• This topic has 31 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What will remove adhesive from my car?
  • sarawak
    Free Member

Got a new car. Unfortunately the guys at Arnold Clark “forgot” to properly clean all the adhesive that holds the protective film onto the body, mainly bonnet and roof.
    I’ve tried the usual stuff – white spirit, soap and water etc but nothing shifts it. The interweb is full of stuff, but which works? Which won’t chew the paintwork up?

kayak23

Angle grinder would do it.

Failing that, nail polish remover. You can get acetone-free stuff that I’ve found still works well.

Also, wd40 can work too.

legend
    Free Member

Before you start attacking the paintwork of your new car – send it back to Arnold Clark to make it their problem?

wwaswas

take it back to Arnold Clark – if they **** it up they have to put it right…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Take it back to Arnold Clark and get them to do it.

Also, get them to remove that hateful yellow sticker on the rear window while they’re at it.

andybrad

yup send it back, itll probably need compounding after as well

legend
    Free Member

itll probably need compounding after as well

You’ve now gone beyond the skill set of the Arnold Clark valet monkey

nickfrog
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t send it back they’ll swirl your car to buggery. Use a solvent called Autosmart Tardis. It will shift it safely. 1L of it should be enough.

sarawak
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed going back to Arnold Clark. They weren’t exactly brilliant when I bought the car. And it’s an hour away. And they won’t do it there and then.

Big yellow sticker went as soon as I got home.

Will have a look for the Tardis stuff.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Goo Gone

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sudocrem.

footflaps

Sudocrem.

Only works on cats…

bikebouy
    Free Member

They weren’t exactly brilliant when I bought the car

You dont say ?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Isopropyl alcohol

retro83
    Free Member

De Solv It – Sticky Stuff Remover

I used it to remove a broken badge from my car. Did the job no problem and didn’t dick up the paint. Recommendation came from Detailing World.

sarawak
    Free Member

They weren’t exactly brilliant when I bought the car

You dont say ?

Well it wasn’t a great surprise, but the deal was too good to pass up on. £7,500 off a brand new car because it had 11 miles on the clock? Pre registered the themselves of course so technically I’m the 2nd owner, but who cares for that sort of discount?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Tar remover.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You would have thought that the manufacturers would use adhesive that wouldn’t need a solvent to remove it…. (in fact I’m sure they do). Are you sure that’s what it’s from?

wwaswas

Are you sure that’s what it’s from?

My guess is that it was stickered up by the dealer when it was on their forecourt/showroom (‘buy this car for only £199/month’) and the residue is from that.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tardis is good stuff

perchypanther
    Free Member

Use a solvent called Autosmart Tardis. It will shift it safely. 1L of it should be enough.

1 litre comes in a 100ml bottle presumably?

hopeforthebest
    Free Member

Ayyyy lmao

matt_outandabout

Also, get them to remove that hateful yellow sticker on the rear window while they’re at it.

I keep meaning to tape over the one on my reg plate.

+1 on Arnold Clark valet monkey skilz being akin to the first half of Karate kid rather than second half.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Not met much that can withstand Aitoglym intensive tar remover, which despite the name removes all manner of things including adhesives and is really good as a general degreaser. Works great on windshields. Followed by mother’s gold prewax cleaner or similar. You’ll have to rewax though as both remove it.

timbog160

Why not try a hair dryer – warm enough to soften the adhesive but not so hot as to cause damage?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Try some tar remover…seems to remove tar pretty quick smart, even if its been left on for weeks, and if it can do that it should eat through some vinyl adhesive no problem.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used the Autoglym intensive tar remover mentioned above for similar stuff before and it worked well.

joshvegas
    Free Member

lighterfluid

bsims
    Free Member

120 grit sand paper. Failing that tar remover if you want to do it yourself or a professional as you have just bought a new car.If you balls it up you will be kicking yourself for a long time!

sarawak
    Free Member

Well the Autoglym seems to be the market leader, and I can pick some up tomorrow.

Think I’ll pass on the sandpaper suggestion!!!

bsims
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got the auto glym stuff, it will also get a reasonable amount of baked on brake dust off too, without causing any damage

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What will remove adhesive from my car?’ is closed to new replies.