer
    Altura jacket
    a buff*
    pretty much any gloves, full finger*
    normal lid

* unless it’s particularly mild in which case
    sealskinz socks – don’t like wet cold feet
    padded baggy shorts – I think they’re Altura but I could be wrong
    any old short-sleeved base layer
    Altura jacket if rain is threatening, Aldi softshell if not
    no buff
    fingerless gloves
    normal lid

I can’t stand being too warm. If shorts are good enough for footballers for 90+ minutes then they’re good enough for me for a 2 hour ride. If it’s mild I’ll also probably roll my jacket sleeves up & probably also open the zip to mid belly level. Can’t stand being too warm, did I mention that?

In conclusion then, the only thing I swear by in winter is sealskinz socks. anything else goes

rOcKeTdOg

i use altura night vision with icebreaker merino underneath

stevie750

ground effect stuff is really good.

Even though it is in new zealand, delivery is normally less than a week.

will1
    Free Member

Another vote for Endura Stealth

spw3

Pace jacket. Basic but excellent and you reproof it by ironing it!

druidh
    Free Member

Stealth Tights. Mine are 4 winters old now and no longer as waterproof but I commuted every day in them last winter when the roads were really tragic.
    I see that the new Endura Equipe tights have “Stealth” panels on arse and shin. I reckon that could be a real winner.

bikebouy
    Free Member

3/4bibs, thermal base layer

catnash
    Free Member

Ground effect daddy longlegs, had three pairs over the last few years.
    Defeet woolie boolie socks, both lo and high ones.
    Helly hansen base layers.
    Have a GORE Victory jacket 10 years old and I’ve only just retired it for a Montane thin jacket. Have a e-vent Endura jacket for the real wet bad days.
    Gore Phantom (wish I’d got a red one instead of a battleship grey one)
    Lake winter boots from merlin 7 years old and comes out for the cold days.
    Latex gloves under any of my gloves.
    Next on my list of ‘to buy’ is a pair of Specialized winter gloves that lets me have a good grip of the bars.
    Have a Gore skull cap agin for the real cold days.
    Never had luck with sealskins though.
    Have DHB Roubaix tights as well as a impulse buy.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Another vote for bikester / tracksters

sambob
    Free Member

Aldi ftw.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ground effect Merino long sleeve jersey 3/4 length bibs, seal skins. Gillet if it gets cold.

Northwind

Waterproof shorts! So good, and not even expensive. (Altura Attack for £30…) Once you’ve used waterproof shorts it’s kind of hard to accept anything else on wet or muddy days.

Merino sock liners on Sealskinz is the sock combination of the gods. Kneepads provide knee warmth 😉

Other’n that, I run hot so pretty easy. Fox Antifreeze gloves- only gloves I’ve had that can keep me warm in serious minus temperatures. Cheap fleeces (keep you warm when you stop, let you cool when you move), for the coldest of days the mighty Aldi softshell.

colournoise

Another ‘hot runner’ here, so cold weather gear is pretty minimal.

Normal riding gear (Fox or Oakley jersey and Oakley/Somrio baggies with Fox Unabombers) plus –

silk glove liners (or underarmour synthetic ones if it’s proper cold).
    Nike compression top as a base layer (or cheap thermal base layer from Blacks for proper cold).
    Buff.
    cheapish but good Technicals softshell if it’s REALLY cold.

Just have to watch my hands in the cold as I have (relatively mild) Raynaud’s syndrome, so I tend to make sure they are warm and dry before riding and carry some chemical handwarmers with me (numb, immobile fingers and trying to brake/shift are not a happy mix on wet, muddy or frosty winter terrain).

slainte 😀 rob

mau00149
    Free Member

How do people find sealskin socks? Have heard mixed reviews, some say great as keep your feet dry, other say that they will keep them wet as water / sweat cant get out….

james
    Free Member

Sealskinz socks – though not hugely happy with them, never warm when really cold, nor ever really warm up if/when water goes over the top IME, though doesn’t help that (SPD’d) feet don’t do all that much when riding
    Fleecy Knee Warmers as a milder temp/wetter conditions set in
    Water Resistant (but still fairly thin) gloves for wet/windy/above 0degC (Specialized something or other)
    3/4 Fleecy Endura Thermolite bibknickers if I think it’ll be cold, often if goign for an XC/road ride sans baggies
    Fleecy Knee/Shin warmers with normal bibs under baggies for colder/darker months
    Waterproof/resistant shorts for wetter rides
    (polar) buff/choob. The trekmates ‘choob’ can be found cheaper than ‘genuine’ buff models
    Less than 0degC I use some pretty thick gloves (Specialized something) that have air pockets on the ends of each finger (fingers stuck up against the ends of gloves get cold very easily). These are very bulky though. Will rarely ride with them all ride, even when its around -10
    I am another ‘hot runner’ though

Re: Altura Attack, where can you get them for £30?

Northwind

Ah, sorry, that was a typo- £40, they are, from Myspokes. Still a total bargain though.

mau00149 – Member

How do people find sealskin socks?

Wee bit variable… Mine were great for a long time but now they’re knackered, let too much water in at the top. Quite tempted to poke a hole in the toes to let it back out :mrgreen:

samuri
    Free Member

Endura and Aldi. My entire winter wardrobe is made up of clothes from these manufacturers.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘what winter riding clothes gets your vote.’ is closed to new replies.