Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What winter bib tights (looking like that time of year again) … :-(
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade my winter tights. The ones I have right now are lower end Giordana ones, and my legs get soaking wet and cold in them during persistent rain. Looking at getting something that does a half decent job of blocking out the wet/wind… for at least the first 1-2 hours of a ride if possible. Any recommendations? Don’t mind spending top dollar if they do the job. I like a close fit too. Cheers.

welshfarmer

I have a pair of these. Definitely my goto tights when the temps dip to minus figures. Always warm, even when wet, and feel good whatever the conditions. Can normally be found discounted like in this link (think it is the same price I gave 18 months ago

http://startcycles.co.uk/orca-velo-torque-merino-bib-tight-with-stirrup-mrnom6043bk-black.html

michaelmcc
    Free Member

They look good alright. Aren’t Orca best known for their triathlon wetsuits?

jonnyrockymountain

What’s the sizing like on those orca ones?

welshfarmer

I am 6 foot, average build, average in most ways I guess 🙂 and mine are a Large and fit well.

smogmonster

OP, I don’t know what size you’re after but I have some Gore Xenon Windstopper tights that are for sale. I wore them once before I found they were too tight around my thighs (I used to play a lot of rugby…). Size Large, immaculate condition. Cost £140 from Wiggle, after £100 if any use to you.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Got my Aldi ones from last winter. Not that waterproof, but wind proof covering on the important bits. May get used on the commute tomorrow.

CaptJon
    Free Member

i used these all last winter http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-sorpasso-bib-tights/

not wind or waterproof but plenty warm enough to to notice the wind or rain. Nice and tight too which almost gives a compression feel. Excellent cut.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve been using these for the last couple of years. They have a water resistant coating that does work and are very warm in the depths of winter. Above 10 degrees I find them too warm though.

simondbarnes

I’m using Castelli Sorpasso and Castelli Fluido Nanoflex. The Sorpassos are nicer to wear (stretchier) but the fluido nanoflex are good when it’s damp and windy.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Size Large, immaculate condition.

Cheers boyo but I’m a size S or M in most makes! So doubt L would work.

Two shouts for the Castelli ones though. Could be on to something there…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone used the Castelli Velocissimo bibs? Look good value at just over fiddy quid

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve always really rated the mavic inferno bibs. I used them and stayed comfortable In a 120+ mile ride which dipped to -5

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Whats the benefit of bib tights versus standard lycra bottoms, they don’t seem to offer much upper body warmth?

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I’ve been really happy with the DHB Vaeon Roubaix Pro Padded Bib Tight. Same pad as the excellent DHB Aeron Pro Bib Short but really night and cosy with decent reflective bits.

DHB Vaeon Roubaix Pro Tights

simondbarnes

Whats the benefit of bib tights versus standard lycra bottoms, they don’t seem to offer much upper body warmth?

Comfort – no waist restriction
    Warmer – no gaps if upper layers ride up, bit of an extra layer.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

The ones I’ve had go much higher on the back compared to bib shorts. So warmer than bottoms I imagine.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

ah cheers!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Anyone a fan of Gore ones?

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Instantly upgrade your clothes to waterproof using Nikwax

lunge

These from Decathlon, very warm, not overly waterproof but warm when wet and a comfortable chamois. The fit is a bit odd so you need to try them on but they fit me fine.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/membrane-tights-700-black-id_8282699.html

matt_outandabout

I have some Scott ones, with soft shell panels at shin and back of knee. It does work well at keeping wet at bay for as long as possible, but more importantly it dries quickly and keeps the wind off. I combine with waterproof shorts on really wet rides.

somafunk

2nd’ed for the Castelli Sorpasso, I have to admit to getting my pair cheap (but still £100) as i used to work in a bike shop, i used to laugh at the idea of spending that much money but the fit of them is perfect for me (size up) and they are very warm, not waterproof but the surface does not get water logged at all, the finish of the clothing and fit is worth it.

I now own a few items of Castelli gear bought at normal prices since i left the bike shop, Gabba jersey and Mortirolo shell jacket which is a fantastic bit of kit.

I sized up for all the Castelli gear even though i am always a medium in other cycling gear but Castelli stuff seems to be built for skinny italian roadies.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

For MTB use are you wearing shorts over the top? or going all out roadie look?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone used the Castelli Velocissimo bibs? Look good value at just over fiddy quid

Yes, but annoyingly the little scorpion motifs came off after 2 washes..
    Not a major drama, but just, well, a bit annoying.

deadkenny
    Free Member

cruzcampo – Member
    For MTB use

… bibs are gay 😛

Seriously though, I just don’t get them. Racing perhaps, but weekend warrior types, it’s just an inconvenience in many ways, especially for toilet stops, and looks awful. Only benefit I can see is to suck in those guts 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Altura Raceline roubaix bib tights half price at cyclestore, code AUG10 takes another 10% off.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productSearch.asp?freetext=altura+raceline

Just got some 3/4s and they are very nicely finished, the equal of my more expensive top-of-the-range Giordana FRC.

lunge

Seriously though, I just don’t get them. Racing perhaps, but weekend warrior types, it’s just an inconvenience in many ways, especially for toilet stops, and looks awful. Only benefit I can see is to suck in those guts

I’m a big advocate of bibs for both shorts and tights, let me pick apart your comment and tell you why.

Looks – You’re a grown man on a bike, you look like a fool anyway. The bibs look no worse than any other lycra shorts/tights as soon as you put a top on, if you don’t like Lycra put baggies over the top.

Inconvenience – They’re stretchy if you need a pee, if you need a poo then you have to undress a touch more but this is pretty rare on a ride surely.

Just why? – Well, they’re stop annoying gaps when your top rides up, they’re more comfortable as the pad stays where it should, they’re warmer. What more do you need?

Saccades
    Free Member

2nd the Pearl Izumi, I should have bought more in the sale.

I generally wear bibshorts in the summer with shorts over the top as the tight lyrca means the girls perv on me as I walk through work.

In winter the bibtights are so thick you just get a general bulge so there is no need to cover up and protect my modesty.

jam-bo

let me pick apart your comment and tell you why.

*swoon*

are you a big hitter?

iainc

DHB Vaeon Roubaix ones are a steal compared to the big names. I have 2 pairs and use them from October through to March, both road and MTB. I also have a pair of the Vaeon Zero ones, which are incredibly warm, to much so most of the time, however they are a bit non stretchy on the windproof sections. On a windy roadride with air temp around 2-4 degrees they are perfect !

c_klein87

Without any doubt id recommend Castelli Sorpasso tights, so comfy and even keep my pencil legs warm! never got on with the dhb pads but they are warm, avoid altura unless you’re altura shaped

lunge

jam bo, sadly not a big hitter, just a guy who loves bib shorts.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

jam bo, sadly not a big hitter, just a guy who loves bib shorts.

I was a slow convert to bibs, the main benefit for me is not having the constricting feeling of tight waistband (and my BMI is 21 before you go down that road). Taking a pee is ooh, about 5% more hassle with bibs but they are far more comfortable.

And if people can see youre wearing bibs its because youve got them over your jersey

in which case you deserve all the derision you get. And ritual stoning.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

For MTB use are you wearing shorts over the top? or going all out roadie look?

Sometimes shorts on top, sometimes I just go for the full roadie look!

Anyone tried Gore ones? I like the neon yellow back on them.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What winter bib tights (looking like that time of year again) … :-(’ is closed to new replies.